+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2.4yr daughter - Pre-school / kindergarten concerns/doubts

Hello Everyone,

We recently moved from UK and bought a house in Winston Hills (Sydney).
    We have a 2.4yo daughter and now we are thinking how/when/where should we start looking/applying for her Pre-school / kindergarten. I understand generally kindergarten (Primary school) start from age of 5yrs here in Syd
    (NSW) and Pre-school is offered to three- to five-year-olds. So based on these timeline, should we start looking/applying for her Pre-school / kindergarten now? Any tips? What fees should we expect (roughly)?

We are thinking to use this site for our search :
    http://www.careforkids.com.au/search...ype=pre-school

Sorry for my silly questions, we never been though this process and do not have any close friends or family here in AU to assist us or provide us info so heavily rely on online resources. So really appreciate your details comments/inputs or tips if any. Thanks a lot in advance

Lisa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would start looking now as the waiting list ans enrolment process is different for each preschool.

Cost can vary. The main cost factors are usually if it's a privately owned centre compared to a community based one and whether or not the preschool has received government grants that they oass on to the families to decrease fees.
    Our preschool is community based and the fees are based on a tiered system, where the minimum is $14 a day and the maximum is some where around $30 a day.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm not in NSW but I understand vacancies are in high demand, so yes, I would start looking now.

Some things to consider:
    - what is included for the fee (ie all or some meals/nappies etc)
    - staff to child ratio
    - educational 'philosophy'
    - policies around payment for absenteeism etc

I guess the first step would be working out where there are vacancies. Someone correct me if I haven't got this quite right, but in Australia some childcares prioritise vacancies for different reasons or children with two working parents will get priority over children with a parent at home. This affects rebates as well.

Welcome to Australia :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Any recommendations for Pre-school / kindergarten in Winston Hills (2153) area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a distinction between preschool and daycare/long day care. Preschool hours are generally 9.00 am - 3.00pm while daycare is longer hours and in higher demand because of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 3.5 and does pre-school at his long daycare. I can't work when the hours are 9-3.