+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 88 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    ^that said, I abhor Kmart for my own reasons- being the concept of throw away consumerism. It make me ragey. Most of the people buying low cost homeswares from Kmart are doing so with the complete expectation that it will all be replaced in 6-12 months.
    At the risk of further derailing this thread I used to feel like this but honestly you can go to department stores or homewares shops and pay a lot of money for absolute cr@p just as easily. Some of kmarts stuff is actually pretty well made. You just have to know what you're buying.

It is actually bloody hard these days to buy well made stuff even if it costs a fortune. The cost of manufacturing is so high it prices most consumables out of the market.

Anywho back to topic.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    At the risk of further derailing this thread I used to feel like this but honestly you can go to department stores or homewares shops and pay a lot of money for absolute cr@p just as easily. Some of kmarts stuff is actually pretty well made. You just have to know what you're buying.

It is actually bloody hard these days to buy well made stuff even if it costs a fortune. The cost of manufacturing is so high it prices most consumables out of the market.

Anywho back to topic.
    Sorry I'm going to derail too! The whole concept of Kmart and other cheap brands (I'm thinking of you, H&M!) is that you buy 'on trend' now, and then replace everything next season. Regardless of how well it's made. I know that's always how fashion has worked but it seems like it's fast tracked now because everything is so cheap you really can swap out your coffee table, all your linens and cushions and kitchen appliances every six months. It's so revoltingly wasteful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

bounty  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This isn't the link I read but it ranks companies

http://www.baptistworldaid.org.au/as...hionReport.pdf
    I jumped into this thread to see a link to Baptistworldaid... What the... I think I'm just going to jump right back out again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I'm going to derail too! The whole concept of Kmart and other cheap brands (I'm thinking of you, H&M!) is that you buy 'on trend' now, and then replace everything next season. Regardless of how well it's made. I know that's always how fashion has worked but it seems like it's fast tracked now because everything is so cheap you really can swap out your coffee table, all your linens and cushions and kitchen appliances every six months. It's so revoltingly wasteful.
    Aah ok take your point. Like forever new. Most revolting name of shop ever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Wow, something we actually agree on! 😁😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Wow, something we actually agree on! 😁😳
    There's at least one other thing- Alice is an awesome girl's name!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-08-2015),NancyBlackett  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not all people shopping at stores like that are expecting to replace in 6 months. Quite simply, we can't afford designer stuff or expensive stuff, but I still like to have nice things in my house. Same with fashion, I love buying clothes but hate spending money on them and I'm sure as sh!t not spending big bucks on independent designers when I can get the same thing for a third of the price. I am a phone victim though, I'll confess to that. I upgrade at every chance I get even though the phone I have is just fine. It's terrible, but I'm a sucker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Not all people shopping at stores like that are expecting to replace in 6 months. Quite simply, we can't afford designer stuff or expensive stuff, but I still like to have nice things in my house. Same with fashion, I love buying clothes but hate spending money on them and I'm sure as sh!t not spending big bucks on independent designers when I can get the same thing for a third of the price. I am a phone victim though, I'll confess to that. I upgrade at every chance I get even though the phone I have is just fine. It's terrible, but I'm a sucker.
    No, I do understand that. I think it's great that people who may not be able to afford to otherwise are able to decorate their house in a way that they like without breaking the bank. It's actually soul destroying to have to live with stuff you hate, I totally get that. But the marketing strategy of these sorts of shops is to get you to replace *everything* each season. And that's gross IMO. The planet just can't cope with that level of rampant consumerism. How many sets of linen or decorative pieces does one household need? Not nearly as many as we are being told by advertising.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I do understand that. I think it's great that people who may not be able to afford to otherwise are able to decorate their house in a way that they like without breaking the bank. It's actually soul destroying to have to live with stuff you hate, I totally get that. But the marketing strategy of these sorts of shops is to get you to replace *everything* each season. And that's gross IMO. The planet just can't cope with that level of rampant consumerism. How many sets of linen or decorative pieces does one household need? Not nearly as many as we are being told by advertising.
    Yeah, I get that. But I'm never "on trend" (god, is that the most over used phrase at the moment?!) so don't really feel compelled to shop for the current season. I just buy stuff I like. Which is why I don't have any of the copper stuff from Kmart, I flat out don't like it.

I will say though that I'm pumped about the idea of DH finally hanging the shelf mirror tomorrow. I freakin love that thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I jumped into this thread to see a link to Baptistworldaid... What the... I think I'm just going to jump right back out again
    I can't find the one I really wanted to post and that came up in a quick google search.