+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Not allowed to as I lost consciousness while donating once. Automatic life disqualification apparently my body doesn't cope well with donating. I was fine with the needle but started feeling light headed after they took about 200 mls.

I did too once but they didn't ban me. Maybe the rules changed or it's different in each state. It happened to be because I hadn't drank enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Not allowed to as I lost consciousness while donating once. Automatic life disqualification apparently my body doesn't cope well with donating. I was fine with the needle but started feeling light headed after they took about 200 mls.
    Really a ban? Or a nurse just saying not to do it again? If you go in to donate do they turn you away. Sooooo many people faint before during and after but normally you get told to drink more water not never come again. I'm really interested to know more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I ticked that box on a form once. Was that all I had to do? They don't need to do anymore tests?
    Nope! They just took an few more tubes of blood I believe and then I got a letter in the mail saying I was on the register!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum and cousin have both been ban because of this. They had donated quite a few times before as well.

I haven't donated - but would like to start after I finish the pregnancy/breastfeeding cycle I'm on which has lasted the last 5 years so far! I have received quite a lot of blood after a bad motorbike accident many years ago and so I'm forever grateful to people who do donate.

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Really a ban? Or a nurse just saying not to do it again? If you go in to donate do they turn you away. Sooooo many people faint before during and after but normally you get told to drink more water not never come again. I'm really interested to know more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never donated and I have really crappy veins for blood tests and a bit of a phobia after them having had trouble getting required blood in the past. But I'm getting over that after two full term pregnancies and a mc which all meant plenty of blood tests so I think I'd like to donate. Bubs just turned 9 months so my exclusion period has just ended after birth. Guess I should just do it!

I've never needed blood but came close after my first bub was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you donate blood? Have you ever needed Blood

I have donated a few times but haven't been able to for a few years (IVF, pregnancy, breastfeeding). I used to organise groups at work to go down to the donor centre every 3 months. I can donate now but need to wait until I kick this annoying bug! I have no issues with needles or anything like that but I do take aaaages to donate - my blood flows slowly! I'm ONeg so I get a lot of reminders.

Never needed blood myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2-3 times a year (when I'm eligible) especially because I am O-. My Dad is the same and I remember him giving blood when I was a child. I had two blood transfusions as a teenager.
    DH donates once or twice a year too!
    I donated last week, the UK is in desperate need of donors, especially types A, O and B.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...lflow_facebook

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never needed blood so far and I also never donated. I'm scared of the needle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I would love to but can't because my veins are too small and even if they weren't because of my job I can only donate plasma.
    What's your job that stops you donating blood?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have donated but not received. I wanted to donate cord blood but DD came on a day that they don't do collections.