+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD - Work Question

So, I kind of HATE my job and I want to leave, but am struggling to make the decision for several reasons. So I'm interested to hear objective perspectives to see if it will help me make up my mind.

Here's the facts/pros/cons:

- I've been at my job for almost 7 years. It's not at all what I want to do with my life, I just 'fell' into it. I'm sooo bored and I hate every minute of it.

- My commute is anywhere from 45mins to 1.5hrs depending on traffic, and I HATE driving. It makes me so stressed out and anxious. I feel like in the 6 hours a week I spend in the car I could be getting so much more done - housework, errands, spending time with DS.

- My boss/team are ok to get along with, but I do know there's a lot of bishing that goes on behind people's backs, and that they suspect me of chucking sickies (very much NOT true!).

- I haven't been given a payrise in 3 years even though I have gained qualifications in my field in that time and always had excellent feedback, and I know that this directly because I had a baby and went on mat leave. This happens to all mums at work.

- I'm worried that I'm leaving it too late to change to my desired career, which will require years of study, as I'm already 34.

- On the plus side, my hours are somewhat flexible on 2 of the 3 days I work.

- My pay rate is about $5-10ph more than what I'd get in my desired field.

- And the BIG one...I will get 14 weeks paid mat leave when we have our next baby. However, if the proposed changes to govt mat leave are implemented before we have bub #2 then I'd actually be better off getting the govt mat leave as its more money overall.

- We are currently ttc, but are thinking of putting it on hold for 6 months while I change to a job that's closer to home and entry level within my desired field.

- DH is fully supportive of whatever I decide.

- We currently save my entire pay, so it won't make us any worse off on a weekly basis, but it will take us a bit longer to reach our goals if I get a lower paying job.

So...WWYD??

1. Stay in current job, keep ttc, get mat leave, then quit and move into chosen field. Bearing in mind that we have had 2 mc's so if we have fertility issues our ttc journey may be a long one.

2. Put off ttc for 6 months & get new job closer to home, with a lower pay rate, but more fulfilling.

Thanks for reading my novel/whinge/ramble!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would say option 2 as you won't be struggling to make ends meet if you changed jobs but you will be A LOT happier. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Qrazelna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would say option 2, but don't put off TTC for too long. There's no reason why you can't get a new job and TTC at the same time. At least then you've got a bit of experience in your desired field under your belt. Do what makes you happy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I say go option 2. I wouldn't feel right about ttc until at least 6 months into the new job though - would feel guilty if I had to leave after not being there long. That's just me though

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I say go option 2. I wouldn't feel right about ttc until at least 6 months into the new job though - would feel guilty if I had to leave after not being there long. That's just me though
    Yeah that was one of my concerns, is feel bad for taking mat leave too soon after starting. But given the ttc/pregnancy issues we've had in the past it will probably take us a while to fall pregnant anyway. But we were going to put it off for about 6 months, that is if we go with option 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to say option 1. BUT set yourself a limit. For example stay in this job and keep Ttc for 6 months but if no bfp then put things on hold and change jobs. X

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I'm going to say option 1. BUT set yourself a limit. For example stay in this job and keep Ttc for 6 months but if no bfp then put things on hold and change jobs. X
    That might be a good option

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I want to say 2, but given our current financial situation I am doing 1, sort of- not ttc currently.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, option 1 is what I am thinking- secure, flexible employment, which you can do part-time, mat leave entitlements etc- I would definitely stay there until you have your final baby- it's amazing you can save your entire pay packet, that's wonderful. And keep ttc right now. Re-assess options a little further down the track. All the best.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

DT75  (26-06-2015),Frankenmum  (26-06-2015)