+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Was that $13,700 for your friend to go public or private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i was to elect to be a private patient in a public hospital could I choose any public hospital, even if it was out of my catchment area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTinkbug View Post
    Was that $13,700 for your friend to go public or private?
    I think ​it was public. But I'm not actually sure. I'll ask her.

ETA:
    I believe you need to check that your PHI covers that hospital. So no, you can't just go to any hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went as private patient in public hospital. Had couple of hospital admission during pregnancy due various issues and end up with having C section. Same doctor through out pregnancy and saw him at private practice in same public hospital. Only paid co payments, which was 250 for us at that time, everything else was covered by medicare and private health fund. Check whether you have that option available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTinkbug View Post
    Thanks ladies.

Finding it really frustrating that you pay PHI only to be slugged with extra costs, is it really worth it?
    Hmmmm is it worth it? Well we pay about $3k for our PHI. My ob pregnancy management fee is $2800 ($500 back from Medicare on this), my excess is $500 and I expect up to $500 out of pocket gap fees for anaesthetist and paed. So all up about $3300 out of pocket fees to have this baby any day now on top of annual premium.
    For us - well technically we can 'afford' it. The reason we have gone private is because I work in healthcare and I wanted some direction over the type of care I receive, who provides it and a very responsive medical team. In public you do not have these choices - that is the main difference between public and private, choice.
    My private hospital provides free early pregnancy classes, antenatal classes, antenatal breastfeeding classes, lactation consultant immediately post birth, 6 weeks postnatal support (for anything) and 12 weeks of postnatal lactation and parenting drop in sessions. I'm having a c-section and will be in for 5 nights in a guaranteed private room and hubby can stay with me for the duration. This is important to me. Hospital provides all nappies and baby clothes for duration of your stay if you want it (I'll supply my own things though).
    I have been seeing my ob twice a week since 31 weeks due to preeclampsia and I'm getting intensive monitoring. I'm getting extra assistance from anaesthetist due to a previous back injury. I have chosen a really good paed who is always available by mobile phone. I know I can ring my ob 24/7 and they will see me (or send me to the ward) that day if I'm worried about anything.
    So yes it is a lot if money but it can be well worth it! Depends what kind of care you want and what's important to you, which is different for everyone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's not worth it. We can afford it, we used to have phi but got rid of it years ago as it was a waste of money. My husband is a doctor so we know a lot about it. I've had 2 babies publicly and haven't paid a cent. Had great care and can't fault it. There is no way I would be forking out premiums and then getting hit with all the extra costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re: the anaesthetist costs and trying to have no out of pocket expense, I don't know that you can have any control over that.

With my first, I asked for an epidural after 24 hours of labour. It happened to be just after midnight on a Sunday night. My anaesthetist cost (out of pocket) was close to $1000 - this included his service fee as well as a callout fee for it being a ridiculous time!

With my second, I asked for the epidural at 9:15am and had the same anaesthetist, and the out of pocket expense was $300.

We went into it knowing that there WOULD be an out of pocket expense if I wanted an epidural, but the specifics of how much it would be were really out of my control.

As for whether it's worth it, it really is a personal decision. I paid the excess to have my baby in January, and since then we have used our health insurance for bub and I to stay at a Mother Baby Unit and for my toddler to have his adenoids out, with no out of pocket expenses for just the hospital part (still had to pay a surgeon fee and anaesthetist fee for the toddler's surgery) - both of which would have much longer waiting times in the public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumsical View Post
    For me it's not worth it. We can afford it, we used to have phi but got rid of it years ago as it was a waste of money. My husband is a doctor so we know a lot about it. I've had 2 babies publicly and haven't paid a cent. Had great care and can't fault it. There is no way I would be forking out premiums and then getting hit with all the extra costs.
    I agree with this. We have PHI but not pregnancy cover. I wasn't interested in paying an ob thousands of $$ so I can birth a baby. I only think it's worth it if you are high risk for any reason.

I went through the midwifery group practice in the public system so had continuity of care with the same midwife, she did my appointments pre-birth, attended my birth and then 4 weeks of PP care at home too (she would also do 6 weeks of PP care if required for any reason). For me this was far more valuable than having a dr pre-birth (if you are having a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy), who is then uninvolved with you or baby after you leave the hospital (this is when I needed the help tbh). If you end up being high risk during pregnancy (eg pre eclampsia) you will be seen to by obstetricians anyway.

My step sister was high risk and went through the public system. She also had continuity of care through the same public obstetrician for all her pre-natal appointments.

Look into your local hospital and see what they offer, speak with some private obs and hospitals and see how you feel about it all - only really you can answer the question on whether it's worth it or not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (24-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumsical View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyChubbles View Post
    Re: the anaesthetist costs and trying to have no out of pocket expense, I don't know that you can have any control over that.

With my first, I asked for an epidural after 24 hours of labour. It happened to be just after midnight on a Sunday night. My anaesthetist cost (out of pocket) was close to $1000 - this included his service fee as well as a callout fee for it being a ridiculous time!

With my second, I asked for the epidural at 9:15am and had the same anaesthetist, and the out of pocket expense was $300.

We went into it knowing that there WOULD be an out of pocket expense if I wanted an epidural, but the specifics of how much it would be were really out of my control.

As for whether it's worth it, it really is a personal decision. I paid the excess to have my baby in January, and since then we have used our health insurance for bub and I to stay at a Mother Baby Unit and for my toddler to have his adenoids out, with no out of pocket expenses for just the hospital part (still had to pay a surgeon fee and anaesthetist fee for the toddler's surgery) - both of which would have much longer waiting times in the public system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I agree with this. We have PHI but not pregnancy cover. I wasn't interested in paying an ob thousands of $$ so I can birth a baby. I only think it's worth it if you are high risk for any reason.

I went through the midwifery group practice in the public system so had continuity of care with the same midwife, she did my appointments pre-birth, attended my birth and then 4 weeks of PP care at home too (she would also do 6 weeks of PP care if required for any reason). For me this was far more valuable than having a dr pre-birth (if you are having a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy), who is then uninvolved with you or baby after you leave the hospital (this is when I needed the help tbh). If you end up being high risk during pregnancy (eg pre eclampsia) you will be seen to by obstetricians anyway.

My step sister was high risk and went through the public system. She also had continuity of care through the same public obstetrician for all her pre-natal appointments.

Look into your local hospital and see what they offer, speak with some private obs and hospitals and see how you feel about it all - only really you can answer the question on whether it's worth it or not.
    Thanks ladies.

I am so glad i am getting differing opinions. I am leaning towards public as i think i would rather midwife led care as opposed to OB. We have a new public hospital opening up near us soon, so I will definitely check it out. Does going through the midwifery group cost if going public?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't recommend Midwife groups enough - if you have the chance to use them go for it. They won't cost you a cent no matter what happens - c-section, epidural, natural, everything is free. It's a great service.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (24-06-2015)