+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I certainly don't buy things to throw away in 6 months.

I own tracksuit pants that are over 10 years old and still in good condition. I don't buy clothes every season. I buy clothes when I need them. Just recently I had to throw away my favourite jeans that I bought in USA in 2006. So I went out and bought a new pair. I own 2 pairs of jeans. Most of my clothes are years old.

My trainers are over 2 years old, although I suspect I need new ones as I have a heel injury which is probably caused by my old shoes.

My favourite converse died as well. They were also over 10 years old and had to be replaced. I was gutted that they didn't have the same style anymore.

I have less than 10 pairs of shoes. I've got 1 converse, 1 trainers, 1 pair short boots, 1 pair white heels, 1 pair black heels, 1 pair flats, 1 pair thongs. That's it. The pairs of heels are both well over 5 years old. I don't wear them much so they're in very good condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Not all people shopping at stores like that are expecting to replace in 6 months. Quite simply, we can't afford designer stuff or expensive stuff, but I still like to have nice things in my house.
    Agreed. I am house proud but simply can not afford to buy $145 towels ( by the way... who needs $145 towels?) and K-Mart allows us to have nice things without breaking the bank. There's nothing I have bought from K-Mart that I have thrown away. Everything I've bought so far over the last couple of years has stood the test of time and so it's still here in my house. If something looks like it might not last I leave it on the shelf. I know lots of people who shop at K-Mart who don't have a 'throw away' attitude. I'm not sure that is still the attitude for the majority of K-Mart shoppers, but maybe I'm wrong.

And yet, a floor mat that we bought from a small business owner at Christmas (we do support the small people when we can) has gone in the bin recently because it has been destroyed...despite being sold as really durable and able to withstand anything you throw at it. DH and I are so disappointed. We stretched ourselves to purchase it, but figured we'd have it for a long time because it was so 'well made and durable' and it just wasn't.
    Last edited by Full House; 08-08-2015 at 07:11.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-08-2015),Phony  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also don't like the consumerism side of mass manufactured 'on trend/throwaway' stuff, and the effect it has on the environment. But not many people feel the same way unfortunately. I actually tried to start a thread about it a few weeks back and it got not one single reply in 2 days... so the amount of people who care are vastly overwhelmed by the amount of people who don't. Kmart is a business, it's about making profit, so yeah they're going to continue making this stuff so long as people keep buying it.

As for me, I've bought a few items from there that i really loved, as I want my home to look nice. But almost every piece of furniture I own is second hand (excluding beds), and 90% of mine & DS's clothes are second hand. One reason for this is cost - i like quality but can't justify the cost, and the other reason is that I hate the impact on the environment that our rampant consumerism culture has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I also don't like the consumerism side of mass manufactured 'on trend/throwaway' stuff, and the effect it has on the environment. But not many people feel the same way unfortunately. I actually tried to start a thread about it a few weeks back and it got not one single reply in 2 days... so the amount of people who care are vastly overwhelmed by the amount of people who don't. Kmart is a business, it's about making profit, so yeah they're going to continue making this stuff so long as people keep buying it.

As for me, I've bought a few items from there that i really loved, as I want my home to look nice. But almost every piece of furniture I own is second hand (excluding beds), and 90% of mine & DS's clothes are second hand. One reason for this is cost - i like quality but can't justify the cost, and the other reason is that I hate the impact on the environment that our rampant consumerism culture has.
    I didn't see that. I'm very passionate about this! Maybe bump it so it's in the latest thread list and I'll post later when I have time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-08-2015),NancyBlackett  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default **spin off** Kmart appreciation thread

I went to look for your thread but couldn't find it. Did you edit the first post?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I didn't see that. I'm very passionate about this! Maybe bump it so it's in the latest thread list and I'll post later when I have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I went to look for your thread but couldn't find it. Did you edit the first post?
    Yeah, I got all disappointed and deleted it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I got all disappointed and deleted it...
    Start it again!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't see it either @Frankenmum. I wouldn't mind joining in the discussion in a separate thread. Wanted to comment here but didn't want to further derail the thread. I will say however, that I went through a major 'environmental' stage in my life and I got to the point where I couldn't actually enter shopping centres because all I could see was mindless consumerism and it made me feel physically sick. It took a long time to get past it but I now see that stores like kmart have worth in our society and it's possible to shop there and still be ethical. I believe if you value the items you purchase, respect how they were made and don't by 'stuff' just for the sake of it, you can sleep well knowing you're still a good person who cares about the planet and people of the world :-)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-08-2015),almai  (08-08-2015),FearlessLeader  (08-08-2015),Frankenmum  (08-08-2015),Phony  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And when I think about furniture...

I have 3 kids. All 3 of them have used the same cot. My youngest is 2.5 and still in it. Not bad for a $150 target cot that was bought over 7 years ago.

My daughter has bunk beds. They're about 2 years old now. My son has a single bed that was my eldest daughter's bed, so it is nearly 5 years old now and not getting rid of it any time soon.

I have a toddler bed stored under our house that will see all 3 of my kids through.

I have black faux wicker outdoor setting on my back verandah that's nearly 5 years old.

Our outdoor dining table setting is 5 years old, so is our bbq.

Our coffee table and dining table match. We bought them from Brescia when we did our renos in 2012. Not replacing anytime soon. Our TV unit is 6 years old.

Our cars are 1998 and 2009 models.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Phony  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I really feel sad that this thread has been hijacked and people who were loving it and enjoying the fact that their finally something nice that they could afford have been put down like this. I am so very disappointed that people that don't have money to throw around have been made feel like this just because that's all they can afford. They were so excited about their purchase. They felt a million dollars. Now well just look at the last few pages and certainly been some piping of their happiness balloons. They have been made to justify their purchaces by explaining who one that all they could afford or resourceful they are.

This was not a discussion on ethic or wastefulness. If you wanted to do that go start your own dam thread.

15. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-08-2015),almai  (08-08-2015),babyblu11  (08-08-2015),bigmummahen  (09-08-2015),Frankenmum  (08-08-2015),Full House  (08-08-2015),GirlsRock  (08-08-2015),JR03  (09-08-2015),just her chameleon  (08-08-2015),Kitzycat  (09-08-2015),Koarlo  (08-08-2015),LlamaMa  (09-08-2015),Mezmerised  (08-08-2015),monnie24  (10-08-2015),mummymaybe  (08-08-2015),munchkin275  (08-08-2015),New Hope  (08-08-2015),Phony  (08-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (08-08-2015)