+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning 22 month old from breastfeeding....how do I do it?!

DD is 22 months old. She's BF, never had bottle or dummy, she didn't want them the times I tried when I needed a break. I've been happy to feed her for so long, she loves it and its her comfort.

But I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and BF has become extremely painful. Also I have no desire to tandem feed. I feel it'll be too much for me if they are both waking in the night for it.

DD is fed to sleep for all sleeps except her nap at daycare 3 days a week. She also often wakes during the night and needs a feed to resettle.

She's very clingy to me and often wants carrying around everywhere. She often cries when I try to walk off to do something and doesn't want her dad instead. It's draining. I can't have this when the new baby comes. Plus my DS will be only 5 years old then so he needs my attention lots too!!

So, I'm thinking of night weaning her first. Then when night wakings have improved, then stop feeding her to sleep at bedtime and nap time. Then that's the main issues sorted. Daytime awake feeds are not really an issue, they might stop when the night time feeding does. So thought I'd leave them until last.

What do you think about the plan? I want it to be gradual and gentle, I feel mean enough even forcing this on her as she's going to be so upset. :-(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did it gradual, quite similar to your plan. For the lead up I would talk to her constantly saying mummy's milk would be all gone soon Etc.

I started off feeding her and saying you can have a little bit, and I'd feed, then when she was drowsy i'd pull her off and say no more otherwise it's all gone, you can have some at breakfast. She carried on a fair bit, but after awhile would sleep. When she woke in the night I said she could have some at breakfast time, have some water instead.

I use to demand feed anytime she felt like it, so I stopped doing that and said after her breakfast feed that she could have a lunch feed next, and would only let her suckle for a little bit, then say that's it.

I can't remember how long i let this go on, but eventually it just dwindled, my supply slowly dried up then one of her breakfast feeds she said there was no milk left! She tried again the next day, still nothing and then never asked again!

I was really dreading it, she fed constantly through the night and day (she was nearly 3 when I weaned), asked for it all the time, was clingy to only me etc. and she completely changed, it was great. The only thing I recommend when weaning and they are upset, is to swap to something that is achievable, by that I mean don't rock them unless that's what you want to be doing every sleep time etc. I opted for offering a drink of water, and a pat on the back (we co slept) to help calm her..

Hope all this makes sense and good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MZmama For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning 22 month old from breastfeeding....how do I do it?!

I weaned my dd at 24 months, cold turkey.
    She loved her booby, would often have it around 5-6 times a day/night.
    I tried various tactics from 12ish months, cutting down was a failure as she always asked for it, and it just made her upset. I also read after 15 months it is easier to just completely cut them off as they can grasp the concept that they can have it but don't understand why they are denied sometimes.

I honestly thought it would be a nightmare, but at that age they really can comprehend it's gone... Just a matter of riding it out. I talked about it with her so it wasn't a huge shock, there were tears but not much at all To be honest I think I missed it more than her! She asked for about 2 weeks but not for months now.

I wrote a little story at the time about my weaning story if you are interested http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...50#post8097150

Good luck with it all, you've done an amazing job xx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-06-2015 at 20:55.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies! Both really useful. I'll definitely read your story, Little Miss Sunshine!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-06-2015),MZmama  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping to see if anyone else has advice too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like your plan of weaning gradually. I had to wean DS2 cold turkey due to a health issue and we both found it quite traumatic. Weaning DS1 gradually was much easier.

I weaned both straight onto a sippy cup and let them choose it from the shop. We made a big deal out of it and they thought they were so grownup and special. I also found talking to them about why we were weaning helped and I reminded them that they were big boys now when they asked for boob which they both thought was pretty cool Each boy also got a special new toy to cuddle too. They're both still very attached to them.

Good luck with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started weaning dd around 20-22 months. Still feeding now at 2yr1 month but only one feed a day (going to sleep at night).

I started off by stopping middle of the night feeds altogether and offering a water bottle instead (spill proof so would stay in the cot). Often at first I would have to sit next to her and play with her hair until she fell back asleep. Now if she wakes and can't find her water bottle I can go in, give it to her and walk out.

We also introduced a 'sleepy song' (these days by powderfinger of all things?!? Lol). So when I stopped the feed to sleep at nap time she would have a swing in the feeding chair with the sleepy song and then that eventually transitioned to into her cot with the sleepy song. Now she goes down perfect for her nap with her dolly and sleepy song with no fuss.

For the feed to sleep at night, she isn't always feeding to sleep as my milk is drying up so then when she is done she will ask for sleepy song and her cot. I am hoping to drop this soon. I am considering getting one of those pillow pets with the Stars that shine on the roof as a way to convince her it's better to go in her cot without milk as she can have the stars, although I might give it another month or two and hope my milk dries up completely and she just goes in her cot etc as she knows nothing is there

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyMouse84 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. That's all very helpful.

As soon as she's finished her course of antibiotics for ear infection and is 100% well. I'll start with night weaning.

Feeling very determined now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just weaned DS who is 20 months. We started with night weaning using Dr Jay Gordon's method but admittedly did it over a longer time period. DH also had to do all of the resettling as being close to be would distress DS too much and he would automatically try to feed. We used music as a sleepy cue during the day to replace the feed, then I fell pregnant. I've had hyperemesis so my supply dried up very quickly at that point although I kept up one feed a day until a few weeks ago when I reached 12 weeks and it became too painful. For the morning feed we just had to develop a new routine - no cuddles in bed as that lead to him wanting to feed (very sad for me!) and lots of distraction. In just over two weeks he has adjusted better than I thought and we even managed cuddles in bed this morning which was lovely. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used Dr jay Gordons nightweaning plan to wean both girls overnight at 15-16mths. Then stopped cold turkey when they were down to one feed a day by 19mths.

Highly recommended Dr Gordons technique.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.