+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's what I've done OP, and all the better for it. Reading this thread reminds me why I keep my account going- for the due in groups and not a lot more!
    All the best.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have stayed out of this thread until now - everyone is entitled to vent a bit - and it raises a pretty important point for people to take note

That how you say something is equally as important as what you say. That while you may not intend to upset or offend someone, sometimes what you say can come across as incredibly offensive.

Its up to us all to re-read what we post and make sure that if it comes across as a bit snarky ... perhaps to tone it back a bit.

As well - its important if a thread is upsetting you - to learn to walk away from it at times. That the opinions of others on the internet are not as important as those in your real life, and you can in fact not respond.

To the OP - I hope you stay around and take the friendships and support that you find here and use it.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-06-2015),beebs  (17-06-2015),BettyV  (17-06-2015),btmacxxx  (17-06-2015),DT75  (17-06-2015),Happy Camper  (17-06-2015),harvs  (16-06-2015),MissMuppet  (16-06-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (17-06-2015),MsViking  (17-06-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (17-06-2015),SuperGranny  (17-06-2015),TheGooch  (16-06-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I have stayed out of this thread until now - everyone is entitled to vent a bit - and it raises a pretty important point for people to take note

That how you say something is equally as important as what you say. That while you may not intend to upset or offend someone, sometimes what you say can come across as incredibly offensive.

Its up to us all to re-read what we post and make sure that if it comes across as a bit snarky ... perhaps to tone it back a bit.

As well - its important if a thread is upsetting you - to learn to walk away from it at times. That the opinions of others on the internet are not as important as those in your real life, and you can in fact not respond.

To the OP - I hope you stay around and take the friendships and support that you find here and use it.
    I agree. Sensible advice as always
    Just want to suggest that it can't always be the responsibility of the writer to know how they're going to be received. Agree that re-reading before hitting send to check for snark is great, and so is re-reading someone else's posts before assigning negativity, blame, tone that may not exist. I watch some threads go down hill and think "how the hell did that happen?!?!?" I honestly didn't see snark when others did.
    I just don't see it as being necessarily any more important as the writer OR the reader but equal responsibility in a shared relationship on a forum to participate constructively.
    For what it's worth...

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-06-2015),beebs  (17-06-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (16-06-2015),btmacxxx  (17-06-2015),MsViking  (17-06-2015),onionskin  (17-06-2015),SuperGranny  (17-06-2015),~Marigold~  (16-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I agree. Sensible advice as always
    Just want to suggest that it can't always be the responsibility of the writer to know how they're going to be received. Agree that re-reading before hitting send to check for snark is great, and so is re-reading someone else's posts before assigning negativity, blame, tone that may not exist. I watch some threads go down hill and think "how the hell did that happen?!?!?" I honestly didn't see snark when others did.
    I just don't see it as being necessarily any more important as the writer OR the reader but equal responsibility in a shared relationship on a forum to participate constructively.
    For what it's worth...
    Totally agree.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

DT75  (17-06-2015),TheGooch  (16-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Don't gooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I didn't think the theme park thread was overly bad however perhaps that's because my standards are too low - I've been part of some threads that have really gone bad in terms of mean-spirited behavior. I've also been sent nasty private messages.

Sometimes I've felt like giving it all the flick and after one particularly unpleasant experience I stepped back for a bit.

What helps put a smile back on the face - after an unpleasant experience I've always found that it isn't too long before you get a nice private message (or two or three ) from another hubber.

Regarding the theme park thread I was generally in agreement however I was a bit confused by the layout of the area and where the pram was (distance etc). I also have problems reading maps but that's a whole other thread. I do find it funny sometimes when people get their knickers in a knot saying we can't judge other mums - it appears it is actually ok to judge as long as that mum is Gabi Grecko

Hang in there and PM me if ya want a chat xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (17-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    @KillerHeels sorry you feel that way - I deliberately didn't read the offending thread - I could tell it was heated due to the number of replies. I have found blocking members whose posts upset me has helped a lot. Ignorance is bliss and all that (until the post is quoted that is)
    Didn't know you could do that. How do you block members?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope you don't go op, I would be sad to see you go as your advice has been invaluable to me and quite a few other posters.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I hope you don't go op, I would be sad to see you go as your advice has been invaluable to me and quite a few other posters.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Agreed, don't let all of your time and support on here be in vain over one pear shaped thread. (FWIW I agreed with you all the way through that thread and found it went off track completely).
    There are so many lovely, supportive and genuine women on here, don't let a few bad eggs taint it for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I hope we have convinced you to stay @KillerHeels 💐😃

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    You are referring to me
    I think if you're going to come on and talk about "another member" being "very nasty" you are absolutely worse than what you perceived I was. I know the exact post you are referring to, your description makes that clear. In no way was it "nasty". Yes i defended myself and explained i knew the op was venting and stated i didn't need it pointed out to me. This "tit for tat" business you imply i was out for is completely unwarranted.
    Putting your opinion across is one thing, but openly (passive aggressively) referring to me as "very nasty" is pretty hypercritical.
    If you felt my post was offensive towards you (not my intention) was nasty, report it, rather than bad mouth me. Thanks.

I shouldn't have referred to a previous post in this thread anyway and for that I apologise, there really was no need for me to bring it up in trying to offer support to the OP of this particular thread. In doing that I am the one doing the 'tit for tat' thing anyway, which is one thing I do (supposedly) try to steer clear of.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-06-2015),KiWolf  (17-06-2015),Wise Enough  (17-06-2015),~Marigold~  (17-06-2015)