+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Dreaming of becoming a SAHM

    Hi lovely ladies 😊

    I first want to start by saying that I hope this post doesn't offend anyone as it is not my intention.

    Just wanting to chat with some other SAHM's out there.

    All I have ever wanted is to be a mum, I feel as though that is what I was put on this planet to do. I love being a wife and looking after my husband and cant wait for when I can stay at home full time to care for him and our children.

    We aren't TTC yet, but I am planning & budgeting like crazy to allow my dream to become a reality.

    I am after advice on what I can do now to turn my dream into a reality.

    So far I have done:

    - Decided I will birth through the public system to save $$

    - Getting as much debt paid off as possible

    - Saving 2 months worths of living expenses as a buffer

    - Saving a certain amount for bub for nursery and all related costs

    What else can I do??

    Please no negative comments.

    Thank you 😊😊

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked
    846
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello again

    I've been a SAHM for 9 months (since the birth of DS). I'm going back to study next week to finish of my masters 2 days/week but once that's done I will have baby #2 and probably be a SAHM for a little while, then hopefully work part-time while my babies are young (early school years at least).

    I think really all I can advise is to save save save! If you have any credit card debt or loans (outside of a mortgage) aim to have these paid off ASAP as it will definitely ease any financial burdens. If you don't already have a budget, perhaps try and write one up to follow so you can make the most out of your money.

    With the nursery and babies items - you can pick up a lot of used but near new baby things for a fraction of the cost. We picked up a second hand set of cot and change table - brand new would have been ~$1000 but we paid $200! A sand and coat of paint and it's brand new. Don't be afraid to ask to borrow items from family/friends (things like bouncers/rockers/bassinets are good as they can only really be used for a short time) and do take anything that is offered to you (borrowed or otherwise), it all helps save in the long run! I have a close group of friends and we all pass things around to each other - helps a lot! Gumtree and buy/swap/sell pages are great to find some bargains.

    HTH

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (24-06-2015),MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Hello again

    I've been a SAHM for 9 months (since the birth of DS). I'm going back to study next week to finish of my masters 2 days/week but once that's done I will have baby #2 and probably be a SAHM for a little while, then hopefully work part-time while my babies are young (early school years at least).

    I think really all I can advise is to save save save! If you have any credit card debt or loans (outside of a mortgage) aim to have these paid off ASAP as it will definitely ease any financial burdens. If you don't already have a budget, perhaps try and write one up to follow so you can make the most out of your money.

    With the nursery and babies items - you can pick up a lot of used but near new baby things for a fraction of the cost. We picked up a second hand set of cot and change table - brand new would have been ~$1000 but we paid $200! A sand and coat of paint and it's brand new. Don't be afraid to ask to borrow items from family/friends (things like bouncers/rockers/bassinets are good as they can only really be used for a short time) and do take anything that is offered to you (borrowed or otherwise), it all helps save in the long run! I have a close group of friends and we all pass things around to each other - helps a lot! Gumtree and buy/swap/sell pages are great to find some bargains.

    HTH
    Thank you so much! You have been a big help lately!

    Definitely going to get everything second hand as I love a good bargain and in the big scheme of things, thats not what is important.

    I get so excited about it all and I am really working my butt off to be financially stable to ease the burden of dropping down to 1 income.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked
    846
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hehe I was you not that long ago - it's a super exciting time in your life! Good luck TTC!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

    MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

  7. #5
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been a working mum and a SAHM at different times in my life, had both of my kids in daycare (DS in before/after school care) and by far being a SAHM was the most fulfilling path for me.
    No practical advice, you seem to be making a great start and are definitely on the right track, just wanted to say that I completely agree with you regarding feeling like being a mother is what you were born to do Good luck x

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

    MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Hehe I was you not that long ago - it's a super exciting time in your life! Good luck TTC!
    Thank you 😊😊😊😊

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I've been a working mum and a SAHM at different times in my life, had both of my kids in daycare (DS in before/after school care) and by far being a SAHM was the most fulfilling path for me.
    No practical advice, you seem to be making a great start and are definitely on the right track, just wanted to say that I completely agree with you regarding feeling like being a mother is what you were born to do Good luck x
    Thank you so much @~Marigold~ that is so lovely of you 😊

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

    ~Marigold~  (24-06-2015)

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,196
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't do this as we can only afford for me to stay home while on paid leave which I'm lucky will be nearly a year for each child but if you plan to be on one income can you start living off one now. That way you can see if it's manageable and you can also use your entire wage as a savings

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (24-06-2015),MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked
    589
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I didn't do this as we can only afford for me to stay home while on paid leave which I'm lucky will be nearly a year for each child but if you plan to be on one income can you start living off one now. That way you can see if it's manageable and you can also use your entire wage as a savings
    Good idea! Then we can get an idea if it will work or not - thanks for the tip.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    142
    Reviews
    4
    I'm currently a SAHM. While I wouldn't say it's my dream job I'm happy to be able to be with my son during his first year of life. I am planning on working in the near future but it will be a career change to suit being a mother.

    The best advice I can give is to budget to live on only your husband's income now. Your income should only be going to pay off debts and I'm the savings. This is what we did. It will really give you a feel for how life will be like on one income alone, while also boosting your savings. You will be able to see clearly where you may need to cut expenses. For example, we got rid of our Foxtel. We also couldn't afford eating out very often and DH got into the habit of taking lunch to work instead of buying lunches (I already took my lunch in at the time, but mostly because there was nothing around my old office but a subway and chicken treat... Blah).

    I don't know if that's very helpful but I figured if we can't live on his income alone before having a child, how would we manage it after?

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

    MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. I'm going to be a SAHM soon!!!!!
    By Apple iPhart6 in forum Stay At Home Mums (SAHMs) Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 23:10
  2. Not sure if I was dreaming...
    By Phony in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-07-2014, 10:54
  3. Why? Sleeping/dreaming dramas (me)
    By Little Miss Sunshine in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-07-2014, 15:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hire For Baby Perth
New RETAIL store - Perth Hire For Baby Perth
Here at Hire for Baby, we offer a wide range of products from Child Restraints to Strollers, Stroller Accessories and Oricom Baby Monitors. Wholesale prices - till the stock ends. Buy from us and get the installation for FREE.
Like us on Facebook and get $10 OFF
featured supporter
Be In Blossom
We offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus on optimising posture, body awareness, pelvic floor support, back care and maintaining fitness, aiming to assist women prepare and recover from their birth.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!