+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those who have had to put a dog to sleep

Can you tell me what actually happens? We are going to have to face this decision very soon for our lab who is in the final stages of kidney disease.
    I've never had to deal with this before and I feel sick. She's been around forever since the kids were babies and they're now almost 15, 11 and 5.
    I'm going to talk to my vet today and see if he will come to our house when it's time.
    I don't know if the kids should be there or not. I'm leaning towards yes, but DH doesn't think it's a good idea.
    Does anyone have any experience with the kids being present?
    Why do dogs have to get old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs, it is hard having to have a beloved pet to sleep.
    I was there when the vet put my 1st pony (got her when I was 3ish) to sleep (she had a tumor) - I was 17 & in the middle of my VCE exams. It seemed very fast & peaceful. The vet gave her an injection of anaesthetic & she just fell asleep & passed peacefully.
    Honestly, I would give your kids the option if they would like to or not. And maybe chat to the vet about what might happen & discuss this with your kids.

xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah I'm thinking I'll give the older two the option but maybe not have the 5 year old there. She would probably get too upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've had 3 dogs in my 40 ish years be put down and I still remember saying goodbye to my first lab when I was 12 - dad told us to say goodbye at home and then took him to the vet, I've always done it that way, including my last one 6 years ago - I've never watched them be put down as I wanted my last memory not to be of them dying ( even though it's obviously not painful for them) but a few friends always stay with their dogs so I suppose it's just what you feel is best - at 12 it would have been too traumatic for me to be at the vet as I grew up with him , it's heartbreaking which ever way you do it 😥

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 18 when my dog had to go to sleep. Im not going to lie, i dont think i have ever cried so much. But it gave me comfort to look into her eyes and pat her softly while she passed. Its very peaceful, just terribly sad. Personally i wouldnt have the younger child there and would give the older children the option.

So sorry to hear the news

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a dog but a cat. It was very peaceful, so peaceful in fact that I had to ask the vet to make sure he was gone twice.

I didn't and wouldn't have kids present for it ever. Although it was peaceful I was still very distressed by the whole process and can't imagine having to try to explain and comfort my child during the process. We said goodbye together at home and had a burial, I didn't think he would need to see the process of how the cat got there.

Its a heartbreaking time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a vet so this is professional experience. Depending on your clinic different things may happen. Some clinics sedate animals, some place a catheter and tape it in (sometimes the dog has to go out the back for this or a nurse holds), sometimes they attach a length of tubing to the catheter so the family can be closer. The most important thing is good access to the vein so if they don't use a catheter they may have a nurse hold while they administer the anaesthetic.
    Not all clinics do house calls but I used to prefer it. I felt it was nicer for animals to have their last moments at home.
    With regards to having the kids there, if they want to then let them. I found that below the age of about 8 kids were very understanding of what was happening, after that you did get some angry kids who wanted everything fixed. It wasn't that they didn't understand why, they just didn't want to believe it.

Once the anaesthetic is given things progress very quickly but a couple of things to remember - pets rarely close their eyes in death and they will sometimes take big gasping breaths after they die.

And despite all the clinical talk I'm sorry you are having to do this. Don't underestimate the impact this will have, pets are family.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (26-06-2015),TheGooch  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness I am so sorry you are going through this. What a horrible time you must be having.
    Unfortunately I've had to make the decision in the last 12 months.
    I was 35 weeks pregnant and had to get my dog put to sleep. I also stayed with my neighbors a few months ago when her dog got put to sleep..
    Most of the time it is beautiful. They literally do just go to sleep and don't wake up. Very peaceful and calm etc..
    There is a possibility of other things happening though. The dog could wee or poo every where.. they can have a little fit etc. Though I've never had it with any of my animals..
    The vet should mention that to you anyway.
    I don't know how common it is etc, but maybe it wouldn't be nice for your kids to see that part.
    What ever you decision, please know that we would all be thinking of you.. it's a really tough decision to make!
    Sending love xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this 😢 it's the hardest part about owning a pet I think.

I was 12 when we had our beautiful Belgian shepherd put down. Sadly she was riddled with cancer that had just started to show up in a few days. Before that she was her normal beautiful self and after she was diagnosed it was like the light went off in her eyes, we knew it was time.

I went with my dad to have her put down and she went so peacefully, just fell asleep. I think she knew it was time.
    I felt it was my chance to say goodbye and cuddle her. I was extremely upset but glad I was there.

When I was 18 I had to put my cat down, she was 16. I stayed with her every step of the way. She went down the way I expected.. With a fight. She ripped the vet to shreds. So I think if a young child were there it wouldn't have been a good thing. I was actually quite proud of my missy, she was a rat bag and I wouldn't of expected her to go easily. I know that sounds strange lol.

I'm sorry for you and your family, I'm sure you will make the right decision. Hugs. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I have had to put three animals to sleep. The most recent was a very young puppy sick with parvo. It's a hard decision to make no matter the circumstances. Our vet gives the dog something to sedate and calm them then the injection where it just seems like they are calmly going to sleep. I personally have found it a very difficult situation even as an adult and wouldn't be taking my children unless they were old enough to understand and ask to be there themselves.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app