+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Where do I start?

As a mum to a special little girl (with ASD, ADD & ODD) I interested in opening a toy/sensory shop for children.

They're used to be one in town which closed down & there are a few shops in the area that sell bits and pieces but I get tired of driving all over town looking for specific things, or ordering online & having it 'not work' as I suspected it would.

I'm sure I'm not the only one & as we are linked in with some pretty big support services in the area, everyone has encouraged me to do it & think it would benifit their clients & community.

Now for the nitty gritty.

How do I even start? We have no savings (currently in family court over DD and abusive ex) so I cant invest any money myself. Are there government grants for this type of thing?

How do I purchase items wholesale?

And then theres renting somewhere & running cost..

any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like a great idea!

- research grants
    - contact wholesalers and suppliers directly just google
    - investigate rent, stock purchases, bond, shop fit out, insurance, security costs...
    - do a business plan with projected cash flow, competitor analysis
    - go to bank
    - seek out a business mentor

Then start;
    - finding premises
    - designing a marketing strategy
    - registering business name, gst etc
    - name, logo
    - POS and accounting software
    - get a book keeper
    - website
    - begin contacting local schools and other institutions which you think would be aligned with your clientele

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have no practical advice but I just want to say that I think it's a fabulous idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Great idea and pp has great tips - I don't want to be negative but as a small business owner you really do need savings behind you - not only for the set up costs ( average start up for a retail shop with stock and fit outs, insurance, bond, rent in advance etc is approx $50- 100k) plus I recommend having 3-6 months worth of operating expenses in the account as it will take that long for you to get regular income coming in , just be very prepared , you definitely can be successful and I wish you the best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (16-06-2015)