+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    133
    Reviews
    0

    Default Just diagnosed with gestational diabetes

    Hi everyone, I'm 26 weeks with my second bub. Yesterday i had my OGTT and late this afternoon i had a call from the hospital saying i have gestational diabetes. I need to go in on wednesday for an education class and start monitoring my glucose levels. I'm already getting extra monitoring and scans because of low papp-a. So first they're telling me baby is measuring small and needs to be checked for signs of iugr etc, and I'm also being regularly checked for pre eclampsia, and now this! I had a csection with my first due to failure to progress past 7cm. Will this be yet another hurdle in the way of having a vbac? I'm trying to avoid a repeat csection if i can. That recovery with a clingy toddler plus a newborn seems so horrible impossible to me. Has anyone had a successful vbac in similar circumstances or is a csection the only option? 😯

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,109
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also diagnosed with GDM for my second after not having it with my first. I was planning a VBAC and following the initial diagnosis my OB started going all "you'll have to have baby by 38w".

    However, once I was clearly easily managing my GDM through diet and my levels were perfect, that talk stopped. The hospital were more than happy for me to go to at least 40w. I had an extra growth scan around 36w and all looked good. At 39w it looked like I wasn't going into labour any time soon, so booked for a CS at 40w. I think, if I'd wanted to push for it and got extra scans, they would have let me go longer. But I was so over it by then as I'd had my 1st at 37w, so had never been pregnant so long!

    I went into labour the next day! Long story short - I didn't get to VBAC - but that birth was still very healing for me. I was happy that bub came when he was ready and knew with certainty that a "trial of labour" and another EMCS was the right option for me given all circumstances.

    Big hugs. The diagnosis was hard news to take at first, but didn't end up causing major dramas. Hopefully it won't cause any big issues for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    133
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks for the reply stretched. Yesterday when the news was fresh i was feeling pretty down, it's just been one thing after another this pregnancy and then this on top. My next OB appt is in 3 weeks i guess I'll get more info then.
    The midwife that called said it was only my one hour bloods that were a bit too high, the pre drink and 2 hour bloods were fine. She asked me again did i eat or drink anything other than water before the test. Hopefully it won't cause too many more dramas.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked
    122
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Just diagnosed with gestational diabetes

    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,109
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The diabetes educator will set you up with a glucose meter and show you how to test. Then keep a food diary and you should get an appointment with a dietician to go through that, along with your BSL results.

    I found the dietician's advice much more useful that the DE's more generic advice as she could actually see what I ate/liked to eat and work from there.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    meandmyboys82  (27-06-2015)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Hi
    I am 27 weeks pregnant with my second baby and took the test yesterday. Today I get the call to say 1 of my 3 blood tests came back high so I need to go to an info session. This is my second pregnancy and I never got it with my first. Im stressing out looking at all the info, the fact that it can cause type 2 later in life and I keep seeing things that say factors like "being overweight"!! Making me feel like utter crap as I am not that big at all and was way bigger with my first at this stage. I eat pretty well and not a big lover of cakes/sweet stuff so really confused to why I have it. Im just wondering what the next stage will be for me now..any info would be greatly appreciated!!! xxx

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    2,383
    Thanked
    2,071
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alluneedislove View Post
    Hi
    I am 27 weeks pregnant with my second baby and took the test yesterday. Today I get the call to say 1 of my 3 blood tests came back high so I need to go to an info session. This is my second pregnancy and I never got it with my first. Im stressing out looking at all the info, the fact that it can cause type 2 later in life and I keep seeing things that say factors like "being overweight"!! Making me feel like utter crap as I am not that big at all and was way bigger with my first at this stage. I eat pretty well and not a big lover of cakes/sweet stuff so really confused to why I have it. Im just wondering what the next stage will be for me now..any info would be greatly appreciated!!! xxx
    Hi ladies, I am 20 weeks, I just got diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and this is the 3rd time I've had it. I had it with my two daughters, who are now 8 and 10. I had a OGTT early because of my previous pregnancies. I went to my Diabetes education class this week and got updated with some info.
    @Alluneedislove don't be too scared. My two daughters were 6lb 1oz (full term) and 8lb 7oz (full term), and I only controlled my diet and walked a bit every day. Like my exercise now is walking my girls to school and back and walking to pick them up. Nothing too over the top. You will get a little machine to check your blood sugars four times a day and you will get an appointment to see the diabetes educator...don't be afraid to ask questions.

    I am having another ultrasound at 28 weeks to check bubs growth, and unlike previously where I was induced, I may be able to go into labour naturally which I have never experienced. Its all about carbohydrates that you consume. If you cut down on carbohydrates, the baby won't get too big, however don't cut them out all together. If you need to go onto insulin, don't worry, my diabetes nurse informed us that the insulin doesn't affect the baby...it's nothing to worry about..you just have to watch what you eat.

    Factors wise: Unfortunately, I got the top three, I am over weight, over 30 (however I was 28 when I had my first) and my father has type 2 diabetes. It also has a bit to do with your ethnicity. Some women from other cultures are just prone to getting it, but gestational diabetes doesn't really discriminate. Your body may just be struggling to produce insulin this pregnancy.
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 22-10-2015 at 11:53.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

    Alluneedislove  (22-10-2015)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    133
    Reviews
    0
    I had it, had my bub almost 6 weeks ago.
    I had to change my diet, which was actually great because i felt much better plus i lost weight. I weighed myself one week after having bub and I'd lost 10kg! I've gone a little crazy with the soft serve, takeaway, soft cheese and deli meats and out on 3 kgs since. I'm getting back on the healthy diet i was on while pregnant to try and prevent type developing later and get my weight down. My bmi classed me as obese before but you wouldn't think it looking at me. I'm quite short though. Now it's classed me as overweight.

    While pregnant i had appts with the obs at the hospital every 2 weeks and scans every 4 weeks. Worth noting the scans were due to me having low papp-a so bubs growth was being monitored for that as well. The diet isn't too hard once you get the hang of it, but honestly i was eating alot of the same things. When i knew what worked i stuck to the same things for breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (was easy while i was at work anyway, i just brought it qll in with me so i couldn't cheat!!) and had a few different options for dinners.
    I ended up on metformin at night as my fasting levels were just over the cut off no matter what i did. The metformin worked once they had me on the right dosage.
    Had my followup gtt yesterday, anxious to see what the results bring!
    Good luck!!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,242
    Thanks
    5,043
    Thanked
    3,637
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    I had it, had my bub almost 6 weeks ago.
    I had to change my diet, which was actually great because i felt much better plus i lost weight. I weighed myself one week after having bub and I'd lost 10kg! I've gone a little crazy with the soft serve, takeaway, soft cheese and deli meats and out on 3 kgs since. I'm getting back on the healthy diet i was on while pregnant to try and prevent type developing later and get my weight down. My bmi classed me as obese before but you wouldn't think it looking at me. I'm quite short though. Now it's classed me as overweight.

    While pregnant i had appts with the obs at the hospital every 2 weeks and scans every 4 weeks. Worth noting the scans were due to me having low papp-a so bubs growth was being monitored for that as well. The diet isn't too hard once you get the hang of it, but honestly i was eating alot of the same things. When i knew what worked i stuck to the same things for breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (was easy while i was at work anyway, i just brought it qll in with me so i couldn't cheat!!) and had a few different options for dinners.
    I ended up on metformin at night as my fasting levels were just over the cut off no matter what i did. The metformin worked once they had me on the right dosage.
    Had my followup gtt yesterday, anxious to see what the results bring!
    Good luck!!
    Curious how your follow up GTT went!

    So do they get you to do the GTT again after giving birth? I suppose that makes sense!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    133
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Curious how your follow up GTT went!

    So do they get you to do the GTT again after giving birth? I suppose that makes sense!
    Well i never heard back from my dr so I'm assuming I'm all clear. I've been doing random bgl checks and they're all good. I should ask my dr i guess i just forget when I'm there cos it's for the kids and I'm too focused on them. I still have baby brain!!

    Yes i was told i had to have one 6 weeks after bub was born and then again every 2 years, as I'm at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes on, it's like a 50% chance i was told at hospital. 😯


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gestational Diabetes Chat
    By Kleep81 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 419
    Last Post: 07-04-2016, 22:53
  2. Gestational diabetes...
    By babyla in forum Gestational Diabetes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-06-2015, 17:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
SRC Pregnancy & Recovery Shorts
Want pain relief during pregnancy, and to continue working and exercising? Fancy a speedy recovery after childbirth? Want to regain your pre-baby body shape fast? Recommended by healthcare professionals, SRC compression products will let your body do its most important work.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!