+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default *trigger warning* Does anyone else ever feel this way?

I was reading tonight about a random man who punched a 16 month old out of the blue in Sydney. It's just the latest of so many things that make me despair for this world, and not just that but for DS having to grow up in this world.

How on earth am I supposed to protect him from car accidents and the ice epidemic and the choices made by our government and global warming and terrorist attacks and spiralling costs of everything and cyberbullying and being groomed by doohickeys and racism?

I just sometimes feel like I never want him to grow up because I don't feel like I can do enough to protect him and teach him how to make good choices.

ETA will leave my phone's 'doohickeys' to lighten the mood of this very depressing OP.
    Last edited by harvs; 18-06-2015 at 20:16.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (18-06-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (18-06-2015),Star Light  (19-06-2015),Wise Enough  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Feeling totally this way and I wish I had the answer. I loose sleep over this kind if stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yes I totally feel like this and I'm sure most parents feel the same. It means you're doing the mum thing right.

I don't want my little boy to face the evils and burdens I've had challenge me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I think we all do at times.
    As your kids get older though (I have an 11year old) the more your forced to let them make choices on their own, then when you see them make good, compassionate choices, you become more at ease that your bringing up a good decent person that will one day have something good to contribute to society.
    It may not sound like much if your child is still little but as time goes on you'll see it really is a very overwhelmingly wonderful feeling!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not exactly the same thing but DS2 went AWOL in a super busy bistro on the weekend for about 15 minutes. We had no idea where he was and DH found him in the carpark which was on the completely opposite side of the bistro. The bistro has a 4 lane road on one side and is a couple of hundred metres from a metro train line. We were out for DS1's birthday with extended family and of the 13 adults there, we still lost him. I have replayed it over and over again with less than favourable endings and every time I do, the weight of responsibility is almost crushing. It made me realise how unbearable it is having 2 pieces of my heart walking around that I don't have 100% control over and that try as I might, I can't lock them in a room and keep them from every single bad thing that happens in life.

I think it's called parenting. And I used to think changing nappies was the worst part......

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (18-06-2015),harvs  (18-06-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (19-06-2015),LittleMarie  (18-06-2015),SuperGranny  (19-06-2015),~Marigold~  (18-06-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think about all of these things but then I just have to focus on what I can control/influence like being sure to educate her about her body, drugs, sex and sexuality and owning it (just 5 minutes ago I had to tell her the name of a new body part - the cl!toris. 😏) . I am also much more inclined to be in my local members ear about various issues or else I just feel helpless to protect her.
    Just focus on what you can do and on preparing him for the world.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. It was making so anxious and upset that I had to stop watching/reading the news. As they say, ignorance is bliss! I don't care if it's not 'cool' for me to not be across world affairs, its the only way that I can live happily. I will read up on topics that interest me, but I don't want to read/hear/see the stories that break my heart - the utterly senseless and unfair deaths or acts of violence.

I also hold out hope that there is still so much good in the world. There are so many good people, doing good things. And I'm going to do my darnedest to raise my children to also be the good in the world.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Well I should have posted this thread a long time ago. I feel a bit better already! Thank you - some good viewpoints and solutions for me to think about.

Moxy I can't even imagine how terrifying that must have been for you. It made by heart rate sky rocket just reading about it. You are so right - DS is a piece of heart. I'd never thought of it that way before.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    These kind of thoughts keep me awake at night

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Life is so scary at the moment. I want my boys to be not afraid of experiencing all that life has to offer but I wish they could stay small forever, then I have more of a chance to keep them safe. Keeps me awake at night thinking.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-06-2015)