+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dropping one bf

Hi,

My lo is nearly 10 months old and I return to work next week. I currently bf 4 times a day and once overnight (good/normal night ) 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6:30pm and 1 or 2am
    Yesterday she was not interested in the feed at 10am at all. Should I take that as a cue and just drop that feed?
    I'd love to only have one feed she needs at daycare as I'm planning to express but find it hard to get enough so that would mean only having to pump enough for one feed rather than two.
    Any tips or experiences on how you moved from 4 to 3 daytime feeds appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dropping one bf

I didn't do night feeds at that age, but you could try refusing to feed at 1/2 am so she is more likely to take the morning feed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! The night feed doesn't bother me actually (it's getting later so I think she'll stop that one soon). She feeds well at 6am. I'm just wanting to consolidate the 10am and 2pm feeds to one feed in the middle of the day. I would just try it and let her let me know if she wants more BUT she's at daycare now so I won't be there :-(
    I guess I'll just move to one midday feed and see how it goes. Just also wondering how it works with lunch timewise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KT8 View Post
    Thanks! The night feed doesn't bother me actually (it's getting later so I think she'll stop that one soon). She feeds well at 6am. I'm just wanting to consolidate the 10am and 2pm feeds to one feed in the middle of the day. I would just try it and let her let me know if she wants more BUT she's at daycare now so I won't be there :-(
    I guess I'll just move to one midday feed and see how it goes. Just also wondering how it works with lunch timewise?
    Just express the one feed for daycare and when at home you can do whatever suits you.

Both girls were demand fed at home but on scheduled feeds at daycare with no problems.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

KT8  (23-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dropping one bf

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just express the one feed for daycare and when at home you can do whatever suits you.

Both girls were demand fed at home but on scheduled feeds at daycare with no problems.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    This. DD has no milk while at daycare, but BF on demand at home. She is 12 months & started doing this at about 8 months. I just express for comfort at work.
    At 10 months she did go down to about 3 feeds a day (6am, 1pm, 6pm most days, sometimes more) so it could be an opportunity for you to consolidate those day feeds if that's what you want.
    I feed DD lunch at about 11am, then she has a BF at about 1pm before she goes to bed for her arvo nap. Sometimes we do vice versa if she has a late morning tea/sleeps in/has a late morning nap.
    Last edited by rosey82; 23-06-2015 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 10 months is when they usually drop that feed, I would replace it with a snack of food and keep the others the same

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

MonkeyMumma  (23-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 11 months and I've just dropped to 2 feeds. I feed at 830am and 730pm.
    I just offer her food she has breakfast, lunch and dinner with 2 snacks in between..
    I checked with the MCHN last week to make sure all that was ok. And it was fine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all! You've put my mind at ease that she'll be ok with the 3 bf a day. She's at daycare 4 days so it's really the main routine on those days.
    Of course this morning she threw me off by having a 2 hour nap (normally a 40min catnapper) so she wanted bf when she woke but that was fine I dropped her off to daycare after that and it was later than normal so she might be fine now til her evening bf will see how she is when I pick her up
    Thanks again, as a ftm it's so reassuring to read how others have done things!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I think 10 months is when they usually drop that feed, I would replace it with a snack of food and keep the others the same
    This^ I dropped feeds by not refusing but not offering it and also by gradually cutting them shorter, time might not be on your side though?

To answer your other question, most child care places will offer babies milk after lunch, if you'd prefer her to have ebm first just ask the staff. I believe "food before 1 is just for fun" so it would be something I would ask them to do.