+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    She's gone. Thanks so much for all your support and stories so I knew what to expect. It was hard. My oldest son stayed and was OK. My other son and daughter went to my friends next door. My younger son was inconsolable when he came back but he seems OK now and is able to talk about her and look at photos. I don't think my daughter quite gets it. Just when I calm down something sets me off again. I imagine it will get easier in time. Poor DH....first time in nearly 17 years together I've seen him cry
    I'm so sorry xxx Just know that you did the right thing and I hope your hearts heal with time <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's getting a lot better now. We can talk about her without crying so that's a good sign. We'll always miss her and it's nice to be able to have actual conversations now

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

amyd  (02-08-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (06-07-2015),Cardi  (06-07-2015),Cicho  (06-07-2015),HillDweller  (08-07-2015),SpicyTurtle  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those who have had to put a dog to sleep

@CanadianKangaroo I couldn't read and not comment even though it's an old post.. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you and your family healing energy.

I can completely empathise as my DH and I just had to say goodbye to our beloved 14 year old German Shepherd X on Tuesday. It's totally ripped out hearts out and we've been left with a cold house rather than the home she created.
    Our beautiful girl struggled with arthritis for the last few years but collapsed on Monday night with internal bleeding. We sat with her on the grass outside the vets in the sun and told her we loved her and thanked her for being such a beautiful soul and for keeping us together during hard times.
    I had to put to sleep my horse when I was 24 and that took me nearly 8 years to get over God rest his soul. Losing our girl this week has been this single most painful experience of my adult life.
    I know I can't offer much in the way of comfort but I can say it does get better over time. When I was down or sad my horse used to come to me in my dreams and I'd always wake up feeling better. He doesn't so much anymore and I think it's because he knows the need isn't there. I'm hoping our girl will also come to me when I sleep as I miss her so much it hurts.
    As for being there when they go. We couldn't let her do that on her own. She was given kisses and cuddles right till the end. We both broke down though so I don't think we could have had children there. I also am now struggling to erase the image of her as we saw her last on that day. I'm trying to fill my memories with all the happy times when she wasn't in pain.
    Our only consolations are that she is now free and that she got to meet our daughter by a mere four weeks. It was so special to get some photos with them both. It's as if she knew. I'm in tears as I write.

I apologise for the 'me' post.
    I hope you and your family are doing OK during this difficult time and that it draws you all closer. Light a candle and remember her and how she made you feel. That feeling never dies.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 02-08-2015 at 06:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    @CanadianKangaroo I couldn't read and not comment even though it's an old post.. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you and your family healing energy.

I can completely empathise as my DH and I just had to say goodbye to our beloved 14 year old German Shepherd X on Tuesday. It's totally ripped out hearts out and we've been left with a cold house rather than the home she created.
    Our beautiful girl struggled with arthritis for the last few years but collapsed on Monday night with internal bleeding. We sat with her on the grass outside the vets in the sun and told her we loved her and thanked her for being such a beautiful soul and for keeping us together during hard times.
    I had to put to sleep my horse when I was 24 and that took me nearly 8 years to get over God rest his soul. Losing our girl this week has been this single most painful experience of my adult life.
    I know I can't offer much in the way of comfort but I can say it does get better over time. When I was down or sad my horse used to come to me in my dreams and I'd always wake up feeling better. He doesn't so much anymore and I think it's because he knows the need isn't there. I'm hoping our girl will also come to me when I sleep as I miss her so much it hurts.
    As for being there when they go. We couldn't let her do that on her own. She was given kisses and cuddles right till the end. We both broke down though so I don't think we could have had children there. I also am now struggling to erase the image of her as we saw her last on that day. I'm trying to fill my memories with all the happy times when she wasn't in pain.
    Our only consolations are that she is now free and that she got to meet our daughter by a mere four weeks. It was so special to get some photos with them both. It's as if she knew. I'm in tears as I write.

I apologise for the 'me' post.
    I hope you and your family are doing OK during this difficult time and that it draws you all closer. Light a candle and remember her and how she made you feel. That feeling never dies.
    Thanks so much for your kind words and I'm so sorry for the loss of your shepherd. We had Shepherds growing up and they are such awesome dogs. It's just so sad that we have such a short time with our animals.
    BUT, we have an update. I honestly thought it would be ages before I could even think of getting another dog but the house is just so empty without Casey. We are a dog family and we have been given the opportunity to get another beautiful lab puppy. So, the first weekend of September we will be picking up a new adorable puppy. I'll post pics of the two females. We don't know for sure yet which one it will be but they are equally adorable.
    I'm nervous about having a puppy again and still have days where I feel guilty and like we should have grieved longer but Casey will never be forgotten. We'll see her every time we look at our new sweet puppy.
    I'll post the pics as soon as figure out how. I thought there was an attachment button???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this worked?
    Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

CMF  (03-08-2015),TheGooch  (03-08-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKangaroo View Post
    I think this worked?
    Gorgeous puppy!
    You know what your family needs and sometimes home feels empty without a beloved pet.
    Give us updates when you get to bring your pup home!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @CanadianKangaroo. The puppy is gorgeous!

It's comforting to know that you are already feeling brighter. The strange thing is a friend asked me on Thursday if I'd get another dog and I got so angry and defensive of my girl. By Sunday the house was deafeningly quiet and I have to admit it crossed my mind that life without a dog is horrible and the only way to deal with it is to bring new life into the house. If I didn't have a 6 week old bub and we weren't renting I think I would. I always wondered how people could get another pet so soon but now I understand. It's not because you don't love and miss your family member, the void is just too big to live with.

Wishing you and your family all the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes at first I was thinking there was no way and how could people even ask. But we're a dog family. She came with us everywhere and we miss that.
    I still feel guilty though. I've gone as far as to think about talking to a pet psychic to make sure Casey is OK with it....DH put his foot down on that though