+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Look I love a bargain as much as the next person and if I can buy a towel for $20 instead of $145 then sure I'll think about it but to then turn around and accuse people selling this stuff on eBay of being unethical? Dunno either smacks of ingenuousness or ignorance. There are a lot of people working very hard to make money from unique designs and it's disheartening to see Kmart copy them so shamelessly.

It's almost unavoidable sadly.
    I will admit I am ignorant because I couldn't give 2 hoots about "unique designs." Our house is nothing fancy. I have no interest/eye for decorating. My kids have second hand clothes. Our lounge is over 5 years old. Home decorating just isn't my thing. In fact "things" aren't our thing. My husband is currently making a day bed out of old pallets. If I knew Kmart were knocking off someone else's' work then I would reconsider.

I am curious to know which stuff they imitate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also, there are towels that are $145

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @harvs it can be a combination of reasons. Some designs like the Eames chairs have been copied so often or the original deign is quite old now or based in another country so they probably wouldn't have the interest in pursuing a case in Australia. That sort of copying doesn't really interest me. Nor does copying really expensive designer clothes or shoes as that's part of branding and often helps the more exclusive designer as it spreads their name and identity.

What I get annoyed about are the small independent designers of items like towels who try and make a living out of doing something a bit different, get a bit of exposure and then Kmart copy them, but make a few minor changes thus avoiding copyright claims. A designer taking on a chain like Kmart would have to have a lot of money behind it to be successful. And most don't. Years and years ago Scanlon &Theodore in Melbourne went after witchery for copying their designs and made quite a name for themselves for doing it successfully. But people forget and companies go back to copying the designs.

I've stayed out of this thread as I don't shop at Kmart because of these reasons but I don't want to be a wowser and ruin people's fun as at the end of the day it's commerce. But I guess when people get up in arms about this stuff being sold on eBay I found it a little odd given the provenience of so much of their products.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-08-2015),NancyBlackett  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    @harvs it can be a combination of reasons. Some designs like the Eames chairs have been copied so often or the original deign is quite old now or based in another country so they probably wouldn't have the interest in pursuing a case in Australia. That sort of copying doesn't really interest me. Nor does copying really expensive designer clothes or shoes as that's part of branding and often helps the more exclusive designer as it spreads their name and identity.

What I get annoyed about are the small independent designers of items like towels who try and make a living out of doing something a bit different, get a bit of exposure and then Kmart copy them, but make a few minor changes thus avoiding copyright claims. A designer taking on a chain like Kmart would have to have a lot of money behind it to be successful. And most don't. Years and years ago Scanlon &Theodore in Melbourne went after witchery for copying their designs and made quite a name for themselves for doing it successfully. But people forget and companies go back to copying the designs.

I've stayed out of this thread as I don't shop at Kmart because of these reasons but I don't want to be a wowser and ruin people's fun as at the end of the day it's commerce. But I guess when people get up in arms about this stuff being sold on eBay I found it a little odd given the provenience of so much of their products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry didn't mean to post twice

Bigredv please I'm not trying to shame anyone on this thread at all. I think as consumers we need to be informed and clearly you are by the link you posted earlier. Kmart does fill a need in the community and makes people feel good about their houses by providing affordable "designer" looking products.

I just wish they stuck to the more identifiable big names who can withstand being copied and left the little designers alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Also, there are towels that are $145
    Yes and they are amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Most people wouldn't have $145 or more to spend on a towel. And some just don't want to.

I would assume people who buy a towel in Kmart wouldn't know they were ripping off someone else's design. I certainly didn't know about unique designer towels or that Kmart make a rip off version.

As an aside, I don't remember the last time I bought a new towel. Most of our towels are my mum's old towels. I actually don't like new towels. I find them too soft to actually dry you anyway

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry didn't mean to post twice

Bigredv please I'm not trying to shame anyone on this thread at all. I think as consumers we need to be informed and clearly you are by the link you posted earlier. Kmart does fill a need in the community and makes people feel good about their houses by providing affordable "designer" looking products.

I just wish they stuck to the more identifiable big names who can withstand being copied and left the little designers alone.
    I agree to an extent, but I have to say I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I feel that more and more small designers that are in any way successful do their own fair share of being 'inspired' by other designs. I feel like if you're already following the sorts of trends that a company like Kmart is on the lookout for, that your designs aren't really that unique to begin with. Some of the stuff I've seen (by all means not all!) from small designers is so 'on trend' that it's a bit of a stretch to call it original.
    Certainly there have been some cases of blatant copying, but many of the things I've seen have been so ubiquitous that it's not hard to believe that the big company has come to the same design independently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (08-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ^that said, I abhor Kmart for my own reasons- being the concept of throw away consumerism. It make me ragey. Most of the people buying low cost homeswares from Kmart are doing so with the complete expectation that it will all be replaced in 6-12 months.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

bounty  (08-08-2015),NancyBlackett  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I agree to an extent, but I have to say I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I feel that more and more small designers that are in any way successful do their own fair share of being 'inspired' by other designs. I feel like if you're already following the sorts of trends that a company like Kmart is on the lookout for, that your designs aren't really that unique to begin with. Some of the stuff I've seen (by all means not all!) from small designers is so 'on trend' that it's a bit of a stretch to call it original.
    Certainly there have been some cases of blatant copying, but many of the things I've seen have been so ubiquitous that it's not hard to believe that the big company has come to the same design independently.
    I don't disagree at all. With the Internet it is very hard to be truly unique these days as there is so much "inspiration" out there. So I don't disagree and I'm sure that's often why designers don't sue.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (07-08-2015)