+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am i being unreasonable? New childcare director and staff leaving

I have 2 kids in daycare at the same Centre and since a new director came on board they have had 4 carers leave in the space of a couple of months. 2 of them were women that my little ones had bonded with and will be greatly missed by them.

All these carers have been wonderful with my kids and were long term employees at that Centre. Just called the owner and said i wasn't happy with the situation etc but am i being unreasonable to expect staff stability?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you are being unreasonable, sorry. Staff are people too and move house, change jobs, have babies etc

The director can't help that :what:

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (27-06-2015),Nemmi1987  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think so, but be prepared to change centres if you don't like it as there's not much that can be done. Some places just have incredibly high turnover and others don't.

We just changed from one high churn centre to another who has had the same staff for 10+ years my DD absolutely loves the new centre to bits. It's run totally differently and I can see why the staff want to stay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get that its difficult for children with cc staff changes. Unfortunately, it happens, & there is nothing the director can do about it. She cant refuse their resignation & force them to continue working there against their will! When i was in CC (8 yrs ago now, might be different now!) the industry had high turnover of staff. There were a lot of younger women who went on to have babies, etc, &a lot of uni students. Its just the way it is unfortunately, sorry op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to work in child care, I haven't since I had my children.

It is not unusual for staff to leave when new management comes in. It usually ebbs and flows. Sometimes one leaves and it starts a snowball of staff members leaving.

Staff can't be made to stay either, should you expect staff stability yes, but can any work place guarantee it....no not really.

The owner can't stop staff leaving either, obviously something is going on between the staff and the owner and some people are unhappy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

RmumR  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. I'm not sure there's much that can be done though. Any idea why the staff left? That's what I'd want to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone please keep them coming! The staff who i was close to left because their rosters were changed without their input and also because the owner put a uniform policy in place with no staff consultation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess I'm being emotional as well because i know my kids will really miss the carers that have been there for them the whole time they have been in care. I know they'll probably bounce back quickly and get to know the new staff and like them too. Probably shouldn't have given the owner an earful so quickly, he took it well though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I think you are being unreasonable, sorry. Staff are people too and move house, change jobs, have babies etc

The director can't help that :what:
    Yep, this! People leave jobs all the time and the new director probably isn't thrilled that they have left either! Hopefully your kids bond with the new staff

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a huge indication on what's happening within the centre. I took my kids out of a centre due to high staff turnover. 8 staff left his room within 12 months. If you feel uncomfortable you have every right to question it!