+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go with option 2. Life is too short

It sounds like you've got a large lists of reasons you don't want to stay, and the only real reasons for staying are financial - but you save your entire pay anyway. To me, staying purely for financial reasons (and of course I mean financial reasons like just having extra money, not if it was a situation where you really needed your income to get by) almost never makes you happy.

My DH recently changed jobs - his pay was chopped in half, but he doesn't have to work away anymore and is much happier. Totally worth it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Hilldweller. Life is too short to be stuck in a job that you hate. We spend so many hours of our lives at work, I think it's important to at least get some satisfaction out of it.

If you have a plan for a career change then start taking steps to achieve it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (26-06-2015),HillDweller  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely some things to think about...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd come back and update as it seems the universe is telling me something!

Had my yearly performance review late last week and it was quite surprising! My role is going to be changed to a much more creative role, doing things that I really love doing which are closer to the type of career that I want. They're going to send me to several courses to learn the new skills and software that I'll need to use for it. So still no payrise, but they will be spending about $5K on upskilling me, so can't complain really as they're all resume building skills. All of the crappy boring tasks that I've been doing are being given to a new team member.

And I've been given some more flexibility with work which means that the commute will be a lot more bearable.

So I think I'm getting pretty strong messages that I should stay put for a while! Really happy with the outcome

Thanks again for all of your advice

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (25-09-2015),CakeyMumma  (01-07-2015),Cue  (01-07-2015),DT75  (02-07-2015),HappyBovinexx  (25-09-2015),JR03  (25-09-2015),littleriv  (02-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-07-2015),VicPark  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just double check the fine print in your contract regarding courses - some employers require you to stay for x number of months/years after completing a course or you have to pay them back. It's worth knowing what you're committing to.

Otherwise that's awesome news! Sounds like things are falling into place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Just double check the fine print in your contract regarding courses - some employers require you to stay for x number of months/years after completing a course or you have to pay them back. It's worth knowing what you're committing to.

Otherwise that's awesome news! Sounds like things are falling into place.
    Thanks @Cue. My original contract has never been updated and doesn't mention anything about courses/payment etc. My boss never mentions anything like that either

Thanks
    Reviews
    So a few things have changed over the last few weeks which have me pondering what to do, again!

My main reason for staying at my work was the mat leave entitlements, but they have just released a new policy basically taking the paid mat leave away. I'm so sick of the lies and underhandedness in this company! They put themselves out there as family friendly and an employer of choice, but then strip all of your family friendly entitlements away :/

Also, the new role and training I was promised has been lost in a 'restructure'. Basically they spent the money on something else, so I'm stuck doing work that I hate.

We have been ttc for close to 6 months now with no luck, although I won't know for another 2 weeks if we're preggo this cycle or not.

I'm so dissapointed and angry about all of this that I just want to leave. DH still supports me either way...

Ugh! What to do??

Just needed somewhere to vent about it all... sigh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you spoken to your manager and told them how disappointed you are? What were the excuses?

Personally I would leave. They promised you a new role and didn't deliver. We spend too long at work to be unhappy and unfulfilled. I know what it's like. I spent 12 months longer in a boring job because we were leaving the area and I didn't want to go throw the hassle of finding a new job, settling in and then leaving however many months later. But I was miserable the whole time and bored out of my brain which did affect other areas of my life.

So apply for other jobs in the field you're interested in. Life's too short to be unhappy at work.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-09-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Since my last comment, I have conceived so.

I am staying at my current job, going to study part time and while on mat leave, go back to work for a few months and switch careers then

ETA: just read your update. I would leave.
    Last edited by DT75; 25-09-2015 at 15:30.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Life's to short to be worried and stressed for an extended period because you're doing a boring job for a **** employer. I would find something closer to home. Even if it's not in your desired field.

Your call though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-09-2015)