+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help me settle 9.5 mo

I have posted about this before but I haven't had a lot of responses in the past.

I really need some helpful non-judgemental advice on how to get my DS to sleep better at night.

DS has never slept through the night except for about 3x. He constantly wakes anywhere from around 10pm - 7am every 1-3 hours, every night. I can get him down easily enough at the start of the night but when it's time for me to go to bed this is where it starts. This started at around 6 months and it's getting worse and worse. Before this he would wake up twice overnight and was fairly easy to resettle.

Now he WILL NOT go back to sleep without a breastfeed. He needs so much feeding that he is constantly wetting through his nappies and then requires changing which exacerbates his wakefulness. I've tried a whole lot of different brands but none of them have worked.

Tonight I tried controlled-crying after his third wake-up which I never wanted to do, and after 1.5 hours he was still crying and we had got literally nowhere. I bf him again and he has gone straight to sleep. Our trick of putting him in bed with us now no longer works - he sees it as playtime and mucks around and still refuses to go to sleep.

I am sitting up in tears at 3am because I can no longer do this every night. I am sick and need to start long-term medication soon which will mean at the very least night-weaning DS or completely weaning him onto formula for all feeds. I have no idea what to do.

I am at my wits end and the constant exhaustion is wearing me down. On top of this I am starting back at work in a weeks time.

He is warm (not hot), he is not hungry, he is happy and sleeps during the day just fine. He has a good day routine. It's night time that I just can't seem to fix.

Please help
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 22-06-2015 at 03:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Huge hugs. Is sleep school an option?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Huge hugs. Is sleep school an option?
    The CHN has offered sleep school but she has also said it probably won't be much help because I am already doing all the "right" things. She also said the day sleep service probably can't offer me anything that I haven't already done or am doing. I've seen multiple CHN's and they don't have any advice for me as I am doing all the things already that they would advise. I don't really know whether it's worth my time, they don't seem to think so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm really sorry to hear you are going thru this. I completely understand as both my kids hit the 8mth sleep regression hard but my eldest was flipping horrid with her 40min wake ups.

It DOES pass!!!

Would bed sharing work for you? That's how I got thru it. I slept thru as bub could attach herself when she wanted a feed. I went from broken sleep to 4-5hr blocks.

Really sorry you are going thru this. It truly does suck. But on the upside. My god awful sleeping baby became the best toddler and pre schooler when it came to sleep.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I were in your shoes Id still give sleep school a go. You don't have much to lose but imagine if it does work?

If it doesn't then I'd def look into bed sharing to get you through this phase.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help me settle 9.5 mo

What about paying a sleep consultant to give personalised advice? I think if you're going to go down the CC route it is good to have someone telling you exactly how to do it. I've been looking at the baby sleep site, they do email packages, haven't used them, but have been thinking about it.
    My 9 month old self settles, naps well during the day and is still waking loads overnight too. It took probably a month for us to get comfortable co-sleeping, but now I hardly wake up to feed him, and I think he is having longer stretches. But it sounds like it would be best if you weren't feeding overnight, so that's probably not going to work for you.
    Edit: I did CC with my DS1 at about this age, because I wasn't coping with the sleep deprivation, he slept through from then and it was amazing, he is still an amazing sleeper- so no judgement here if that's what you need to do.
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 22-06-2015 at 07:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you feed to sleep stop. Have at least 20 mins active play before bed.

Is bub having at least 3 meals per day with 1/3 protein?

Slowly wean back on the night feeds if you are now comfortable stopping cold turkey. Wait a few extra minutes each night before feeding. Make the feeds a few minutes shorter each night.

What is the temp in bubs room at bedtime and then through the night? What bedding is bub in?

Wait at least a week before giving up on any new routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I have posted about this before but I haven't had a lot of responses in the past.

I really need some helpful non-judgemental advice on how to get my DS to sleep better at night.

DS has never slept through the night except for about 3x. He constantly wakes anywhere from around 10pm - 7am every 1-3 hours, every night. I can get him down easily enough at the start of the night but when it's time for me to go to bed this is where it starts. This started at around 6 months and it's getting worse and worse. Before this he would wake up twice overnight and was fairly easy to resettle.

Now he WILL NOT go back to sleep without a breastfeed. He needs so much feeding that he is constantly wetting through his nappies and then requires changing which exacerbates his wakefulness. I've tried a whole lot of different brands but none of them have worked.

Tonight I tried controlled-crying after his third wake-up which I never wanted to do, and after 1.5 hours he was still crying and we had got literally nowhere. I bf him again and he has gone straight to sleep. Our trick of putting him in bed with us now no longer works - he sees it as playtime and mucks around and still refuses to go to sleep.

I am sitting up in tears at 3am because I can no longer do this every night. I am sick and need to start long-term medication soon which will mean at the very least night-weaning DS or completely weaning him onto formula for all feeds. I have no idea what to do.

I am at my wits end and the constant exhaustion is wearing me down. On top of this I am starting back at work in a weeks time.

He is warm (not hot), he is not hungry, he is happy and sleeps during the day just fine. He has a good day routine. It's night time that I just can't seem to fix.

Please help
    OP, our boys sound very similar.

My DS is also 9.5 months. Easy to settle, after 10 pm the night waking starts..He also thinks its playtime when he wakes and is getting worse. Bringing him into our bed no longer works, it used to but now he tries to climb out, yanks at our faces, claps hands, wants to play...

What's your DS day routine like? My DS will have 3 x 30 min naps on a really good day, but it takes me a long time to get him down and he only ever breastfeeds to sleep.

I really feel for you. I'm not going back to work so I'm lucky in that sense and with your health problems too, it must be very stressful. It's hard enough without extra stresses dealing with this.

Probably not much help but...

I think the idea of a private MCHN is good, any options in your area?

We have a cheap fan in his bedroom. It drowns out the noises from my other children during the day and DH thinks if we leave it on in his room all night he will sleep better. I don't because I'm totally paranoid about leaving it on all night and also I feel like it will make his room colder but after last night I might try it.

Also, leaving something that smells of you in his cot could help him to stay asleep? It doesn't work for us but you never know

And lastly, how about you try him on formula now? I breastfeed DS exclusively but have often wondered if given formula he will sleep more soundly through the night. I know this might be controversial but if you will be weaning him anyway then maybe you could start night weaning now?

Good luck, rest when you can and if you have anything you've tried let me know?? Because I'm also following this for ideas...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD is 10 months old and has been the worst sleeper ever! Until the last couple of days..

I have tried everything except CIO and CC. My latest solution has been;

1. Moving DD in to her own room and having it pretty bare, its her cot, a chest of drawers with nothing sitting on the top and a small table she can't see with the monitor, a little cd player and a rocking chair in the corner
    2. Classical music plays the whole time she is asleep, sent to us from a lovely hubber.
    3. I sit in the rocking chair untill she is asleep.

DD is formula fed and has been since day 2 and has 3 meals plus 2 small snacks a day. She varies between 3 and 4 bottles a day more often than not she has 4.

Last night we had 1 wake up at 330 I think she was a bit cold so popped another blanket on her and gave her, her dummy.
    As opposed to the last couple of weeks 5+ wake ups

Sleep deprivation is the absolute worst!! I really feel for you ladies!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Oh Luv, you must be exhausted!!!

My DD who'll be 10 months on the 28th is a huge wetter overnight. She's fully FF and thankfully sleeps through except to wake for a nappy change. Anyhoo, I did some research and there are these inserts that you put in the nappies (I use disposables) called "Bebe's Nappy Mates" or "Celflo Petites Booster Pads"to soak up the majority of the urine.

They're basically the same thing as adult incontinence products, so I went out yesterday and bought a pack of "Poise Extra Plus pads" (tried to get the "overnighters" as they are the most absorbent, but none in stock, so got the next best) and put one in her nappy (which I'd gone up to the next size as well hoping that would make a difference, but it didn't) last night when I put her to bed and it solved the problem!!

The pad had soaked up all of the urine and she had a dry nappy underneath, but obviously the best thing is she didn't wake up (except to stir for her dummy or cuddly material rabbit she goes to bed with). So that might be an idea to try??

As for the BF/FF, can you say, make up a 180ml bottle for eg with 60mls formula and the rest BM and as he gets used to it start decreasing the BM and increasing the formula until he takes it all as formula??

Be back soon to post about the sleeping...DD cracking up in the background!!

Hope this has been of some help to you
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 22-06-2015 at 14:09.