+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day sleep for 2yr old

My DD will be two next month, as I leave her with my mother and MIL during the day she doesn't have a day sleep no matter how hard they try she will not sleep.

I am still Breast feeding, however she can spend the day without me. My mother and MIL try to give her a bottle of milk, she won't drink it. To get her to sleep for me I breast feed her before sleeping. I have tried to wean her off breastfeeding but she just wont drink from a bottle or sippy cup.

So her not having a day sleep is affecting night sleeping alot. I don't know what to do. I am waking several times a night and I am not functioning during the day.

She is with my mother/MIL 4-5 times a week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In my experience, grandmothers are softies.

I know my mil will go in and keep on checking if she's asleep, or if they make a noise (not crying) they just won't leave them be to fall asleep on their own. I tried to explain my mil when she was here to only go in if she was crying.

I don't know if your mum or mil is like that but that is my experience.

I really don't know any other solution, sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Do they take your daughter out? To playground?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you stop breastfeeding to sleep... And give your toddler other sleep queues (a set routine) then the Nannas should be able to use those queues to get toddler to sleep at their house. Nanas can't breastfeed to sleep so just create a new routine all round.

It may take a new routine a week to make a difference so whatever you do hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with BRV. Both nannas suck at bedtimes and naptimes at my house as they cave in quickly. So I now insist on them physically laying down with the kids to sleep.

That worked a charm. Now the kids nap together with their grandmother.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can your partner put her down for a nap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you stop breastfeeding to sleep... And give your toddler other sleep queues (a set routine) then the Nannas should be able to use those queues to get toddler to sleep at their house. Nanas can't breastfeed to sleep so just create a new routine all round.

It may take a new routine a week to make a difference so whatever you do hang in there.
    This.
    Does she have a particular toy she takes to bed? Or a noise that plays? Or a routine she goes through before going to bed (rhyme etc)?
    With my DD (22 months) her nap time routine is the same regardless of whether I'm putting her down, hubby is or if she's at my step mums house. She has lunch, then nappy change, into dark room for sleeping bag, drink of water (if she wants it), then a short rhyme and into her bed. She has a monkey toy that she sleeps with and a very low level white noise. Everything goes with her to her Nanny's house so it's kept as similar as possible.
    I would suggest slowly introducing some new routines for her. She doesn't need the BF to sleep but it's what you've cued her to need. Try replacing it with something other people can do :-) good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day sleep for 2yr old

I have this issue too, my mum looks after dd 2 days a week and she will not nap for her. She did when she was younger but when she dropped to one nap mum could just not get her to sleep. When I weaned her at 2 it made no difference.

I know it's because dd knows she can get away with it for my mum. She cries and carries on with mum, she knows that gets her nowhere with me!

I empathise, as only 2 days a week with no big nap kills me and affects her behaviour. It stuffs up our routine too. I'm lucky I get home at 2ish and usually chuck her into bed for an hour or so but throws everything out napping that late.

All I can suggest it that you either ask them to get tough (mum just can't or won't) or that you ask they take her for a long walk or drive after lunch in the hope of getting a nap in there sometime. Your dd is old enough to understand that you provide the boobs and that she should be able to settle without it when you are not there. As I said, weaning made no difference.

Good luck, you must be exhausted xxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 26-06-2015 at 11:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I'll have another talk to them and ask exactly what is happening

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In my experience, grandmothers are softies.

I know my mil will go in and keep on checking if she's asleep, or if they make a noise (not crying) they just won't leave them be to fall asleep on their own. I tried to explain my mil when she was here to only go in if she was crying.

I don't know if your mum or mil is like that but that is my experience.

I really don't know any other solution, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, not sure what will work. Or if I should just let it go.