+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We swapped our DD to a FDC after 18 months of regular daycare. She never really settled there and felt too overwhelmed. She was also continually sick! She settled straight into FDC and we love it. DS has been going to the same place for about 12 months and they are both so happy. I love the small environment and wouldn't go back to a regular daycare now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on age. Less than 2 years old I would go family day care as it is less overwhelming, not as much sickness, easier for child to bond with carer etc.

Over two years I think day care centre as I believe kids need that social interaction and to be able to self entertain and follow rules etc.

That's just my thoughts anyway...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm another that would never use a FDC for reasons mostly mentioned. I'm uncomfortable with 1 carer, no breaks, visitors to the house and unreliability.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

JoJoD  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't use fdc. For the above reasons. I'd find a more suitable ldc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Daycare centre or family day care?

I would never put an under 3 year old in a centre.
    I love FDC, home environment, one carer who becomes a primary attachment figure, less sickness, individualised, I like the normal daily home routine, feeding pets, checking the mail etc. but I like a home setting for young children.
    Our carer was very reliable, I don't think she ever had a sick day, any visitors to the house have to be registered (there was a sheet up on the wall), she gave plenty of notice for holidays, the registering body made unexpected spot checks which they left a note on in the daily book for us to read.
    I have to say I never thought about the kids being unsupervised if she went to the toilet, I use the toilet and leave my kids un supervised!
    My son is in a preschool program gram in a long day care centre now and I miss FDC!
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 18-06-2015 at 22:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would only use childcare. However it was very important for me to pick a small center with a family feel.

Our center has 6 babies in the babies room. The carers are all excellent and have been at the centre for years.

Love it there

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little boy goes to a wonderful FDC three days a week. I was so lucky to find her, so lucky she had a place for us and our boy is thriving. The educator is fantastic, as are the other children that go there and their families. I think the quality of FDC and centres varies so much, as do children's needs and personalities. I think the best way to go is to visit as many places of both types as you can until you find somewhere that gives you a good gut feeling, ask loads of questions, hope that they have a vacancy for you this century and then see how your little one settles in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds goes to family daycare 4 days a week. She is awesome! But i have known her and her family for years so i have absolute trust in leaving my son with her. It made it alot easier to go back to work knowing who was looking after him. She is very flexible for us and treats the all kids as if they were her own, and her kids are actually really good friends some of the others outside of daycare hours as they have grown up together. I don't think i would be comfortable having him in a big centre now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live near a family day care centre and would never put my child in one and particularly this one. The children are outside rain hail or shine whilst she shuts her doors and windows and leaves them outside to their own devices. She only surfaces outside to yell and scream at the kids. Her own child who is about 4yo bullies the other children. There are no checks and balances like in a day care centre where you have several careers to keep an eyes on what other careers are doing and the children. Her creepy husband comes home throughout the day and "antagonises" the kids (his words not mine).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's the thing I'm very unsure about with FDC. The lack of support/check for the carer.

I know that my admin job can be too much some days and I crumble under the stress. I usually have a big whinge session with my colleagues, a big cry in the toilets or a long walk around the block.
    What do you do when you are the only carer? I'm sure they would have stressful times too.