+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Caesar or Balloon Catheter - what would you do?

I have an elective caesar booked for Thursday this week, I'm fine with that as I really didn't expect my body to be making any moves at all toward labour. I had an internal done today and I'm 90% effaced, 2cm dialated and the cervix is soft. I'm now thinking should I give the balloon catheter a go? I don't know a lot about it but the middie suggested it can be quite effective and if I wanted to try a VBAC she said just go for it!

A. Who has had the balloon as a method of induction (no drop or gel) due to previous caesar.

B. Would you give it a go if you were me?

Middies throw your opinions my way

Thanks
    Reviews

When are you due? Is there a reason you need to be induced/CS this week instead of waiting for labour to start on its own? It sounds like your body is already making steps towards going into labour on its own anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I would ask to speak to an obstetrician at your place of care and not a midwife.

Any reason why you are being induced? When I was having my pre vbac chats the OB said it is very rare that there is a need to induce - even with VBACs.

My OB also said there are very few cases where a VBAC is not an option. So if I were you (which I am not) And there were no major obstacles in my way (which there was) I would try for a natural birth no induction.
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-06-2015 at 19:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We use the balloon catheter a bit. If your body is already starting to do what it should, then hopefully it will keep going. The balloon catheter won't put you into labour. What it is designed to do is open your cervix. Once that happens, your waters are broken and off you go. There is a bit of a grey area when it comes to using syntocinon for a VBAC. Some doctors will use it, some won't. Is there a reason you would be induced? If not and you were wanting to try for a VBAC, your best option is to wait for labour to start naturally. If you have the balloon catheter then an ARM and nothing happens, then your options are would be either the syntocinon (which they may or may not give you), or an emergency caesarean.

If your booked caesarean was simply because you've had a previous c/s and things are changing, then you are a good candidate for a VBAC.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's measuring very big (my twins were 7pd 4 and 8pd 3 at 37+5 haha I bake Giants) and they just said ok how about 38 +1 as we operate thurs and Fridays...

We ideally wanting a June birth date aswell if we could so unfortunately no elective Caesars on Tuesday's (30th June ) the last thurs fri dates are this week to have a June bubba.

I'm cool with a caesar but would be happy to give it a whirl and wouldn't be upset if it didn't work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So if you were induced it would be because you want a June birth? What's the current estimated weight of baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is approx 9 pound, fundal height around 42 weeks (I'm 38 tmw)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they do a scan to predict this weight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I've had a few.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good size! Was your caesarean last time because you had twins? Did you labour at all last time?