+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dreaming of becoming a SAHM

Hi lovely ladies 😊

I first want to start by saying that I hope this post doesn't offend anyone as it is not my intention.

Just wanting to chat with some other SAHM's out there.

All I have ever wanted is to be a mum, I feel as though that is what I was put on this planet to do. I love being a wife and looking after my husband and cant wait for when I can stay at home full time to care for him and our children.

We aren't TTC yet, but I am planning & budgeting like crazy to allow my dream to become a reality.

I am after advice on what I can do now to turn my dream into a reality.

So far I have done:

- Decided I will birth through the public system to save $$

- Getting as much debt paid off as possible

- Saving 2 months worths of living expenses as a buffer

- Saving a certain amount for bub for nursery and all related costs

What else can I do??

Please no negative comments.

Thank you 😊😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello again

I've been a SAHM for 9 months (since the birth of DS). I'm going back to study next week to finish of my masters 2 days/week but once that's done I will have baby #2 and probably be a SAHM for a little while, then hopefully work part-time while my babies are young (early school years at least).

I think really all I can advise is to save save save! If you have any credit card debt or loans (outside of a mortgage) aim to have these paid off ASAP as it will definitely ease any financial burdens. If you don't already have a budget, perhaps try and write one up to follow so you can make the most out of your money.

With the nursery and babies items - you can pick up a lot of used but near new baby things for a fraction of the cost. We picked up a second hand set of cot and change table - brand new would have been ~$1000 but we paid $200! A sand and coat of paint and it's brand new. Don't be afraid to ask to borrow items from family/friends (things like bouncers/rockers/bassinets are good as they can only really be used for a short time) and do take anything that is offered to you (borrowed or otherwise), it all helps save in the long run! I have a close group of friends and we all pass things around to each other - helps a lot! Gumtree and buy/swap/sell pages are great to find some bargains.

HTH

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (24-06-2015),MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Hello again

I've been a SAHM for 9 months (since the birth of DS). I'm going back to study next week to finish of my masters 2 days/week but once that's done I will have baby #2 and probably be a SAHM for a little while, then hopefully work part-time while my babies are young (early school years at least).

I think really all I can advise is to save save save! If you have any credit card debt or loans (outside of a mortgage) aim to have these paid off ASAP as it will definitely ease any financial burdens. If you don't already have a budget, perhaps try and write one up to follow so you can make the most out of your money.

With the nursery and babies items - you can pick up a lot of used but near new baby things for a fraction of the cost. We picked up a second hand set of cot and change table - brand new would have been ~$1000 but we paid $200! A sand and coat of paint and it's brand new. Don't be afraid to ask to borrow items from family/friends (things like bouncers/rockers/bassinets are good as they can only really be used for a short time) and do take anything that is offered to you (borrowed or otherwise), it all helps save in the long run! I have a close group of friends and we all pass things around to each other - helps a lot! Gumtree and buy/swap/sell pages are great to find some bargains.

HTH
    Thank you so much! You have been a big help lately!

Definitely going to get everything second hand as I love a good bargain and in the big scheme of things, thats not what is important.

I get so excited about it all and I am really working my butt off to be financially stable to ease the burden of dropping down to 1 income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehe I was you not that long ago - it's a super exciting time in your life! Good luck TTC!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been a working mum and a SAHM at different times in my life, had both of my kids in daycare (DS in before/after school care) and by far being a SAHM was the most fulfilling path for me.
    No practical advice, you seem to be making a great start and are definitely on the right track, just wanted to say that I completely agree with you regarding feeling like being a mother is what you were born to do Good luck x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Hehe I was you not that long ago - it's a super exciting time in your life! Good luck TTC!
    Thank you 😊😊😊😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I've been a working mum and a SAHM at different times in my life, had both of my kids in daycare (DS in before/after school care) and by far being a SAHM was the most fulfilling path for me.
    No practical advice, you seem to be making a great start and are definitely on the right track, just wanted to say that I completely agree with you regarding feeling like being a mother is what you were born to do Good luck x
    Thank you so much @~Marigold~ that is so lovely of you 😊

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't do this as we can only afford for me to stay home while on paid leave which I'm lucky will be nearly a year for each child but if you plan to be on one income can you start living off one now. That way you can see if it's manageable and you can also use your entire wage as a savings

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (24-06-2015),MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I didn't do this as we can only afford for me to stay home while on paid leave which I'm lucky will be nearly a year for each child but if you plan to be on one income can you start living off one now. That way you can see if it's manageable and you can also use your entire wage as a savings
    Good idea! Then we can get an idea if it will work or not - thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently a SAHM. While I wouldn't say it's my dream job I'm happy to be able to be with my son during his first year of life. I am planning on working in the near future but it will be a career change to suit being a mother.

The best advice I can give is to budget to live on only your husband's income now. Your income should only be going to pay off debts and I'm the savings. This is what we did. It will really give you a feel for how life will be like on one income alone, while also boosting your savings. You will be able to see clearly where you may need to cut expenses. For example, we got rid of our Foxtel. We also couldn't afford eating out very often and DH got into the habit of taking lunch to work instead of buying lunches (I already took my lunch in at the time, but mostly because there was nothing around my old office but a subway and chicken treat... Blah).

I don't know if that's very helpful but I figured if we can't live on his income alone before having a child, how would we manage it after?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post: