+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Naturally induced labor

Did any moms successfully induce their own labor naturally??? I'd love to hear some stories...

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is no real way to naturally induce labour, if it works it's because you were going to go into labour anyway. Baby signals labour when it's lungs are mature so if you can it's best to wait for it to happen by itself but there can be many many reasons why you'd want to hurry things along, have you spoken to your care provider about them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr is thinking about inducing me... I've had 2 appt this week due to high BP ... I went in today, doc said Tuesday if it doesn't go down then they will have to intervene. Well it's not back to normal so he has me going back in Monday by then I'll be a day over 37 wks & that's what I think he's waiting for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrssGraham View Post
    Dr is thinking about inducing me... I've had 2 appt this week due to high BP ... I went in today, doc said Tuesday if it doesn't go down then they will have to intervene. Well it's not back to normal so he has me going back in Monday by then I'll be a day over 37 wks & that's what I think he's waiting for
    37 weeks is quite early to be induced. I know it's "term" but many babies still aren't quite ready yet at 37 weeks. If it were me I wouldn't be trying to intervene myself that's for sure. I'd be leaving it up to my OB having made sure that we had exhausted all other options.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    37 weeks is quite early to be induced. I know it's "term" but many babies still aren't quite ready yet at 37 weeks. If it were me I wouldn't be trying to intervene myself that's for sure. I'd be leaving it up to my OB having made sure that we had exhausted all other options.
    This at 37 weeks I wouldn't be bothering with anything at home as there is no chance it will work, if anything you'd risk more harm than good xo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea I know that's what I'm saying DR is going to intervene if my BP doesn't get under control. If doc wants to induce at 37wk that's what will be done vs risking my child's health. But it's not the reason I asked about naturally inducing..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also to have an induction at 37 weeks for medical reasons. I was hopeful about inducing naturally, i wanted to avoid the hospital interventions as much as possible. I tried spicy foods, walking, bouncing on the fit ball, & expressing colostrum with the breast pump. I had REALLY strong contractions with the breast pump,but they always stopped soon after. Im sorry to say that nothing worked in inducing labour. Oh they also gave me a stretch & sweep & gave me the ok to try & induce labour at my previous appt. Ive heard lots of success stories with expressing milk particularly, but it didnt work for me. I was 3cm dilated & had a very short labour when I was induced though, so maybe it helped? I dont know. I would check with your ob/ a midwife first just to be sure, they told me it was absolutely fine to try & inducw labour. I dont know if I made the right choice - i wouls have been happy if it worked, but it did add that bit extra stress to the last few days of pregnancy where I could have rested more. Good luck whichever you choose!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Naturally induced labor

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I'm sure OP's doctor has outweighed the risks of delivering bub at 37 weeks vs OP's blood pressure going through the roof and potentially having a stroke or stillbirth.

I'm assuming OP is already medicated and the medication isn't controlling the blood pressure.

Sometimes inductions need to be done for medical reasons regardless of gestation.

I've delivered babies at 29 weeks because of uncontrolled hypertension and preeclampsia where the risks of delivering of so early were far better then continuing the pregnancy.
    As someone who did have a sudden onset of severe preeclampsia I completely understand the need for early induction. I had my bub at 33 weeks for this reason. His birth saved my life.

I didn't say she shouldn't be induced, I said she should leave it up to her ob who is experienced to deal with situations like this and not try to intervene herself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Apologies I read it as not intervening at all.
    All good. I often do come across as anti-intervention but it really isn't the case at all. There is a time and place and this is one of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I tried all of the things that are supposed to naturally stimulate labour. Like really tried. I'm talking running up and down stairs, loads of spicy food, heaps of nipple stimulation...

I had seven stretch and sweeps and from 41weeks on I had two days of trying to induce labour with gel, pessary and attempts at the balloon catheter.

My waters never broke, I never even had a hint of a show and never dilated.

Baby was born c-section at 40+9.

So you could say I'm no longer a big believer in the natural methods to bring on labour.

If they do induce you, because it's so early - be aware that sometimes the methods can't get labour going which will mean a c-section for medical reasons. There's nothing wrong with that but it will help to know this is a possible outcome so you're not as shocked as I am.

I thought medical induction methods were fool proof - I didn't realise they could just not work.

Good luck.