+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Day 21 Blood test question

I recently went to see my GP for a referral to a FS and he suggested getting some bloods done before I go (have had bloods done last year and they came back fine, of course things may have changed).
    Problem is he was pretty vague re tests so I asked is there a specific day in my cycle I should get BT? Having heard of the day 21 test? He said probably better in the 2nd half of your cycle and maybe day 18 would be better than day 21 given my last 4 cycles have been 25 days... (I hate vague instruction!). So I just got the BT on day 18 as told, results tomorrow.
    So I started BBT this month also and it looks like I O'd on day 17 (OPK also looked promising on day 16). If this is true, would a day 18 BT be inaccurate?? ie progesterone etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It might be ok, I think it's typical for it to be done on day 21 though. I think the hormones change pretty quickly post-ovulation so if you did ovulate prior to the BT it will probably be evident. If the FS isn't happy with the results or the timing they will get you to retest (which they may do anyway if there are other tests they want to run at the same time).

When do you see the FS?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It might be ok, I think it's typical for it to be done on day 21 though. I think the hormones change pretty quickly post-ovulation so if you did ovulate prior to the BT it will probably be evident. If the FS isn't happy with the results or the timing they will get you to retest (which they may do anyway if there are other tests they want to run at the same time).

When do you see the FS?
    I don't see the FS until next month, was as early as I could get in. I am sure there will me a whole set of new tests then. GP tomorrow so I'll quiz him further. The BT was done the morning after I apparently O'd.
    I just want to know where I stand IYKWIM? Are we doing all this BD'ing for nothing...
    Frustrating thing is I went to my GP 12 months ago (when we started trying) to make sure my body was working properly. But no one seems to take you seriously if you haven't been trying long... Now I am super desperate and very impatient 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @sunnygirl79 Typically it's CD2/3 and CD21 for bloods to check estrogen, progesterone, LH, FSH, prolactin levels etc.

Here's a link to what we call "Baseline Blood tests":

https://books.google.com.au/books?id... be%3F&f=false

Hope it helps Luv

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    @sunnygirl79 Typically it's CD2/3 and CD21 for bloods to check estrogen, progesterone, LH, FSH, prolactin levels etc.

Here's a link to what we call "Baseline Blood tests":

https://books.google.com.au/books?id... be%3F&f=false

Hope it helps Luv
    Thank you. Doc never said anything about day2/3 tests. Interesting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @sunnygirl79 It's a bit hard to get an overall picture without testing both at the beginning and end of your Cycle. In saying that, your FS will run all those tests mentioned in the link as well as your AMH and they'll also test your DH's (I presume from your photo) swimmers as well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Day 2/3 tests are to test FSH and LH mainly,
    the Day 21 test isn't about being CD21 but rather 7DPO as that is when progesterone reaches its peak.
    E.g. A 25 Day cycle, it would be fair to assume that ovulation is likely occuring around CD11, thus making your FS suggestion of "Day 21" bloods at CD18 fair enough.

If you aren't ovulating until CD16/17 it would suggest you have a short luetal phase which I'm sure he'll work on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CodieBloom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CodieBloom View Post
    Day 2/3 tests are to test FSH and LH mainly,
    the Day 21 test isn't about being CD21 but rather 7DPO as that is when progesterone reaches its peak.
    E.g. A 25 Day cycle, it would be fair to assume that ovulation is likely occuring around CD11, thus making your FS suggestion of "Day 21" bloods at CD18 fair enough.

If you aren't ovulating until CD16/17 it would suggest you have a short luetal phase which I'm sure he'll work on.
    Thanks it was my GP, not my FS - still waiting for that appointment! And yes I have suggested to my GP several times I think I have a short LP but he doesn't seem concerned. Hence, the appt with the FS 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my blood results - progesterone was low (6.5) although given I had the tests on day 18 (when I O'd on day 17), my GP thinks this could have been the reason (ie Progesterone takes a few days to peak after O).
    So, I'm none the wiser, just have to wait for FS appt.

On the positive, my temps have stayed elevated (pre-O was around 36.3 and now up to 37.0), so feeling pretty confident that I did O and so far so good... I just hope this is a longer cycle, not 25 days like my last 3 (in which I don't know whether or not I O'd).
    I think we BD too early this cycle, thinking I O'd earlier than I did 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that sounds fairly promising fx for a longer cycle!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CodieBloom For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (18-06-2015)