+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you have your waters artificially broken to start labour?

I am almost 40w (39w4d) and this is my second pregnancy. Bub has been engaged or dropped since 36w and in perfect position for birth. I had a stretch and sweep at 38w4d and I was already 3cm dilated. Today I am 5cm and fully effaced. Why aren't I in labour?? Ob has offered to break my waters to kick start labour. Please tell me ur stories! Did it work for u? I'm so impatient and uncomfortable

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh you poor thing. The waiting at the end is worse than the waiting to tell people at the start!!
    Had mine broken both times, did nothing to start labour but the relief from the heaviness was brilliant, and meant I was in hosp so I knew it'd have to all start soon. Hang in there x
    Last edited by Mmumm; 24-06-2015 at 17:36.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine broken with my first.

Is your baby posteria by any chance? Keep in mind, if they break your waters and labour still fails to progress, you will need to be induced within 24-48 hours due to the high risk of infection having lost your waters.
    With my second baby, my waters broke naturally at home but labour failed to progress due to bubs being in the posteria position and not pressing down on my cervix.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had mine broken with my first. Worked at treat, active labour started within 20 minutes and DS was born 8 hours later. All the best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I had mine broken with my first.

Is your baby posteria by any chance? Keep in mind, if they break your waters and labour still fails to progress, you will need to be induced within 24-48 hours due to the high risk of infection having lost your waters.
    With my second baby, my waters broke naturally at home but labour failed to progress due to bubs being in the posteria position and not pressing down on my cervix.
    This was my story too.

Your baby is probably posterior or not in the right spot.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responding. Bub is anterior. Ob has u/s in his room and has been scanning every visit and since she dropped has been anterior. My first bub was posterior (born 40w3d) and this bub kicks in different spots to him. so I just think she's quite comfy, but I'm certainly not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by akakura View Post
    Thanks for responding. Bub is anterior. Ob has u/s in his room and has been scanning every visit and since she dropped has been anterior. My first bub was posterior (born 40w3d) and this bub kicks in different spots to him. so I just think she's quite comfy, but I'm certainly not!
    Bub probably isn't putting enough pressure on the cervix. It's annoying to wait but it will happen. Good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my waters broken with babes 2 & 3, but was well and truly in active labour first. Both times things got instantly full on after waters were broken and babies were born within 45 mins

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my waters broken with my second baby at 40+3, but I had the gel first as my cervix was completely shut. 8hrs after having gel, waters broken, and drip started - nothing! Only 2cm. My OB suggested turning everything off and letting my body rest overnight with the hope I'd go into labour and avoid a Caesarian. As soon as the drip & epidural were turned off I went into full-on labour! DS was born 2.5hrs later. He just wanted to come on his own terms! It was a beautiful and relaxed birth though, much nicer than my spontaneous delivery with DD.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

akakura  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It's different with inductions. Breaking someone's waters means a commitment to delivering that baby.

With someone who's had a baby before, if contractions haven't started within a few hours of breaking their waters you'd be looking at using syntocinon to induce labour. This also means continuous fetal monitoring and a higher risk of a caesarean.

There's also a chance that its the membranes (bag of waters) that is dilating the cervix, and once they break and the head comes down onto the cervix, the cervix goes back to 2-3cm dilated.

Obviously something is happening for your cervix to be dilating. Fingers cross your waters break at home soon or labour kicks in
    My ob has said bub is already very low. He was surprised how low bub was for someone not already in labour. He said once waters are broken he will give 5 hrs for labour to start then it will be syntocin time. I'm hoping that breaking the waters will be the thing that starts labour but of course no one can guarantee that. Just wanted to see what others had experienced