+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know... it seems like a reasonable precaution.

But it also seems like the dad was just trying to "hold something over" the mother.

I think the fact that anyone can ban a mother from breastfeeding is a bit scary.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Make no mistake, this is not about what is the best interest of a baby, it's about 2 men controlling a woman's body and the father using the baby to control the mother's actions.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-06-2015),DT75  (19-06-2015),hopeful1986  (19-06-2015),Lilahh  (19-06-2015),Moxy  (19-06-2015),Once Upon a Time  (18-06-2015),PomPoms  (18-06-2015),sajimum  (18-06-2015),SuperGranny  (19-06-2015),TreeGirl  (18-06-2015),VicPark  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Ban is a strong word - but personally I think that women who are illicit drug users should be banned from breastfeeding. Yes it's strongly recommended to them not to, but without a court order removing the child from there care there is nothing you can do.

Thankfully women who are on medication that is contraindicated with breastfeeding are usually sensible enough to follow the recommended medical advice.

Personally I wouldn't get a tattoo whilst breastfeeding for no other reason that it just wouldn't seem right for me. However I have full faith in the ABA's advice which does not recommend against getting tattoos (from a safe regulated tattoo parlour) whilst breastfeeding, as well as the numerous other studies that prove minimal or no risk and would not think wrong of someone who chose to get a tattoo whilst breastfeeding.

I also agree that this specific case seems to be more about parenting disputes and an ugly court battle than the actual "dangers" of getting a tattoo and breastfeeding.
    Fair enough, I agree with that too. But more with taking the kid into care, rather than a ban on breastfeeding. It just feels like yet another way it's not accepted IYKWIM.

I wouldn't either. But really, I'm sure she researched the place first. If the court had found that particular tattoo parlour inadequate in any way, sure. No mention of that though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I waited until I had finished bfing before getting another tattoo (it was for my ds) and I actually noticed in the parlor and on their paperwork were notations that you had to include confirmation if you were pregnant or breastfeeding. If you were they were not able to tattoo you due to insurance reasons. This I have found to be the case at most parlors.

In this instance I think the ruling is wrong. It is up to the mother to make this risk assessment not two men trying to exert their authority.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The judge's consideration is purely the welfare of the child by law. From the SMH

Judge Myers said he weighed up the benefits of breastfeeding for an 11-month-old infant against the life-long harm caused to a child who contracted HIV.
    "It is the view of the court that it is not in the best interests of the child that the mother continue to breastfeed the child, and in those circumstances the court will make the order sought by the father, that is, that the mother be prevented from breastfeeding the child," he said.
    He also said it was "disappointing" that the mother had smoked cannabis on May 22 while she was breastfeeding.
    Both parents provided the court with clean drug screens. Judge Myers also ordered both the mother and father to abstain from using illicit drugs in the 48 hours prior to or during the care of their son.
    He also ordered them not to "partake in any criminal activity" while the boy is with them.
    Further, he ordered the mother to live with the child's maternal great grandmother and the father to live with the child's paternal grandmother to ensure there is a "responsible adult" around the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I came in here to say exactly what @Busy-Bee said. *insert clap emoticon*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Threekids View Post
    The judge's consideration is purely the welfare of the child by law. From the SMH

Judge Myers said he weighed up the benefits of breastfeeding for an 11-month-old infant against the life-long harm caused to a child who contracted HIV.
    "It is the view of the court that it is not in the best interests of the child that the mother continue to breastfeed the child, and in those circumstances the court will make the order sought by the father, that is, that the mother be prevented from breastfeeding the child," he said.
    He also said it was "disappointing" that the mother had smoked cannabis on May 22 while she was breastfeeding.
    Both parents provided the court with clean drug screens. Judge Myers also ordered both the mother and father to abstain from using illicit drugs in the 48 hours prior to or during the care of their son.
    He also ordered them not to "partake in any criminal activity" while the boy is with them.
    Further, he ordered the mother to live with the child's maternal great grandmother and the father to live with the child's paternal grandmother to ensure there is a "responsible adult" around the child.
    Being ordered to abstain from drug use or criminal activity makes me suspect this couple may have a dodgy/criminal history.

I suspect there's more going on here than just the breastfeeding issue.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-06-2015),BettyW  (19-06-2015),VicPark  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmm @Threekids, that certainly changes things.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess this only applies to a new tattoo while breastfeeding?? as in both things happening at the same time.?? not if someone has a tattoo that was 10 years old and is now breastfeeding?? sorry for my stupid question. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I guess this only applies to a new tattoo while breastfeeding?? as in both things happening at the same time.?? not if someone has a tattoo that was 10 years old and is now breastfeeding?? sorry for my stupid question. marie.
    Only for new ones while breastfeeding.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (19-06-2015)