+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    What a very sad thread.

I had to put my dog down a few years ago after trying everything to treat mast cell tumour.

I totally lost my **** and I'm an adult so maybe base some of your decision on how you will cope and whether your kids can cope with seeing you upset.

When my dog was put down he was in my arms and got an injection and just went suddenly very heavy and limp so be aware it can be very quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default For those who have had to put a dog to sleep

Our GSD was given the eternal sleeping potion as he had very bad cancer that was no longer treatable.

We went into the room with him, lay him on the table, cuddled him and cried A LOT and kept patting him and telling him we loved him, as he drifted off to sleep. 😭😭😭😭😭

It was very peaceful and heartbreaking.

I am sorry you have to go through this. xxx
    Last edited by Shrillian; 26-06-2015 at 09:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First and only time I was there when a dog was put down (my IL's dog) they put her on the metal table and gave her an injection only. She was really old and seemed to be in a lot of pain, but when they gave her the needle, it was calm and like she went to sleep. We recently had a guinea pig put down as well, but they took him in another room and sedated him first. Then they basically gassed him, but I wasn't there.

However they do it, they make sure it's as peaceful as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs OP I truly understand what you're going through. We just put our beloved 16 year old boy to sleep 4 weeks ago. Our children are 7,3 and 10 months. We decided it would be best for hubby to take him to the vet so we all said goodbye at home. He's buried on our property and we always go say hello when we are there. Such a difficult time he was one of the family 😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    We had our German ShepherdxRottweiler euthenised in Oct 2010 due to a few issues. He was 10.5yrs old.

The process was as has been described by other posters. Because he was a big boy (over 50kg's), the vet took us to a room that we could stay in as long as we wanted to and sedated him on the floor. I lay down beside him and held him and whispered in his ear as the drugs to euthanise were given. My partner sat on the other side and patted him as he drifted away and I held him and thanked him for all the love and loyalty he'd given to us over the years and told him how much we loved him and everything was going to be ok etc and that his mum and grandmother would be waiting for him.

I told him to run and not to look back and that we'd be with him again one day. After he passed we cried and I absolutely howled and held him for a long time after, it was so very painful but there's no way we would've not been with him for his final moments after all the love, loyalty and friendship he'd given us over the years, it was the least that he deserved. I'm crying now as I type these words We organised to have him cremated and he's in an urn now at home with us.

I've set up a little shrine where his urn sits that has his collar around it and a photo of him sitting against it. To this very day I/we miss him and I still cry for him. Although we have other pets that we love and adore, we can't bring ourselves to get another dog even now.

Although this is apart of life, it doesn't make it any easier or less painful when you have to do it. Am thinking of you, your family and furbaby at this difficult time
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 26-06-2015 at 14:18.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (26-06-2015),Skyler  (02-07-2015),Tennelly  (27-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our 12yo gorgeous girl put to sleep because she got so bad with chronic arthritis and hip problems she couldn't even get up anymore and when we weren't home would lie in a pool or her own urine and not be able to get a drink etc. it broke my heart. Fortunately our DD was young but we spent the day with her feeding her tons of chocolate and ice cream and all the bad things she always wanted but never had. She had the best day of her life and then we said goodbye which was one of the hardest things ever.

The procedure was very quick -she just went to sleep and to be honest I think she was so tired and achey she just went with it (despite usually hating going to the vet with a passion) but be warned they do pee afterward so if you are putting them in the car (like we did) have a tarp or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg i have the biggest knot in my stomach reading this. I have a 12 year old terrier that has gone a bit senile. He has bitten my son and my neighbors daughter. I can't trust him anymore to not bite and ppl say to put him to sleep. It's so hard though :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BlondeinBrisvegas your post made me cry, that was exactly how it was for us when we had to have our older dog put to sleep 5 years ago. I still cry everytime I think of him.

OP, they do just basically drift off to sleep, it is very peaceful. I can imagine it would affect your whole family a great deal. I would explain to the kids what will happen and give them the option of being there. I guess it probably depends on the individual child as to whether being there in your dogs final moments would help them in the grief process or not. I know as a child I would have absolutely wanted to be there, but my brother wouldn't (and as an adult today, still thinks he might not be able to bring himself to be there at the end).

My dog was put down at our big vet hospital, they had a private room that was decorated with flowers and chairs to sit in, they wheeled him in on a little trolley (he'd stayed there the night before to try and ascertain what was wrong with him) and he already had a catheter tube in his arm. We said our goodbyes, and hugged him, whispering in his ear while they administered the needle. He laid down and was gone in seconds. We hadn't had time to get used to the fact that he was going to be taken from us. We had been on holiday for a few days with a friend looking after our house. When we got home, he walked into the house, I patted him and he laid down and wouldn't get up. I rushed him to the emergency vet and in the middle of the night they called me to say his liver was failing and it appeared he had been poisoned. He had a bad heart already and there was nothing they were going to be able to do for him. We agreed to an autopsy afterwards to find out what had happened, and it transpired that our friend had left Nurofen on the table within his reach and he had eaten it. It's five years on and I don't think the pain ever quite goes away.

When it's time for our next dog, she's 12 and starting to fade, I think we'll have a vet come out to our house. I'd like our other dog to be there so he knows what's happening and we haven't just taken her away and she didn't come back.

Hugs to you and your family in this sad time

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We put our darling girl to sleep two years ago. She'd had emergency surgery and her circulatory system simply couldn't recover from her blood loss.

DD was 4 at the time and she came with us to say goodbye. It was all kinds of awful but so peaceful for our old girl. It was over in seconds. She was hooked up to monitors so we saw her flatline - you don't normally see that.

I have no regrets letting her be there and be a part of it. She probably didn't really process it fully at the time, but it helped down the track when she finally realised our girl wasn't coming home.

So much love, OP. It's awful when our fur babies reach this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now I'm crying reading all these stories. It's not fair we have to let our animals go. Thanks so much for all the replies.
    I'm still not sure. I rang the vet today and they do make house calls. I think I'd rather her be at home in her bed. We will have to talk to the boys and see what they want to do.
    It's extra hard because DH is in denial about the whole thing and doesn't want to talk about it.
    In the last few days she smells so bad like ammonia because of the toxins that I literally dry retch when I smell her. She's gone off her food and has lost heaps of weight. Today I watched her take a small sip of water and then walk away and vomit.
    The problem is, she won't eat or drink her food but if I have a bit of ham or something she'll still eat that so DH thinks she's OK.
    I hate having to make the decision. She looks at me with sad eyes and I really think it's her time but he doesn't think so. Then I feel guilty thinking about putting her down if she is still happy.
    I really wish she would just go peacefully in her sleep

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (26-06-2015)