+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    With an 11 year old who is off to high school next year these sort of things are constantly on my mind. He's such a gentle soul who's idea of risk taking is doing pull overs at gymnastics (he WILL master them one day lol). The idea of him being exposed to the testosterone fueled fights in the playgrounds or the thoughts of him being bullied and beaten to a pulp are forever on my mind. Not to mention the thought of him being exposed to drugs!

DS is the sort of kid who has always befriended the kid that no one else would talk to. He's had some pretty strong bonds with kids who just needed someone to show them some kindness. I absolutely love that we were able to somehow, even if by complete accident, instill these sort of values in him.

The only thing that can make a difference is how we choose to raise our kids. We can never completely shelter them from everything, but we can teach them how to deal with each situation.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @harvs I don't have any answers, or advice. Can only offer empathy as I feel the same

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I despair of the human race too but try to remind myself there's waaayyyy more good people than bad in the world.

I worry about the cost of education when my kids are older and whether there's going to be any jobs left for them.

But the recent attempted abduction from a Perth backyard has really irked me. Really, really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamessmum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think about all of these things but then I just have to focus on what I can control/influence like being sure to educate her about her body, drugs, sex and sexuality and owning it (just 5 minutes ago I had to tell her the name of a new body part - the cl!toris. 😏) . I am also much more inclined to be in my local members ear about various issues or else I just feel helpless to protect her.
    Just focus on what you can do and on preparing him for the world.
    Ugh! Speaking of this, my DD 22 months calls her vagina her bottom she thinks its one in the same as her bottom and I havn't bothered to tell her differently yet, don't know if I should just yet?

But yes sometimes I think did I do the wrong thing bringing someone I love so much into this world that can be full of so much evil but I have to keep reminding myself that not all is bad.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Yep. It was making so anxious and upset that I had to stop watching/reading the news. As they say, ignorance is bliss! I don't care if it's not 'cool' for me to not be across world affairs, its the only way that I can live happily. I will read up on topics that interest me, but I don't want to read/hear/see the stories that break my heart - the utterly senseless and unfair deaths or acts of violence.

I also hold out hope that there is still so much good in the world. There are so many good people, doing good things. And I'm going to do my darnedest to raise my children to also be the good in the world.
    This is me!!! I don't watch/read/discuss with friends/family/clients any world news bomb explosions babies missing nada!! Ignorance is bliss!!!

I am trying to raise my kids with respect/love/compassion and if they see all this crap I am afraid it might have an affect on them so until they are bigger I am going with ignoring the world outside our day to day life!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama of 1 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (19-06-2015),harvs  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some of the things in the news this week have been horrific. The baby who got punched, the 8 year old boy abducted from his own back deck...what is going on in this world?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-06-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can absolutely empathise with all you "young mums'. (I'm not wanting to offend, as I am a grandmother), but I just want to say, I think every generation of parents,/ mothers have shared these thoughts and worries the world over. think about the new mums just after the two world wars, must have been concerned about their children growing up into a post war era. every age has its bad times. my grandmother had not even penicillin or any vaccinations. she lost a sister in a Victorian flu epidemic. I don't want to dismiss what you are thinking, what you are concerned about, it is all real, but it is all a part of life, and that worry wont solve it and extreme worry could just make your children anxious too. hugs, marie.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-06-2015),munchkin275  (19-06-2015),Star Light  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The world has always been this way. Believe it or not, it's less violent now than it used to be, it's just that with the news, tv, smartphones, internet, information is more readily available.

I worry about whether my future kids will be able to find a job (I've been trying to help my 19 y/o SIL find work with no luck for the past 4 months and all I'm trying to find her is a bloody traineeship or something in retail!!!). I worry about whether they will even be able to afford to buy a house. I worry if they will find a partner and if they do, whether they will be worth my kid's time and effort. I worry about bullying. I worry about exposure to pron and what it can do to children's minds as they grow into adulthood since it's so easily obtainable now. I worry I'll make too many mistakes. I worry I won't be a good mum. I worry my social awkwardness and anxiousness will rub off on my kids. I worry if they will make friends at school and what kind they will be. I worry about them getting very sick. I have different worries depending on whether I have a son or daughter. I'm basically worrying and they don't exist yet.

I just hope I raise halfway decent human beings who put up with no sh1t, can show kindness and compassion and can self reflect, be self aware, aware of everything around them and strive to make their world the best place one person can make it.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 19-06-2015 at 13:42.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-06-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I guess it's true that there have always been worries and there has always been violence. And some mums would have worried about their children making it past infancy, or how to put food on the table.

In the last few years it just feels like this planet is hurtling towards destruction - people are so disconnected from each other; we don't help each other out because we don't know who to trust or we fear that people won't trust us; the poverty gap is getting wider; global population is exploding...

I don't allow myself to think too much because it all becomes so overwhelming. But you are all right - the best I can do is to do my best, and caring in the first place is probably half the battle.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whether things are safer now or not is irrelevant to me. I didn't have kids then; I have now. I don't dwell on things but the weight of responsibility is overwhelming if I so.