+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Perth Public Maternity hospitals

Hi ladies

Does anyone know if I can choose any public maternity hospital I want if I elect to be a private patient, even if the hospital is out of my catchment area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No fairly sure they have gotten pretty strict with maternity services being only your catchment hospital and usually public/private make no difference.

The only difference should be part public/private hospitals like Joondalup/the new midland hospital and I would assume you'd have to be fully private if you were outside the catchment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure - I went private at KEMH for my last baby but that was because I was initially at SJOG Subiaco and had to be transferred to King Eddy at 31 weeks for an emergency c-section.
    I think your best bet would be to ring the particular public hospitals you're interested in and enquire directly.
    I am fairly sure though that the Family Birth Centre at KEMH is open to anyone in the metro area.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perth Public Maternity hospitals

Just went through this process few months ago. The answer is no. They don't care if you want to give them money and be a priv patient. If you are not in the catchment, they don't accept it. I don't know which public u r looking at. With king Eddie, then you can if you are high risk which most ppl won't know until later on. Because if this, I decided to go priv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Just went through this process few months ago. The answer is no. They don't care if you want to give them money and be a priv patient. If you are not in the catchment, they don't accept it. I don't know which public u r looking at. With king Eddie, then you can if you are high risk which most ppl won't know until later on. Because if this, I decided to go priv.
    Thanks ladies! Getting a bit ahead of myself as not yet UTD but im a planner and I like knowing up front 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I am fairly sure though that the Family Birth Centre at KEMH is open to anyone in the metro area.
    That's true and they'll take you from outside metro as long as your happy to drive. We're booked in there for our 3rd and have had both boys there. They will accept you both public and private. Only issue I had was postnatal visits you need to go to them if you live outside the metro area as they won't go this far as a vms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies