+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newbie with a bub on the way...

Hi everyone,

I've just found out I'm pregnant, 5 weeks. Only my husband and both our parents know and now you!

I have a very small circle of acquaintances in Sydney as I lived overseas for many years and my husband isn't Australian so he has no family here. Luckily, we are both very close with my mum and dad. My husband and I are both pretty clueless on what we need to do thus why I was hoping to get help on these forums and make some new friends. Hopefully I can share my experiences in return to someone else new one day.

Our pregnancy has come before I passed the one year waiting period with bupa so it's public all the way for us as we can't afford the extra expensive of Private.

I have a plethora of really newbie questions to ask from which public hospital I should book, to what I can eat, to what to expect to what to buy to how to cope (lol)... We are both literally clueless, so much so I think my husband and I are actually still in shock we are actually having a baby! The pregnancy was planned but neither of us expected it to happen so quickly! With that said, we are both very excited. I hope I don't ask too many repetitive questions and feel free to let me know if I do.

Thank you for any advice you can offer us along the way and I look forward to getting to know everyone over time. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    How long have you had cover with bupa? You don't need to have it for 12 months before actually getting pregnant, your due date just needs to be 12 months from getting the cover so technically you only need to have purchased the cover 3 months or so before getting pregnant. If that makes sense! Give them a call if you're unsure.
    I'm not in Sydney so can't help with hospitals/care options but you'll find lots of help on here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi gingermillie,

Thank you so much!! I can't believe it's real!

If you can believe it, I'm due on the 21st of February and my cover begins in the 28th of February. I rang Bupa, like you suggested, and they said I won't get any cover unless I have the baby after the 28th. I asked if I could pay more or do anything to supplement it and she said no. The lady was very kind but she said that even with my cover it would cost us a lot to try and go private. I'm starting to research public hospitals now so I have some information when I start asking questions Thanks so much for the suggestion.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Congrats !!!!

In relation to private health - usually the cover is based on your due date ... so if your due date was after your waiting period you would still have been covered even if bubs comes early. But it means that you wont be covered.

public hospital isnt so bad though ....