+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Appropriate discipline for a 4yo

Older ds got an award at school today so we were invited to assembly to watch him receive it.

Ds2 who is 4 has been very cheeky all morning.

After assembly, the entire class was lined up, I took ds1 and gave him a hug.

Ds2, in front of ds1 teacher and class, dropped the f-bomb to all the boys, mostly to gain attention and a reaction from the kids.

I am livid at him. Teacher heard, kids all heard and started playing up for the teacher.

He's in his room now till I calm down.

Whats his consequence for this behaviour? He knows he's not allowed to say naughty words, he knows what expected behaviours are.

His 'currency' is toys pretty much. Do I confiscate his favourites?

I'm so peeved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    If something more than the time out is needed than yeah, I'd take his favourite toy away with a clear explanation as to why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Time outs not working any longer for him. He just doesn't seem to care.

With him it's always having to be Something bordering on extreme to get him to figure it out.

If I take away his fave toys, he just moves on to something else to play with.

I'm a bit lost. He's a great kid, but when he's a pain in the butt he takes it to the nth degree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am probably the harshest Mum in the world, lol. In this instance if taking a single toy does nothing I would pack every single toy away into a garbage bag and tell him if he behaves himself he can start earning toys back- otherwise they will all be given to a child who knows how to speak politely.

I would also pick a list of things that are absolutely non-negotiable. For us, it is no swearing, no aggressive behaviour, no saying hurtful/cruel things, and no dangerous stuff. If my kids break a rule on that list, they know that the punishment will be very big. I am much more forgiving for other types of naughty behaviour.

But I am an extremely harsh Mum... I'm aware this isn't everyone's cup of tea!
    Last edited by Lilahh; 26-06-2015 at 12:35.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Izzys Dragon  (26-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Makes if difficult when they don't really respond to punishments. As DS has gotten older focusing on positive behaviour or making him earn privileges has worked better but I know this can be difficult when they're younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make him go and apologise to the teacher and class.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-06-2015),Busy-Bee  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Take away his toys & he can earn them back via good behaviour, helping with chores etc.
    I'd also make him apologise to his brother for interrupting his award ceremony. And he would need to do something nice for his brother as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

I've calmed down and he's gone for a nap.

I'm currently packing away all the toys. I agree, he'll have to earn the right to play with them.

I think he'll also have to have 2 days of super good behaviour or he may not get to go to a bday party we are invited to on Sunday.

I'm just over it. I thought we were making progress with his behaviour and then he just whips this out.

He's a sponge. I think we've said the f-bomb once in 6 months but he's heard it then and just knows that it's a great one to use. Ignoring naughty words never worked with him. He just remembers it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Make him go and apologise to the teacher and class.
    And this may be a possibility because we have parent -teacher interviews next week.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    When it comes to swear words I explain to DS1 that they are adult things. He isn't allowed to drive a car, drink alcohol, drink caffeine, stay up late at night, have a girlfriend (or boyfriend), or use swear words until he is a teenager. He understands. I would punish him the same if I caught him doing something else children aren't allowed to do.