+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I think it's a huge indication on what's happening within the centre. I took my kids out of a centre due to high staff turnover. 8 staff left his room within 12 months. If you feel uncomfortable you have every right to question it!
    I think it's ok to question why a place has a high staff turnover, but it's different to complain about it when there are genuine reasons.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on the situation. We had a few staff leave recently and it boiled down to a petty thing and the girls being typical 21 year olds

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Same happened when I worked at a centre, I find that it was mostly lifestyle related, not because of the centre. I left to have a baby, some of my co-workers left to work closer to home or to travel etc. Nothing personally to do with the centre and I don't see what can be done about it. My director did used to beg us to stay because hiring new staff all the time is a pain.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The more i think about it i guess it probably isn't a big deal at all. Guess it's just a workplace culture difference. We don't tend to have people leave at all where i work but then again we are all 30ish and above, not early 20's and if a new manager meant 4 people left (at my work) they would probably be fired. Guess it's just a different environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I think it depends on the situation. We had a few staff leave recently and it boiled down to a petty thing and the girls being typical 21 year olds
    Exactly this! Majority (not all) are on the younger side and either don't like when a new director is employed that might be more strict on uniforms, paperwork etc. Or they decide it's not what they want to do as the pay is pretty bad.

It is frustrating, we've had a couple of changes this year and it is distributive, but the director is usually trying hard to get the right mix.

Hope it all works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I think you are being unreasonable, sorry. Staff are people too and move house, change jobs, have babies etc

The director can't help that :what:
    This.

I also find it really unprofessional that staff would essentially gossip to a parent around operational issues at the centre eg; no staff consultation around uniforms.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (26-06-2015),VicPark  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This.

I also find it really unprofessional that staff would essentially gossip to a parent around operational issues at the centre eg; no staff consultation around uniforms.
    I agree. Although at the same time high churn is a red flag for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Am i being unreasonable? New childcare director and staff leaving

I understand how it can be nervewracking when your kids worlds are turned a bit upside down. That being said it probably was a tad harsh to have a go at the Director... Making a general comment such as "I'm not sure how my kids are going to cope with all the staff changes - do you have any suggestions?" Would have got your point accross.

The reason why I don't like to go in guns blazing in situations like this/at work is that you don't know the full story and you could end up making a fool of yourself. For example there's been a few staff changes at my kids daycare centre following a new director being brought in. Due to various bits and pieces I've learned I have a strong suspicion that the carer in my bubs room was forced to resign. Something to do with her conduct during the childcare centres accreditation audit. I thought she was ok but hubby had suspicions.

You might like the carers but you don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

On a less important note if rosters were changed without consultation then that's a concern. As for the uniform thing - I think the workers just need to suck it up - they are the employees not employers. Whining about a uniform seems a little catty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there's nothing they can do, you cant force someone to stay at a job o.O
    its stressful for all involved.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If all the educators in DS's room at daycare left I'd be devastated. He's really bonded with them.
    I'd hope it was for good reasons - for them.
    Turnover can be an indicator of many things; a poor workplace culture, poor conditions, poor pay, poor management.
    Or could be, people move away, people move on, people get promoted elsewhere, or it could be that the industry they work in is in high demand and it's an employees market.

I don't think I'd want to hear about uniforms and roster changes. I don't think staff should complain to parents about that.