+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Night time nappies

Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Take him out of the nappies, put a mattress protector on his bed (if you haven't already) and make sure he has easy access to the toilet overnight (lighting etc). My almost 3 year old has been day trained for a few months now and I recently put her in a toddler bed, bought a toilet seat cover with rails for her and keep a night light on. I think keeping them in nappies at night (for too long after getting the day training down pat) gives them a sense of security if they wet themselves; putting them in undies and then having a couple of accidents isn't pleasant, they obviously feel the wet and learn pretty fast. I think it also depends on age of course and the individual child, some need night nappies for longer, but at 4.5 you can explain it to him and just encourage him and use rewards like a sticker chart for each dry morning nappy.
    Good luck, mine is currently back in pull ups overnight after a bit of a set back incident where she accidentally injured herself and ended up in hospital and she regressed a little in her night training. She's been waking overnight and using the toilet for the past fortnight consistently though, so I think after this weeks pack I'll go cold turkey again
    This.

We used this method with both girls when they were just over 2yo. It only took 3-4 nights to night train them. Just check the forecast before you do it as its a lot of washing.

Plus I used to make them help me change the sheets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    This.

We used this method with both girls when they were just over 2yo. It only took 3-4 nights to night train them. Just check the forecast before you do it as its a lot of washing.

Plus I used to make them help me change the sheets.
    Yep, definitely need spare bedding on hand. I was so thankful for my dryer during this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, definitely need spare bedding on hand. I was so thankful for my dryer during this time!
    Oh yea. I had multiple spare sheets and blankets folded and ready to go.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him out of the nappies, put a mattress protector on his bed (if you haven't already) and make sure he has easy access to the toilet overnight (lighting etc). My almost 3 year old has been day trained for a few months now and I recently put her in a toddler bed, bought a toilet seat cover with rails for her and keep a night light on. I think keeping them in nappies at night (for too long after getting the day training down pat) gives them a sense of security if they wet themselves; putting them in undies and then having a couple of accidents isn't pleasant, they obviously feel the wet and learn pretty fast. I think it also depends on age of course and the individual child, some need night nappies for longer, but at 4.5 you can explain it to him and just encourage him and use rewards like a sticker chart for each dry morning nappy.
    Good luck, mine is currently back in pull ups overnight after a bit of a set back incident where she accidentally injured herself and ended up in hospital and she regressed a little in her night training. She's been waking overnight and using the toilet for the past fortnight consistently though, so I think after this weeks pack I'll go cold turkey again
    Question: if you do this do you change the bed at night if they wake up wet? I've been doing that but was thinking that as I change it and she gets a dry bed it might not be motivating her to go to the toilet. ie. do they need to be uncomfortable for a bit???

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Question: if you do this do you change the bed at night if they wake up wet? I've been doing that but was thinking that as I change it and she gets a dry bed it might not be motivating her to go to the toilet. ie. do they need to be uncomfortable for a bit???
    I change it. I don't think its the length of time they are wet, for my DD I think she was waking up from having a full bladder but had not developed the control to hold on. She'd cry out to me as soon as she wet her bed or even attempt to take herself to the toilet but have an accident before reaching it.
    I just put plastic over her mattress and a couple of thick towels over that and then her fitted sheet as usual and had spare bedding and pyjamas at the ready.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Beetlegeuse  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think if a child is trained in the day, it's usually a good indicator that there's no medical/developmental reason that night time training can't commence, that said though, some kids just don't wake when they need to.

Marigold has some great advice, having a nappy on is a bit of a psychological barrier in that they have that little bit of a 'security blanket', so if you can ditch the nappy it's a good start. Another thing I found is once I stopped my DD from going to bed with a drink she would wake with a substantially less wee laden nappy, and that really helped too. It's a bit of work, but a good mattress protector, some spare sheets/towels etc at the ready and being prepared to have some wet sheet changes for a bit and hopefully with all that the penny drops and then dry nights.

Make sure you have a light source on in the toilet and no obstacles once they're in the toilet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Beetlegeuse  (25-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you can train them at night to be honest, I think it's something that just happens naturally, until they are waking up dry every morning id leave them in pull ups. We were lucky with DS we took him out of night nappies at 3.5 after he'd been waking up dry continuously for 2 months, he's not had an accident yet, he's now 5.5.