+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any sahm studying ??

I have two kids a 2.5 year old boy and a newborn little girl . I'm over just being a sahm , don't get me wrong I love my kids but need something for myself . I was thinking of studying but am in my early thirties . Not sure if I should start a course it a degree especially with little kids . Is anyone else doing this and how do u cope ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there!

I'm currently studying cert IV in Community Services and i have a 4 year old & 5 year old.

It's a lot of work but it can be done with some organisation and late nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi . I'm almost 35, a SAHM with a 3yr old, 12 month old and I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I'm also studying nursing and midwifey full time. I have my kids home too (no daycare). I'm loving it. I study externally through CDU. They have an amazing online study model that students all over OZ are able to do. I only do my prac units at the local hospy. I can't recommend it highly enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's amazing mumsical , 2 young kids and doing a degree . In so scared to start a degree in case I won't be able to cope with it . Doing it online is a great idea but how do u find the time to study , so u have help ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No help at all. The great thing about online is that you can watch lectures doing nap time. My older boy is also great at playing by himself. They do watch a bit more TV than I would like but it's a small price to pay. There are heaps of other mums in the same boat as me doing the same degree. The external option attracts people like us I guess . If you find it too much then you can always drop subjects before the census date without penalty (financial or grade). I put it off for years and now I regret it, but I'm so glad I'm doing it now. Just go for it!! What would you like to do?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'm not a sahm but I'm studying part time. I go into uni 2.5 days a week. 2 days ds is with nan, half day at childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a SAHM and I have nearly completed my entire degree externally. I doing a psychology degree through CDU and I have 6 units to go. It has taken me a long time, but I'm so glad I have stuck with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you for sticking through it . How long have u got left until you finish the nursing and midwife course ?
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing believe it or not!!! or I was just thinking of doing a certificate in chijdcare if I think the degree is too much . From what you are saying the online module sounds great . I might look into it. Have u got A supportive pArtner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a 30yo, SAHM to four (8, 7, 5 and 3yo) and am a full time distance Uni student. I am just about to start 2nd semester of my second year, then next year I swap degrees and will be on campus full time, which means for the first time ever I will need to organise childcare for the youngest and before/after school care for the other three, for 2 days a week.

Studying with children around, if you're a distance student, is HARD, but for me it is absolutely worth it. The housework often gets neglected and so my Husband tends to do his share plus mine, and I am often a raging ball of stress, but I can keep on top of my work load okay...or rather, I have mastered the art of writing good essays in a single day

If studying is what you want to do, absolutely go for it, even if you start out part time to see how you go, you can always increase your work load, or decrease it if you start out full time. I was in the same position as you, after being a SAHM for quite a few years, I needed to do something for ME as well as preparing myself for the workforce once my children are all in school. I timed it so when I graduate, my youngest will be going in to full-time school, and I can gain employment and only have to worry about after school care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any sahm studying ??

It's definitely a great degree, if you are passionate about it - the subjects are interesting. My husband is a doctor - so while he is supportive of my study, he works a lot so doesn't really help out around the house or with the kids much. Sometimes he complains about the house being a mess - but it's really only like this when I have assignments due. I also find that I can get away with doing much less than the recommended study time each week and still pull off high marks. I think each person is different though

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (24-06-2015)