+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How protective of your newborn are/were you?

In regards to them getting sick, do you pass them around to anyone who wants a cuddle?
    Do you avoid big gatherings of people? Ie. Special events, shopping centres.

For a bit of an example, when DD will be 10 days old there is a big charity event for a great cause in my area, and when she is 30 days old is our towns yearly huge markets, they shut all the main streets in town and have loads of fun things for the kids.
    I probably won't take DD to either, and my family think I'm being a bit over protective. I even am worried about DS going in case he picks something up and brings it home.

Just wondering what other people's views are on this topic? If you wouldn't take them out in crowded public places, at what age do you think it's ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I probably wouldn't do it for so many reasons; who knows how you'll recover if you can even get out to either of those events, maybe you will have had a $hit night and unable to go etc..

There are so many reasons to not make plans and illness or catching something is one of them. I think they're being unreasonably pushy. Tell them you'll go and then just don't

Also whooping cough is so rife this year. I won't be having any unvaxxed friends or family around my bub for the first 6 weeks.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-06-2015),dollypops  (25-06-2015),KitiK  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I avoid any contact with anyone anywhere until after the 1st lot of immunisations at least. This is #3 and I still avoid highly populated areas/shopping centers after that and don't let anyone hold him... ott maybe, but my children, my choice. You have to do what you are comfortable with 😊

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't. I took both babes out to places in either their pram, covered up, or in a carrier. I couldn't stay home, I go stir crazy.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Cue  (24-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not protective at all. I need to get out or I can't function. I baby wear which helps keep randoms and their germs away.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am and was pretty relaxed. I obviously won't let people who are sick hold my babies but I will take them out to things while very young especially when I can put them in a baby carrier and keep them nice and close. I took DS1 to a busy shop when 4 days old just to get out and DS2 went to playgroup at 1 week old. Both times they stayed in a carrier.

That said totally your choice on what you feel comfortable with

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lay low until bubs 1st jabs. As for people holding bubs, I only really caught up with family, all of who had recently had their whooping cough shot. Your baby, your rules.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-06-2015),KitiK  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I didn't. I took both babes out to places in either their pram, covered up, or in a carrier. I couldn't stay home, I go stir crazy.
    This was me with DS. DD I stayed home more as she was a cryer and didn't like her crying in public.

Catching illness / diseases wasn't part of my thought pattern for either of my children.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I probably wouldn't do it for so many reasons; who knows how you'll recover if you can even get out to either of those events, maybe you will have had a $hit night and unable to go etc..

There are so many reasons to not make plans and illness or catching something is one of them. I think they're being unreasonably pushy. Tell them you'll go and then just don't

Also whooping cough is so rife this year. I won't be having any unvaxxed friends or family around my bub for the first 6 weeks.
    I actually didn't think about the fact I'm having an elective cesarean so that's a good excuse for not going to the first event!

Yes I also won't be having many people hold her, just very close family, I just don't think it's worth the risk!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-06-2015),KitiK  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    We avoided taking DD out (unless absolutely necessary) until after her first lot of immunisations. We also avoided other children (besides my 2 nephews who I know are fully immunised plus my sisters could be trusted not to bring them around her if they had so much as a sniffle) until then as well.

We were told prior to discharge from the hospital not to let anyone (especially other children) kiss/touch her face but to offer the back of her head for a quick kiss. We were particular about who we allowed to hold her as well (immediate family and one of my BFF's mainly).

Yes, it prob sounds a bit O.T.T but we weren't willing to take the risk of her contracting something that may have been life threatening and it does happen as we see all too often.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (24-06-2015),SpicyTurtle  (24-06-2015)