+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many words???

DD2 isn't really speaking yet, she is 18 months. How many words does/did you LO say at this age? I ask as DD1 had an extensive vocabulary by this age (very advanced) so not a good guideline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A handful, at best. DD didn't have many words at all until she turned 2. She's almost 4 now and speaks very well, you'd never know she was slow to get going.

I have an 11mo DS and I suspect he'll be the same, if not slower. He isn't even babbling yet but he has had some coordination issues with his swallow which is all related to speech development.

I think comprehension is more important, does she follow instructions and recognise words that you say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I remembered counting as DS spoke two languages. He had over 60 words but he is quite the chatter box.

Also keep in my mind that if he consistently says "ba" to designate a ball then "ba" counts as a word.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 21-11-2015 at 21:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD said almost no words (just Mumma, Dad etc) until she hit 18 months, then suddenly had 20-30 words in a matter of weeks. Now at 19.5 months, she is chatting away with at least 60 words, able to communicate easily & is very easy to understand.
    She wasn't much of a babbler but I didn't worry since she seemed to understand most of what I was saying to her, and followed instructions easily. I think she was just listening carefully until she was ready to say everything properly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 19 months and says 3 words- daddy, baby and no. So I wouldn't worry, he understands very well and we are trying to bring him up bilingual. He's just stubborn and is going to speak in his own time!

Thanks
    Reviews

Has she had her 18 month check up, You could mention it then? My DD is 18 months and says 100 + words with multiple 3 or 4 word sentences. However I know this is quite advanced so not sure what the minimum should be. Does she follow your instructions ie go and get your shoes? I agree with another PP that even if it's not the right word saying the same thing for something counts as a word as there are many sounds they can't articulate at this age. If they say a gibberish word for something I will always correct with "yes that is a sheep" etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS2 had 6 words at that age and our dr likes them to have 20. We did an early intervention speech program which helped him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 18 months DS only had a couple of words. We spoke to our GP at the 18 month check up and speech pathologists we know and all said not to worry too much until they are two, as long as they seem to be understanding instructions and make at least some noises. Apparently lots of kids have a big improvement between 18 and 24 months. DS is now nearly 21 months and whilst he doesn't have many more words he is making a lot more different sounds and is never quiet. I suspect we will still need to take him to a speech pathologist at 2 but for now we are doing what we can according to the people we spoke to (reading lots to him, especially books with single words, and focusing on repetition of functional words like more, drink and eat).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone one DD1 was quite advanced with over 50 words at 12 months, by 18 month over 300 in 2 languages. We knew this was not that common so I am trying to find out what is the average. 18 month check is in a couple of days, she has about 4 words but no consistency with how she uses them except for "wee" for the slide at the park lol I am struggling with the a little as DD1 was so different!

Thanks for all of your replies