+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default nearly 5 yo, still wearing nappies at night and wetting in the day.

DS is 4.5 yo, has been TT since he was about 2.4 yo. He did so well coming out of nappies initially but has gone wayyyyy backwards.
    Hes never had a dry night. We have tried several times and he has wet EVERY time.

He started wetting his pants sometimes 3 times a day. Hes fine at kindy. One or two accidents when he first started but has been fine since.
    Its when hes home.

I spoke to his kindy teachers and they suggested taking him out of nappies at night as it might be confusing him and making him think its ok to wet during the day.

Its been two days/nights. He hasnt wet his pants in the day since but he is wet every morning. DH and i said we would get up and wake him a couple of times a night. Well, two nights into it and DH is sick of getting up. I told him i will but he just says 'but you wont wake up'. Im a heaver sleeper than him.

Last night DS was dry at 10pm, and then 2 pm then 4pm but was wet when he woke at 730. DH is ****ed cos he was dry all through the night.

I dont know what the answer is!! Should i just let him wet and wake up or should we keep waking him up to go toilet in the night? DS is tried in the morning cos we wake him up.

Any help PLEASE!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is almost 6 and he is still in night nappies. He also has accidents during the day both wee and poo. We have been to the Dr's about it twice. They just keep telling me that he will become dry when he is ready. My DS has bowel issues which is why he has poo accidents other than that he is fine. Have you been to see your GP ?

All I can see is you need to be patient. During the warmer months I refused to but nappies thinking he would stop but he never did. For months I changed sheets in the middle of the night sometimes 2 or 3 times. He has gotten better in the sense that it now works him up and he will come and let me know he use to just sleep through all wet. I double make his bed. Mattress protector, fitted sheet another mattress protector and another fitted sheet. Makes it allot easier in the middle of the night. I also purchased a brolly sheet from Spotlight, it's a god send !!
    Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mccab For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4.5 year old is still in night nappies.
    You can not teach night dryness, it is a hormone that needs to kick in.
    I would put him in night nappies and encourage at regular intervals to use the bathroom during the day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 5 in august and still wears pull ups at night. I'm so stressed about it. Her nappy is soaked every morning and when we attempted to take away the nappies she was wetting sometimes 2-3 times a night. It was wearing me down. I dunno what els3 to do so I'm not m u ch help to you just letting you know you're not alone.

Ps I asked our gp and she said they won't do anything about it until she's 7

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm stressed reading that post op. I think put him back in night nappies and forget about it. My DS is 4 and shows no sign what so ever being night trained but I'm not worried. He will not poo in a toilet yet either. He will get there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD took a while to be dry at night, we switched to pull ups/dry nites to try and get her to understand these were just for nights, they weren't nappies. She was never dry but insisted on wearing undies to bed - never done so much washing, nearly every night she would wet the bed. We didn't want to dent her enthusiasm but after three weeks I had to. I explained that her body wasn't ready she slept too well (something she's quite proud of as her older brother is a rotten sleeper) and she wasn't waking when she needed a wee.

We put her back in pull ups for a couple of months and tried again and in 4 months since hasn't had an accident. It just needs to click with their body more than anything.

DS was dry day and night in one hit when he was three, he just decided he'd had enough and I think he's had one accident in 5 years - but he can hold it all day!

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was in night nappies until almost six - halfway through prep - I was stressed but had to let it be and she got it in her own time.

I had to learn to see the two as separate as the sensations rely on sleep patterns for night.

Not sure about the day - unless the stress of the night nappy is affecting the day.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    My 4.5 year old is still in night nappies.
    You can not teach night dryness, it is a hormone that needs to kick in.
    I would put him in night nappies and encourage at regular intervals to use the bathroom during the day.
    Which hormone? I'm not being rude, genuinely curious as I've never heard of that before. Intrigued..

Eta.. Just found this article that mentions having a low level of a certain hormone can cause bedwetting in some children, but nothing about a hormone that needs to "kick in" in order for them to develop bladder control..
    http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...ing_(cyh).html
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 24-06-2015 at 21:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default nearly 5 yo, still wearing nappies at night and wetting in the day.

I actually looked this up the other day as my DS was night trained at 3 but my friends son at 5 still wears pull ups and she said DS must have a high level of this hormone to go 12 hours a night without going to the toilet!

The hormone ADH (Anti-diuretic Hormone) stops the overproduction of urine at nights - so we don't produce the same amount as when we are awake. If this hormone is low in your child then too much urine can be produced.

"Low anti-diuretic hormone (ADH). This hormone tells the kidneys to make less urine. Studies show that some kids who wet the bed release less of this hormone while asleep. More urine can mean more bedwetting." (http://www.webmd.com/children/featur...wetting-causes)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (25-06-2015),~Marigold~  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was in night time nappies until she was six and a half, even though she was dry during the day from age 2. We ended up getting our GP to refer her to program which used an alarm to wake her with really good results. The program gave her control over what was happening, she knew the alarm was her responsibility. She learnt that her brain needs to be the boss of the bladder. They recommend not waking the child at night to toilet because the brain needs to learn to listen to messages from the bladder, then the brain wakes the body to go to the toilet. My DS is now 5 and also in night time nappies, I'm not concerned about him but will look into doing the program with him as well if he doesn't become dry himself this year.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sabrew For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (24-06-2015)