+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default LeapPad 3 or XDI Ultra or total waste of money

Thinking of either of these for DS's 4th birthday. He has trouble on my ipad staying in his folder and I've tried all sorts of ways to keep him out of my stuff but nothing works so far. If there was just an app that could lock in one folder that would work maybe. Anyway I thought maybe one of these would give him the freedom he needs. I know the games are quite expensive compared to regular apps but other than a cheapie tablet is there anything better? The LeapPad 3 is $99 and the XDI Ultra $149. Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't help with Leap Pads, but have you tried Guided Access for the iPad?
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202612

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, tried that but it only works on one game at a time. You can't seem to set it up for a folder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a shame, I knew of it but hadn't used it so wasn't sure it would be suitable for you.

If you can stretch the budget, I'd look at getting a separate iPad just for kids stuff or an Android tablet. Even a 2nd hand one would have more potential to grow with your son than being tied into buying LeapPad games that he might grow out of in a few months. You can get an app called Kids Place for Android that you set up with a PIN and it will only run apps you have pre-approved. The kid can't get out of it without the PIN. It's worked great for us but there doesn't seem to be an iPad equivalent.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynken For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (26-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews

Default LeapPad 3

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you made a decision on the LeapPad 3 or XDI Ultra? I'm in the same situation with my 3yo. I've purchased a LeapPad 3 for his birthday next month but i'm not sure whether to keep it or return it. The downside for me is the cost of the apps/cartridges, plus he's still young so i'm not sure whether to spend all this money on something for a 3yo who may/may not like it!
    I've got two boys who are rough with everything they touch so I'd prefer something that is robust which is why I went for the LeapPad instead of a second hand iPad. I'm just not sure if I've made the right decision as there doesn't seem to be many reviews out there on the LeapPad 3 and i'm new to all this technical equipment for kids!
    I hope someone can share their experience to help make our decisions easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the right place at the right time and got a leappad 3 for $29 at target. A staff member prices them wrong lol.

Due to that i dont mind spending a bit extra for apps.

My son is 2 and so far i have purchased heaps of video packs. Its great as he can go in and out of things he wants to watch without ruining anything.

I keep the fun alive by only letting him use it on long car trips or when we go out to dinner etc.

He is too young for the games yet.

I pay between $6 and $10 for 40 to 60mins of footage. Things like pocoyo, rugrats, lazytown etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did end up going with the Ultra XDI. I can't tell you what it's like yet because he won't get it til his birthday in September. I got some game cartridges today from the Target toy sale (online) for $15 ea so that will be 3 games + what is on there to start with. That should keep him going for a while. I almost went for a Samsung Tab 3 tablet for kids for the same price but decided that he can learn how to do this first and by the time he outgrows it Apple might have developed some better parental controls for the ipad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses. I think we might return our leap pad 3 and get a bike instead. We might revisit them next year when he's a bit older.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jobird For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (18-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My children got leappads when they were 3. My daughter got a Leap Pad 2 because that's it was at the time and my son got a leap pad 3. They LOVE them. They use them in different ways as they get older. I think 3 is a good age to get them because they get lots of use out of them. I just got my daughter who will be just over 2 one for Christmas. I think she'll really enjoy it as she enjoys playing with her siblings leap pads.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (21-07-2015)