+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Bub probably isn't putting enough pressure on the cervix. It's annoying to wait but it will happen. Good luck.
    Oh god there is so much pressure down there!! How much more do I need? 😆

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With ds1 my waters hadn't broken properly so ob broke them the following morning. I had them broken straight up with ds2 and ds3 at the start of induction. Labour progressed both times soon after waters were broken, was great compared to the long labour I had with ds1

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an induction with my last 2 babies (due to medical reasons) - both tines i was 3cm dilated & 50% effaced when i went in, heaps of pre labour contraxtions & felt like i was ready to give birth any moment. The plan for induction was to break the waters, wait a few hours, &then start a drip. Both times breaking my waters did nothing - labour only started when the drip went in. If i had the choice, i would 100% wait for labour to start on its own. Unless youre overdue or have a medical issue, my natural (non induced) labour was soooooo much better. As soon as your waters are broken, youre on the clock, & its easy for the cascade of intervention to occur. I hated being in hospital trying to 'make' myself go into labour before they put in the drip. Id much rather have the chance to go into labour at home. But this is just me & my experience

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akakura View Post
    Oh god there is so much pressure down there!! How much more do I need? 😆
    Your babys head has to be flexed in a certain way with the crown exerting even pressure over the whole cervix.

Both my girls were posterior and heads slightly tilted so I had 3-4cm dilated for a couple of weeks.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akakura View Post
    My ob has said bub is already very low. He was surprised how low bub was for someone not already in labour. He said once waters are broken he will give 5 hrs for labour to start then it will be syntocin time. I'm hoping that breaking the waters will be the thing that starts labour but of course no one can guarantee that. Just wanted to see what others had experienced
    That makes me uncomfortable that he is rushing you and putting you on a schedule.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That makes me uncomfortable that he is rushing you and putting you on a schedule.

I think they tend to start the synto pretty quickly when they do ARM due to the very slightly higher infection risk whereas they tend to leave the woman for longer with PROM. That's what I've observed over the last few years anyway.

There's always exceptions. I recently worked with a woman who was left for 48hrs for labour to start after ARM. Her compromise was IV antibiotics. She went on to have a very easy 2 hour labour once her contractions began. This is not something that is usually done though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a my waters broken to start labour with my fourth, a little bit different though as her head wasn't low so I had a small dose of gel the night before to start some cramps to push head down low enough so that breaking my waters wouldn't risk cord prolapse. Anyway, as soon as my waters were broken I had two reasonable contraction then it was game on and DD was born 25 minutes later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My bub was 10 days late and as he was my second induction (both at 10 days late) they broke my waters instead of using the gels as the gels worked within 2 hours the first time around.

It was fine, I didn't feel a thing. Well nothing painful, I felt a **** load of waters come out and flood the bed, it was uncomfortable but nothing more. I then went for a walk around the outside of the hospital and my contractions started 20 minutes later.

With any induction, labour happened really quickly right from the get go. Long, painful and close together contractions about 15 minutes after contractions started for the entire labour. As soon as I got back to the room they called for the anaesthetist and had my epidural about 1/2 hour later. DS was born 3.5 hours after that.

In my case (2nd birth) DS had the cord wrapped around his neck which may have been the cause of not going into labour naturally.

Do you want to be induced this early? Or does your OB? Generally waiting until 10 days over can be best if you wait that long. Any more and it can increase your chances of complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    That's how inductions work. By breaking someone's waters you're making a commitment to having that baby delivered within a certain timeframe.

You wouldn't break someone's waters and let them sit around all day waiting for them to start contracting.

Like I said someone who's had a baby before, give it a few hours to do it on their own otherwise get on it with it and start the syntocinon.

Doesn't mean I think OP should just get induced for the sake of it, just explaining how it works.
    I understand how inductions work. Doesn't mean they make me feel comfortable about having a strict timeline.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was completely my choice to have my waters broken. My ob is great and just gave me options with pros and cons for them. Like I said I'm quite impatient and have been over being pregnant for awhile now (I realise these are not strong reasons to be induced 😆). But I was 5cm dilated already, 2nd pregnancy, bub measuring big, so I thought lets do it!

My waters were broken at 8am this morning, I was monitored for 45mins, cheeky bub moved from LOA to ROP during this time and then DH and I went for a walk. Labour started at 10:30 with mild contractions for an hr then they intensified!! I used a tens machine and the gas and bub was born sunny side up (posterior) at 2:15!!! She is 4.2kg. My ob was amazing and along with DH and the midwife they got me thru this intense delivery. What a ride!!

Thanks for all ur responses, I realise inductions are a contentious issue but i believe being fully informed about the process helps each women make the right choice for them and their situation.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akakura For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-06-2015),~Marigold~  (25-06-2015)