+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love to donate, but I have a needle phobia, and a history of fainting with blood tests. When I spoke to someone on the mobile unit about donating despite my phobia, they said they would prefer it if I didn't because chances were pretty good I would faint. I can't argue with that. I'd take up a bed for much longer than necessary and they'd have to stop the collection early. Better off getting people in who aren't going to cause them the hassle.

I've never had to receive blood products, but my dad has had multiple transfusions after a nearly fatal motorbike accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I havnt donated blood before but would love to.
    Yes I've had a blood transfusion 2 years ago and my second son had one 7 years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cannot donate due to a blood disorder.
    I've received a blood product transfusion in the past and may need more in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I donate when I can, I have trouble with low iron and I'm currently pregnant so I'm out for a while at the moment!

I also work in the blood service and see firsthand how badly donations are needed and how donations can and do literally save lives every day.

To to those who donate or have tried, you have helped save lives and you're pretty amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a universal donor so I used to donate regularly. Every time I did, though, my iron levels would drop really low. Not sure what the deal was with that!

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was inspired by this thread and donated. Unfortunately i moved and the needle came out. Booked in to try again in February, then it will be a regular thing. I was told i have good veins for platelet donation, too. Feeling good about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post

I feel like I should call them up and see if I can donate again. A friend of mine was told to not donate while she was TTC but I could probably fit in another couple of donations before starting IVF.
    I gave blood on the weekend and mentioned during the interview that we're TTC but I knew I wasn't pregnant at the time. She told me to make that my last donation because it can take 8-10 weeks for your iron to build back up and pregnancy is already stressful on your body. So it may be worth checking with your FS before donating.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

to everyone donating .... thank you.