+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses - I'll try and respond to some of the questions here -

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear you are going thru this. I completely understand as both my kids hit the 8mth sleep regression hard but my eldest was flipping horrid with her 40min wake ups.

It DOES pass!!!

Would bed sharing work for you? That's how I got thru it. I slept thru as bub could attach herself when she wanted a feed. I went from broken sleep to 4-5hr blocks.

Really sorry you are going thru this. It truly does suck. But on the upside. My god awful sleeping baby became the best toddler and pre schooler when it came to sleep.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    I would consider bed-sharing however DS will no longer sleep in our bed - it's ear pulling, slapping our faces, blowing raspberries, crawling everywhere etc. 2 nights ago we chucked him in with us and it STILL took over 2 hours for him to go to sleep because he was playing. Grrr! The thing is too I need to night-wean him and I don't have a lot of time to do it due to medical reasons, so sleeping in bed with us might also just make his sleeping worse if I refuse him? Not sure on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    If I were in your shoes Id still give sleep school a go. You don't have much to lose but imagine if it does work?

If it doesn't then I'd def look into bed sharing to get you through this phase.
    Thanks yes I think I might have to do it anyway regardless. The CHN's have said it probably wouldn't work but I think I need to book in regardless - at the very least I might get some new tips.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    What about paying a sleep consultant to give personalised advice? I think if you're going to go down the CC route it is good to have someone telling you exactly how to do it. I've been looking at the baby sleep site, they do email packages, haven't used them, but have been thinking about it.
    My 9 month old self settles, naps well during the day and is still waking loads overnight too. It took probably a month for us to get comfortable co-sleeping, but now I hardly wake up to feed him, and I think he is having longer stretches. But it sounds like it would be best if you weren't feeding overnight, so that's probably not going to work for you.
    Edit: I did CC with my DS1 at about this age, because I wasn't coping with the sleep deprivation, he slept through from then and it was amazing, he is still an amazing sleeper- so no judgement here if that's what you need to do.
    Thank you - CC just feels so wrong and he was just not responding to it last night I just don't know what else to do anymore. I'll need to look into consultants and prices - not sure of any around here but I haven't thought of this either.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you feed to sleep stop. Have at least 20 mins active play before bed.

Is bub having at least 3 meals per day with 1/3 protein?

Slowly wean back on the night feeds if you are now comfortable stopping cold turkey. Wait a few extra minutes each night before feeding. Make the feeds a few minutes shorter each night.

What is the temp in bubs room at bedtime and then through the night? What bedding is bub in?

Wait at least a week before giving up on any new routine.
    Temp is around 20-21C. He is in a sleeping bag, 2 blankets over the top and has a heater on. It gets really cold in our house but this combo seems to have worked and stopped him waking from the cold at least.

He always has protein lunch and dinner and about half the time breakfast too - I am super conscious of him having a full tummy.

I haven't bf to sleep for ages - he doesn't during the day and night time it's dinner, bath, feed, book, lots of cuddles and then bed. I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    OP, our boys sound very similar.

My DS is also 9.5 months. Easy to settle, after 10 pm the night waking starts..He also thinks its playtime when he wakes and is getting worse. Bringing him into our bed no longer works, it used to but now he tries to climb out, yanks at our faces, claps hands, wants to play...

What's your DS day routine like? My DS will have 3 x 30 min naps on a really good day, but it takes me a long time to get him down and he only ever breastfeeds to sleep.

I really feel for you. I'm not going back to work so I'm lucky in that sense and with your health problems too, it must be very stressful. It's hard enough without extra stresses dealing with this.

Probably not much help but...

I think the idea of a private MCHN is good, any options in your area?

We have a cheap fan in his bedroom. It drowns out the noises from my other children during the day and DH thinks if we leave it on in his room all night he will sleep better. I don't because I'm totally paranoid about leaving it on all night and also I feel like it will make his room colder but after last night I might try it.

Also, leaving something that smells of you in his cot could help him to stay asleep? It doesn't work for us but you never know

And lastly, how about you try him on formula now? I breastfeed DS exclusively but have often wondered if given formula he will sleep more soundly through the night. I know this might be controversial but if you will be weaning him anyway then maybe you could start night weaning now?

Good luck, rest when you can and if you have anything you've tried let me know?? Because I'm also following this for ideas...
    Day routine is pretty good - up, bf, breakfast, play. He goes down by around 10.30, then up for lunch, play etc, down around 2.30. Awake times are 3 hours from waking, he sleeps from 1-2 hours. The morning wake up times have been a bit lax - I am so tired that I won't get up (or even wake up myself) until he wakes, sometimes that isn't until 9ish but of course this throws our days out a bit... He was getting up by 7.30 (bed is at 7pm) but since his crappy sleeping has kicked in I guess he's needing more so is sleeping longer. Perhaps this is something I really need to focus on again.....

He has night time comforters that I put down my top or put breast milk on but maybe the bm smell isn't helping? I have tried formula - he doesn't like it but I might just need to persist with it a bit. He will drink a bit but he's not a lover. I think mixing with breastmilk may help. Thing is I don't want to get up to him anymore at night more than once, and definitely don't want to be making bottles at night either. He really doesn't need the night feeds.

I'm not sure about a private consultants I'll need to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Oh Luv, you must be exhausted!!!

My DD who'll be 10 months on the 28th is a huge wetter overnight. She's fully FF and thankfully sleeps through except to wake for a nappy change. Anyhoo, I did some research and there are these inserts that you put in the nappies (I use disposables) called "Bebe's Nappy Mates" or "Celflo Petites Booster Pads" tto soak up the majority of the urine.

They're basically the same thing as adult incontinence products, so I went out yesterday and bought a pack of "Poise Extra Plus pads" (tried to get the "overnighters" as they are the most absorbent, but none in stock, so get the next best) and put one in her nappy (which I'd gone up to the next size as well hoping that would make a difference, but it didn't) last night when I put her to bed and it solved the problem!!

The pad had soaked up all of the urine and she had a dry nappy underneath, but obviously the best thing is she didn't wake up (except to stir for her dummy or cuddly material rabbit she goes to bed with). So that might be an idea to try??

As for the BF/FF, can you say, make up a 180ml bottle for eg with 60mls formula and the rest BM and as he gets used to it start decreasing the BM and increasing the formula until he takes it all as formula??

Be back soon to post about the sleeping...DD cracking up in the background!!

Hope this has been of some help to you
    Thanks for the pad idea I will get onto that! Last night he didn't wet himself (yay!) but I cut waaaay back on how much milk he had which helped enormously. I think mixing formula in with his breastmilk will probably help him take it so will try that too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can he hold a bottle himself OP?

Could you encourage him to "feed" himself to sleep?

We did this with DSS at about 10 months. We would go in when he would cry, shush and pat, and give him the bottle. Sometimes he would play with it, so we would hold it and he'd go to sleep. He never drank all of it (he wasn't actually hungry), so we left the bottle in the cot with him (it was water). If he woke again, same thing.
    Eventually (3ish weeks) we put him down with a bottle and he knew to drink and go to sleep himself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hey @Pearlygirl, what a frustrating situation!

Firstly you said you tried controlled crying, was the first time you tried for a night waking? If so I wouldn't give up on it as a method if you're comfortable with using that method.

I would personally use controlled crying to get him to sleep at the start of the night. You sound like you have a good routine going, so keep up with that and try CC.

What intervals did you wait before going in each time? What did you do when you went back to him?

Another thing you mentioned was his up time for the morning. I would also try consistently waking him at the same time (7 should work given what you have said). Try and be consistent with the time of day he wakes and naps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yes, DP and I aren't advocates of CC/CIO at all but each to their own.

Anyhoo..this is what I do with DD and have done since I introduced a "going to bed routine" when she was 4 months old. I have a small CD player/night light set up in our room(she's still in with us until 12 months as the SIDS/Kidsafe recommendation is 6-12months).

So, when she's ready for bed after her final bottle for the night (which she has an hour after her dinner), DP/I take her into the room where I've already turned the night light onto the "soft white setting". I change her nappy (she's already in her onesie by now), turn on the music, hit the "nghttime" button on the nightlight (which starts a rainbow of different colours going), kisses and cuddles, put into her cot, dummy in mouth (which she only has for sleep), pink rabbit comforter "cuddly" that I got from Kmart in her hands (again, only for sleep), tuck her in and say "night-night darling, see you in the morning" as he/I go out the door.

Now, before we ever got to this stage, I used to do all of the above but then sit next to her (had her on her side in her cot as above) "patting and shushing" her while the music and lights went (I omitted the nightlight for her day sleeps). She would sometimes grizzle for a bit, then go to sleep and that's when I'd leave the room.

It gradually got to the point where I'd "pat and shoosh" until she was almost asleep, then leave the room. One day she didn't want me to "pat and shoosh" her anymore, just wanted to be left to it like she is now, so that's what we do.

Can't post a link of our nightlight, but it's an Aloka Sleepy Lights Fairy LED Nightlight (there are heaps of different designs). We play a Lullaby/ABC songs CD to her and she also likes Enya. Doesn't matter as long as its quiet, soothing music of some description.

Obviously in the early stages and even occasionally now, it didn't always work for either day/night naps (now it's only occasionally in the day), so when that would happen, I'd leave the room to give her an opportunity to settle herself. If she was just grizzling, that was ok, I'd leave her for a little bit longer, but as soon as she cried, it was straight in there to resettle her and try again.

Usually she'd go straight to sleep on those occasions, sometimes I had to do it twice then she'd go to sleep. Once you work out a routine and get him onto FF fulltime if that's what you're wanting to do, you'll just have to persist maybe for a week or 2 with it all. If after that you were still having issues, I'd call in the big guns with a "no cry" sleep consultant for help (or you could look into that now).
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 22-06-2015 at 11:11.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A-Squared that's the first time I've tried CC. I'm really not a fan DS got so distressed

I was going in at 1, 2 minute then 3 minute intervals. I kept it at 3 minutes for a while, then upped it to 4, then 5. He would just cry and cry, the longer I left him the worse it got, I couldn't make myself allow him to go longer than 5 minutes and I only did that twice. Then I caved and fed him. I would go in, tuck him back in, rub his tummy, shhhh him until he calmed down. As soon as I stepped out of his room he would start wailing all over again. It was so distressing for me and him and I spent most of that time in tears. He did settle down at one time for about 20 minutes but he heard me go back to bed and it started all over again.

In the past I've tried soft music (classical) and baby bedtime music (going all night), I have a night light - on or off doesn't seem to make much difference. Cuddles and/or patting/shhing also doesn't seem to work. All his wants is bf. Getting DH to do it is also not great as most of that time he will cry and cry until I can't take it anymore and I go in - he is a real mummy/velcro baby at the moment. I've given him water when he wakes but this also doesn't seem to work. I can get him to go back to sleep without bf but he won't stay asleep longer than 1-1.5 hours - if I do bf he can go 3-4 hours between wakings - this is why I end up just feeding

I've seen some of those night lights around though so maybe that would make a difference. I've stuck glowing stars to his ceiling so he has something to look at to no avail.

I think this is why the CHN's are stumped - they've ended up telling me that I seem to just have a baby that wakes and I'll probably need to just wait it out.

What I don't know how to handle though is that I am being forced to night wean so I can take my medication and I don't know how else to settle him so he stays asleep.

Sorry I sound like a broken record but over the past 3 months I have literally tried everything outside of CIO. I am so frustrated and DH is exhausted too.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I'll try and make some more changes and see how we go.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    So BF might be a comfort/habit thing for him where's he's comfort feeding?? Hmmm..this is beyond my experience as DD's been FF since 6 weeks (supply issues).

Hopefully one of the experienced BF'ng Mum's who've been through this can advise what worked for them??

Do you think calling the ABA for advice might help??
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 22-06-2015 at 12:06.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Separation anxiety starts at this age. Your mchn is right. Some kids just wake up no matter what you do.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (22-06-2015),Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    So BF might be a comfort/habit thing for him where's he's comfort feeding?? Hmmm..this is beyond my experience as DD's been FF since 6 weeks (supply issues).

Hopefully one of the experienced BF'ng Mum's who've been through this can advise what worked for them??

Do you think calling the ABA for advice might help??
    Yep its def a comfort thing - he doesn't need it nutritionally and he isn't hungry (he eats a lot of solids plus bf during the day).

I'll call the ABA today - was thinking that in my 3am haze last night.

@R&A I do think separation anxiety has a lot to do with it but I'm not sure how to handle this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post

@R&A I do think separation anxiety has a lot to do with it but I'm not sure how to handle this.
    My DD has terrible seperation anxiety I have found sitting in her room in the corner ssshhhing and patting my leg untill she is asleep works well. Once she is asleep I stop patting my and continue ssshhhing for a couple of minutes.

The separation anxiety is really really difficult to deal with at times. At times she follows her dad around on those days I encourage DF to take her out if he's going to the shop or something on his own etc.
    Im hoping she gets better as she gets older.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Will he suck on anything else?

My little brother had a piece of pillowcase he used to chew and suck on.