+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old sleep. Please give advice!

Ok, my baby is 6 months this week and I'm trying to teach self settling the nicest way possible. For background, this is our 5th baby, during the week I have 2 children at school, 1 teen doing distance ed at home and a 2 year old at home with me too. Our house is small. 2 kids in each room and baby in cot in our room.
    I have been thinking since baby was 3 months old that i need to start putting him down to self settle and then at 4 months but I get busy and before I know it I've rocked him, carried him, cuddled or fed him to sleep most of the time. I am really busy just keeping on to the housework daily. I can however commit to staying home all week with just going for walks to park etc.
    My baby this week turns six months, last few weeks was really really sick with chicken pox and was held literally 24/7. I'm desperate to get into a routine of some sort so that I know I can get him to sleep for my sanity. I tried one day last week self settling and I got him to self settle within 15 mins each time. Just by patting or sitting in room, or popping in and out and reassuring him. But then the next day when I tried this he wouldn't stop crying with patting, shushing or singing. And he was getting really worked up so I didn't feel right as I couldn't get him to stop crying. So I picked him up and rocked him.
    Now I need all the advice I can get. Where do I go from here...is this the point where I have 2 choices? Controlled crying or carry and rock him to sleep. Is there anything in between?
    Also he doesn't sleep long stretches at all, upto 40 mins maximum. Please throw all you advice my way ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you willing to let baby cry a little? I hope I don't get judged. The Ferber method worked wonders with my little one, within three days he started self settling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a book called the no cry sleep solution. It's a little bit in between cry it out and rocking to sleep. You work on teaching baby to self settle by gently transitioning from rocking to sleep to rocking until drowsy or almost asleep and then falling asleep in bed... And so on. It takes patience and consistency. Unlike leaving baby to cry it out, it can take several weeks to see an improvement. It worked for us but I don't have 4 other children running around so I can only imagine! Other things that worked for us is using white noise and having a clear and consistent pre-sleep routine (sleeping bag, white noise, bunny, snuggles in rocking chair, sleepy song, in bed, lights out) every time you put baby to sleep. These become sleep associations so they know when we do A B and C it's time to sleep.

That's all I've got - good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both. He has been doing so well at self settling this week. I'm hoping this will continue and improve to more than naps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejoypeace View Post
    Thank you both. He has been doing so well at self settling this week. I'm hoping this will continue and improve to more than naps!
    What did you do differently? Anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been trying to be conscious to pop him down when he is happy, before any grizzling tired signs start. I am trying to watch the clock and follow a 2 hour up routine. But when he gets too worked up and won't settle, after about 15 mins of trying (sometimes I hum or sing softly as I tidy my room up, making bed, folding clothes etc just so he can see me) I just get him up and try again later or accept that it won't work this sleep and nurse him that time or pop him in the carrier. The majority of times he has self settled I just have to catch the pocket of time that he is ready for sleep. Although we had a shocking night last night and he was awake for 3 hours! We changed his nappy, fed him, rocked, laid next to ...tried everything but he wouldn't settle and in the end I had tried everything, I had to put him in the cot next to me in his love to dream swaddle and just lay there reassuring him until he cried to sleep. I popped my hand through and held his hand in the swaddle so he could feel me there but it made little difference. All our other children have slept even if it was with us for some of them, they at least didn't keep the household awake. I am hoping that since he is just 6 months old tomorrow we can expand on the quality of his length of sleep if he is self settling.