So, I kind of HATE my job and I want to leave, but am struggling to make the decision for several reasons. So I'm interested to hear objective perspectives to see if it will help me make up my mind.
Here's the facts/pros/cons:
- I've been at my job for almost 7 years. It's not at all what I want to do with my life, I just 'fell' into it. I'm sooo bored and I hate every minute of it.
- My commute is anywhere from 45mins to 1.5hrs depending on traffic, and I HATE driving. It makes me so stressed out and anxious. I feel like in the 6 hours a week I spend in the car I could be getting so much more done - housework, errands, spending time with DS.
- My boss/team are ok to get along with, but I do know there's a lot of bishing that goes on behind people's backs, and that they suspect me of chucking sickies (very much NOT true!).
- I haven't been given a payrise in 3 years even though I have gained qualifications in my field in that time and always had excellent feedback, and I know that this directly because I had a baby and went on mat leave. This happens to all mums at work.
- I'm worried that I'm leaving it too late to change to my desired career, which will require years of study, as I'm already 34.
- On the plus side, my hours are somewhat flexible on 2 of the 3 days I work.
- My pay rate is about $5-10ph more than what I'd get in my desired field.
- And the BIG one...I will get 14 weeks paid mat leave when we have our next baby. However, if the proposed changes to govt mat leave are implemented before we have bub #2 then I'd actually be better off getting the govt mat leave as its more money overall.
- We are currently ttc, but are thinking of putting it on hold for 6 months while I change to a job that's closer to home and entry level within my desired field.
- DH is fully supportive of whatever I decide.
- We currently save my entire pay, so it won't make us any worse off on a weekly basis, but it will take us a bit longer to reach our goals if I get a lower paying job.
1. Stay in current job, keep ttc, get mat leave, then quit and move into chosen field. Bearing in mind that we have had 2 mc's so if we have fertility issues our ttc journey may be a long one.
2. Put off ttc for 6 months & get new job closer to home, with a lower pay rate, but more fulfilling.
Thanks for reading my novel/whinge/ramble!