+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mum banned from breastfeeding after getting a tattoo

My first thought, aside from WTF, is how the hell are they going to even know if she does?!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...eeding/6556086

A judge has banned a mother from breastfeeding because she got a tattoo, ruling the woman's decision to get it four weeks earlier exposed her 11-month-old baby to an unacceptable risk of harm.

Federal Circuit Court Judge Matthew Myers' decision to grant an injunction to stop the woman from breastfeeding her son comes despite the mother recording negative results on hepatitis and HIV tests.

Judge Myers said there was still an unacceptable risk to the baby because the tests were not conclusive.

The case came before the court because the baby's father raised concerns about the mother's tattoo during a bitter parenting dispute.

The decision has shocked breastfeeding advocates like Dr Karleen Gribble from the University of Western Sydney.

"I think if it were reasonable then we would have very, very many women in Australia who would be quite horrified and perhaps child protection authorities should be taking action because many mothers who are breastfeeding get tattoos — very often of their children's names," she said.

In making the ruling, Judge Myers relied on material published by the Australian Breastfeeding Association.

Chief executive officer Rebecca Naylor said she is worried a dangerous precedent could be set.

"Tattooing is a regulated industry, so if you go to a tattoo parlour that is reputable then the chances [of contracting an infection] are very low," she said.

"I think unless there's evidence that she has contracted an infection as a result of that tattoo, then it is unreasonable.

"Tattooing in and of itself, as long as it's done in reputable way and that the infection control procedures are followed, the risk is low and so no, we would absolutely encourage women who have had tattoos to breastfeed their babies for as long as they choose to."

Ms Naylor also flagged broader concerns about the wider implications of the ruling, saying it raised questions about a judge's right to control the risk taking behaviours of women.

" Does that mean that women who expose themselves to any sort of risks around the contraction of a blood-borne virus... shouldn't be allowed to breast feed?" she said.

"Of course we have to consider the risk to babies, and I'm not in any way dismissing that.

"Women do need to be careful. "They're feeding a child, it's going to be their main source of nutrition up until they're 12 months of age, so you do have to be careful.

"But it doesn't mean that you have to wrap yourself in glad wrap."

Dr Gribble said she had never seen a case like this before.

"I'm only aware of one case where somebody contracted HIV from tattooing and that was somebody who'd got a tattoo in Bali, not somebody who'd gotten it in Australia," she said.

"I think when it comes to mothers and breastfeeding, we need to consider that mothers are people, they do things.

"Sometimes there's a risk associated with what they do, but we generally think that they don't need to protect their children from all risk and it [comes down to] considering, is this a reasonable risk?

"Most people consider that the risk of contracting HIV or hepatitis from using a tattoo parlour, and particularly if they've been careful about checking it out, is infinitesimally small."

A full bench of the Family Court has agreed to hear an urgent appeal against the ruling in Sydney tomorrow.
    Last edited by Moxy; 18-06-2015 at 15:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not about the baby it's about one parent having a go at the other. Sounds like a very bitter relationship break down which is sad for the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious to know what the actual risk is of contacting anything from a tattoo parlour in Australia. I'll have a Google later but if anyone knows.....

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely there has to be more to this story because from where is sit the best interests of the child are not being considered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can HIV even be spread through breastmilk??
    How do they know the cow didn't get a tattoo when it was making the milk.,,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

amyd  (18-06-2015),Once Upon a Time  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Unfortunately it can but it's more likely to occur when the baby is in utero.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    How do they know the cow didn't get a tattoo when it was making the milk.,,
    Yes - HIV is absolutely transmissible through breastfeeding. I used to work in the HIV field - the chance of this woman contracting hiv from a tattoo parlour in australia that is using proper sterilizing procedures is so so remote it's basically a non-issue. Very strange judgement.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Once Upon a Time  (18-06-2015),TheGooch  (18-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw this on a friends facebook, on first reading it looks to me like the parenting dispute is the real issue.

Hope that the courts can sort this out quickly and the bub can continue to be BF

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mum banned from breastfeeding after getting a tattoo

There is more to the story than just the tattoo, the article I read said that she had also been using drugs whilst breastfeeding.
    Given that, the fact the child is 11 months, and the other parent has concern for the child's welfare, i don't think the ban is completely over the top.