+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When people leave their trolleys in the middle of the aisle while browsing the shelf halfway down the aisle so you have to move their trolley to get past.

Or when people have their trolley pushed to one side of the aisle but are looking for something on the other side, subsequently blocking the entire aisle.

When the checkout chick takes great interest in your shopping and comments on them. This has happened when buying pregnancy tests and condoms. No complete stranger I do not want to enter a conversation with you about my sex life or how I might be pregnant with my first child. For this reason I will mostly use the self service checkout unless I've done a full shop and have to go through the proper checkout. Then I will choose the one with the young teenage boy who will be too embarrassed while scanning pregnancy tests and condoms to start a conversation about them.

When people are oblivious to what their children are doing while in the supermarket. ie running up the aisles pushing the trolley that they're too short to see over the top of while mum and/or dad are deep in discussion for 10 mins over which brand of tomato sauce to buy, meanwhile their kids are ramming the trolley into shelves/display stands/other people etc

People who are talking loudly on their mobile phone. I followed a bloke around Coles the other day (not by choice mind you) and you could hear ever word he was saying from halfway up the aisle. Dude, I just want to shop in relative peace.

People who are on their phones going through the checkout totally ignoring the checkout chick. HANG UP YOUR PHONE! I'm not one for deep conversation with the checkout chick, but I do have manners.

People who take a full trolley through the self serve checkout. Now I love self serve and will go through with one of those half trolleys, but it's usually because I've got something heavy or I've done shopping elsewhere and can't manage a basket plus all my other bags. I'm usually done within a min or 2 and I will always go to a checkout that's in the end so my trolley isn't in the middle of walkway. I will admit through, I have done this once. But the queues for the proper checkouts were ridiculous and there was hardly anyone in the self serve section. It meant I was done well before I would've even been able to load my groceries on the conveyor belt.

People who can't work out self serve checkouts and take twice as long as what it would take to go through a normal checkout. I mean, they're really easy. If I accidentally double scan something I'll clear the item then call out to the attendant. If you wait for them to see your flashing light you'll wait forever so I just call out to them. I've never had an issue with anyone being rude and huffy about it, I mean that's why they're there - to help. But if I have to wait 10 mins for someone to scan through a loaf of bread, milk and some bananas, I get impatient very quickly!

People who go through full service checkouts with a handful of things while self service/express/baskets only checkouts are virtually empty.

The fact that on really busy times (ie Christmas) the supermarket still will only have 2-3 full checkouts operating despite there being 6-7 people queued up at each register with a full trolley piled with food. OPEN MORE REGISTERS! If I'm shopping in a crowd I'm already going to be grouchy. Waiting 45 min at the register will only make me ragey.

When you're standing in a line with only a few items and someone asks to go in front of you because they only have bread and milk. I usually say yes because it's easier, but why should they butt in just because they have 2 items to my 6? I get it when I have a full shop in my trolley and they're just buying milk or whatever, but some people think they're entitled. If it's someone with a screaming child or whatever I'll take pity and let them through no dramas because I can only guess that they want to get out of there faster than anyone else wants them to.

Wow, I just realised what a grouchy shopper I can be lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (21-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    People who do full shops on weekends! The shops ARE open after 5pm every day people! Why deal with crowds if you can go when there's less people.

Checkout operators who have no idea how to pack bags and end up squashing my bread or overloading some bags so I can barely lift them.

Gah! So many more I'm sure!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm just going to agree with everyone that's posted. I am a super grouchy shopper, made even more grouchy when I have a disgruntled baby to contend with.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Supermarket Pet Hates *(Sort of Spin-off)*

When the checkout packs my cold stuff in with my regular groceries, even though I clearly divide it as I am an ex checkout chick - I have been known to unpack the cold stuff, leave the rest only to discover my $7 Jalna yoghurt was in with the tins. Thank goodness for Aldi!

People who don't move up so you can't unload your stuff.

If you do a big shop late at night and they only have self serve open. This has happened to me and I got quite cranky.

If you do a big shop late at night and nothing is on the shelves - has happened on a number of occasions and that's mainly why I go on weekends unless I brave it with the two kids

I actually love grocery shopping though. It's one of my favourite things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I thought of another massive peeve for me - the deli departments in Coles not using the numbered ticketed system for serving customers, even though they have that facility

I have found this issue at a few different Coles stores. You rock up to the deli to take a number and when you pull a ticket out it's some random number nowhere close to the number on the display. So they're serving people on a 'who's next' basis, rather than using the ticketed system.

It's fine when it's super quiet, but when there are 4 or more people you've got a recipe for queue jumping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My biggest qualm is checkout staff who have no idea about packing the bags. I've never personally done the job but surely it's mostly logic and a smidgen of common sense. When I put my cold stuff together on the belt- it means I want it packed together!! I also don't want my bread packed in with vegetables!! 😤

And something I witnessed yesterday that really pressed my buttons was watching a lady coughing and spluttering all over the apples while she picked out the ones she wanted and dropping a few on the floor while she was at it. Apparently she didn't get the hint when I glared at her with disgust. Revolting.

Oh and people who poke at the meat and squish it, rendering it spoiled because they broke the plastic with their grotty nails. Yes, I've seen people do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Checkout staff who haven't learned how to pack! NO, don't put cooked meat in with raw meat! You broke the eggs again?? (This is why I use self-serve. Yes, even with a full trolley! The self-serve aisles near us are really spacious. I can scan, pack, load trolley and pay for a full load in 10 mins or less).

People who shop with a trolley and a pram... Two steps forward with trolley, two steps forward with pram. WTF?

Leaving trolleys in the middle of the aisle and getting narky when people move them to the side. Sorry darl, but you don't own the trolley, and the stuff inside isn't yours until you pay for it, now MOVE!

People who 'sample' stuff. BTW it's not 'sampling' if you drink a carton of milk and don't pay for it. It's stealing.

Kids running around. Yes, mu kids help me shop. But they don't RUN. They certainly don't run over to people, tip things out of their hands, laugh and run away.

Screaming- it's not kids, it's adults.

People who squish all the bread to see if it's fresh. You don't have to squish it completely. Just give it a light squeeze!

People who decide they no longer want an item and put it whereever the nearest space it... could be 5 aisles away from where it is supposed to be.

People on their mobiles and pushing a trolley. WATCH where you are going!

You know what my biggest pet peeve is- PEOPLE!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (16-06-2015),LaDiDah  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One that hasn't been mentioned. People who don't turn their trolleys side on when they're queuing at the checkout, get two or three trolleys and the whole front of the store has been blocked

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    * People that queue jump. I've had a few experiences similar to what happened in the thread this thread stems from. Just blatant cutting in. And it's always older people which I find funny as they are usually really uptight about manners. I'm so glad our deli finally started enforcing the numbers at the deli as the oldies were shocking for walking up, seeing me there then when the staff called "who's next" they would say ME!

* People that stand in the middle of the isle gas bagging, completely oblivious to the concept that dozens of people walk down those isles. Again it's always old people lol I had it happen only a few days ago and when I asked her politely if I could get through she gave me the biggest death stare, like I was in the wrong

* When the deli people don't put a date stamp on the parcels. Our family is obsessed about food hygiene to to point of neurosis and I forget to write the date when unpacking so good deli meat gets turfed on bc I forget when it's bought (I go to the supermarket about 4 times a week).

* When there is one check out for trolleys and 5 people lined up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really have many 'hates'. I think it's because I worked there for so long, I know how exactly to make my shopping experience a good one.
    Also I just don't let things seem a big deal; if someone's in your way, say excuse me. If their trolley is in the way, move it. It's simple really. I get more p!ssed off if I'm stuck behind someone in an aisle who is in turn stuck behind someone. Just say excuse me so we can all get through!!

I get a little bit irked by a couple of things PP's mentioned though- one being when a new checkout opens and they take the last person waiting instead of the first, and also when the deli isn't using the numbers, even though it appears to be in perfect working order.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Renn  (16-06-2015)