Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Surely you don't need to revert to this!!
    It's cruel and there are many other ways to deal with it.
    I don't agree with actully using the soap or tobasco, but threaten to use it.

There is an entire generation who have no respect for authority, or anyone for that matter. A bite of soap might be enough to change their tune.

Try telling all the grown ups who had this punishment dished out to them and as a consequence are respobsible, well rounded adults.

Being fed soap for having a foul mouth is not abuse. It is a consequence.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-06-2015),Sookie Stackedhouse  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No no no! Please don't use soap or Tabasco!

The best way is to choose a (non abusive) punishment and be consistent with it. At that age taking away tv time or some other form of media that they like should work well but you have to follow through and make it realistic. Sit down and tell them that swearing is a behaviour that isn't acceptable and that from now on they will be losing their privilege any time they swear.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (26-06-2015),MissMuppet  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post

There is an entire generation who have no respect for authority, or anyone for that matter. A bite of soap might be enough to change their tune.

Try telling all the grown ups who had this punishment dished out to them and as a consequence are respobsible, well rounded adults.

I do not agree with this at all. I do t swear at all and I was never ever fed soap or anything of the sort. What I did have is parents who set rules and boundaries and were consistent in their discipline. It was always predictable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 and 13 year old daughters swearing

Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post

An entire generation, really....
    Anyone who thinks this is an acceptable punishment is not a well rounded individual.
    It is not a consequence, it is abusive. No different to hitting a child with something.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 8 and 13 year old daughters swearing

Wow I can't believe you're suggesting actually washing their mouths with soap.

it's abuse.

Also I wonder where they learned to swear so much...?

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-06-2015),DarcyJ  (26-06-2015),delirium  (26-06-2015),KillerHeels  (26-06-2015),Lincolns mummy  (26-06-2015),Once Upon a Time  (26-06-2015),VicPark  (26-06-2015),~Marigold~  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    No no no! Please don't use soap or Tabasco!

The best way is to choose a (non abusive) punishment and be consistent with it. At that age taking away tv time or some other form of media that they like should work well but you have to follow through and make it realistic. Sit down and tell them that swearing is a behaviour that isn't acceptable and that from now on they will be losing their privilege any time they swear.
    This.
    There is absolutely no need to use or threaten to use physical punishment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Like with any behavioural issue you need to be firm and consistent with your expectations and the consequences. I actually find that rewarding positive behaviour helps more than punishing bad behaviour. Maybe bring in an incentive like some sort of small treat or a certain amount of money for not swearing. Possibly have a chart that you can record their day to day progress on and have the reward at the end of the week. When there is signs of real improvement you can lengthen the amount of time or slowly phase out the reward so it just becomes expected behaviour.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (26-06-2015),Once Upon a Time  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My uncle did Tabasco on my cousins when we were kids. They thought it was hilarious and bragged about it. They started swearing more so they could keep getting it done. It was awful and ridiculous.

Personally I think it's abusive, it's inflicting pain and discomfort. In saying that we used to get whacked up the side of the head of we did anything wrong... Which is worse.

Grounding, taking away favourite items, discussing with teachers? I'd try get to the bottom of where their potty mouths are coming from.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know a family whose main punishment was cod liver oil. in small doses, it tastes absolutely foul and I believe it has some health benefits. I don't know what I did to discourage my children from swearing. I think they just knew I didn't like to hear certain words, so they would not swear around me. im sure they did swear away from me. even now they are adults they will adjust their language to suit my ears. I think using soap once or twice would not be any form of abuse, it is unpleasant and the taste lingers a bit, but it is hardly abuse. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Set consequences and follow through. My friend let her son keep his phone but took away his charger so once the phone died he had plenty of time to work on improving his attitude.
    Plus the more you react the more they love to stir as they know it annoys you.
    Grounding to me doesnt mean much unless technology is removed