+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My tattooist won't tattoo women while breastfeeding due to the small chance of the mother/baby having a reaction to the ink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tattoos while breastfeeding is VERY dangerous. Any GOOD/reputable tattooist will not tattoo while you are pregnant and breastfeeding.

For once I totally agree with an article and ban on breastfeeding! It's harmful and why can't a bloody person wait that little bit longer until they finish BF? Seriously selfish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know that I support the idea of a court dictating to a mother whether she can breastfeed her child. What if the mother was highly promiscuous, would it be OK to ban her from breastfeeding on the chance she contracts HIV or Hep from unsafe sex? I hadn't read anything about drug use but it sets an awfully dangerous precedent when we start banning something like breastfeeding because of a parent's lifestyle. I've read a few comments on FB as well about waiting until she was finished before getting a tattoo. The same can be said for having a drink while breastfeeding or driving while tired (as I suspect many, many parents do). Where is the line between being dictated to and having agency to make a decision after weighing up the risks?

It's pretty complicated, I'll be very interested to see what happens at the appeal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-06-2015),Mezmerised  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Tattoos while breastfeeding is VERY dangerous. Any GOOD/reputable tattooist will not tattoo while you are pregnant and breastfeeding.

For once I totally agree with an article and ban on breastfeeding! It's harmful and why can't a bloody person wait that little bit longer until they finish BF? Seriously selfish
    What makes it so dangerous? I didn't think there were actually any recorded cases of HIV/hepatitis from tattoos in Australia (I'm still trawling through studies to make sure that stat is correct though so don't quote me on it.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Can you please provide scientific evidence for your claim?
    I'd also like some backing to this claim.

From my understanding, it's practically a non issue if you are going to a reputable tattooist that follows all hygiene practices.

What is more of an issue is the increased chance of your body rejecting the ink or hindering the healing process. That in itself should be enough of a reason for mums to wait until they've finished breastfeeding. Considering a tattoo is going to be on your skin forever, there's no rush.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mum banned from breastfeeding after getting a tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Can you please provide scientific evidence for your claim?
    Infections, etc straight to blood ******.

My friend enquired about it and got it done at another parlour because her original artist refused.

Maybe some tattoo artists just prefer not doing it im not sure! But I agree with it not being ok too.
    Last edited by monnie24; 18-06-2015 at 20:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are they going to police whether she's breastfeeding or not?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmummahen View Post
    How are they going to police whether she's breastfeeding or not?
    That's exactly what I was wondering. Such an odd thing to ban.I can't see how it can possibly be monitored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wtf... The baby daddy sounds like an abusive control freak and the judge just gave him the keys to the kingdom..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (18-06-2015),PomPoms  (18-06-2015),sajimum  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

No more dangerous than the mother breastfeeding after having a shag with a bloke. Maybe all pregnant/breastfeeding women should be banned from having intimate relations?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (18-06-2015),tazz475  (19-06-2015)