+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Successful ECV story

I wasn't really sure where to put this but I wanted to share my experience of having an external cephalic version yesterday.

At first I wasn't very keen on the idea but the midwife and doctor seemed to support it rather than going straight to a C-Section, plus I am in the Family Birth Centre and would like to stay there. My baby has switched from breech to ceph throughout the pregnancy so I had a feeling it was more about him being a wriggly baby then having any reason to be breech. This was confirmed with a scan on Wednesday which showed him to have normal fluid, average size on all the charts, complete breech and yep - very active!

So DH and I went into the hospital at 8am and they did my initial obs and monitored the baby’s heartbeat straight away. They could see he was a very happy boy in there so then we had to wait a bit for the doctor to be called. A midwife from the birth centre came up to see me because my middy was on her day off, so that was really nice! After awhile a whole heap of people came in and gave me some drugs to relax my uterus and they did a scan to confirm bub was still breech (he was, of course!!). The drugs made me a bit shaky and my heart rate went up but I was okay. After awhile they all came back in and it was very quick, they scanned him again and just started digging their hands deep into my belly, apparently pushing his bum up and gently guiding his head down. It hurt so much! (But I kept trying to think of it as preparation for labour and remember to be tough!) The doctor kept apologising which was quite funny. The midwife held my hand really tight which helped a lot, I couldn’t let go! Then suddenly it was over, I had my eyes squeezed shut but DH said that the head seemed to pop into position, and they scanned him again to make sure he really was head down and he was!! When I finally opened my eyes I realised I couldn’t really see and was really dizzy, so they let me lie on my side and I had some water and DH fed me Up&Go. My blood pressure was low but they put me back on the monitor and I could hear baby’s heartbeat at it’s normal rate so that was all I really cared about. They took my obs every ten minutes. We thought baby’s heartrate sounded good but later one of the midwives explained that it wasn’t as variable as before, meaning that it wasn’t spiking, but that was normal because of the drugs I had and the procedure. After awhile, it started going up and down a lot more. I could feel him moving and although this made me happy it also made me worried that he was trying to turn back! I was in there for over an hour afterwards so I’m glad they monitored him properly. I didn't have any bleeding and my tummy was just slightly sore. After I went home I kept checking his heartrate on my home Doppler and monitoring his movement and he was fine. My tummy does feel and look different but I always got kicks everywhere and I'm still getting them everywhere so FINGERS CROSSED he stays head down, healthy and active

Just wanted to share my story as there are mixed opinions on ECV.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-06-2015),Rocky27  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yay for you and congrats!
    Good luck for an awesome birth, I'm booked in to have my 3rd KEMH FBC baby in February and they've been awesome each time. Looking forward to an awesome birth story

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (27-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!! I have found them to be great too, so supportive and peaceful down there! Fingers crossed for both of us xxx