+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Normal af then bfp

I've got a strange one to run past you all.

Had implanon removed to try for baby number two, took 6 weeks for af to show up post removal and it was my first period since conceiving my son in almost 2 years prior.

Previously I had long cycles and seemed to ovulate later (cycles could be up 43 days) but I have no idea what is normal for me now.

Anyway, after that first af arrived I identified my fertile days via cm and ovulation pain and bd around that time.

Next period started exactly 1 month after my last (a bit early for me historically, but as I said I don't know what my normal is at the moment). It was a regular period, not hugely heavily not light. I needed tampons around the clock for first 3 days and then 2 days of lighter spotting. Nothing unusual. It was first month of trying post implanon so didn't really expect to conceive yet anyway.

What was strange was that on day 5 of period I had a lot of discomfort in my left ovary area. Not severe pain but dull achey feeling. Not sure what prompted me to do this but I did a hpt that night and it was positive.

My first thought was ectopic with the pain or early miscarriage. I thought there was no way it could be a normal viable pregnancy with that amount of bleeding.

I called nurse on call and they said to see a doctor that night due to possibility of ectopic. I ended up going to a women's hospital emergency as it was near midnight and no docs were open, I didn't really feel it was an emergency though.

Anyway, bloods showed hcg of 50 and told me to come back in 2 days for repeat.
    Doc told me that most likely scenario was levels would go down and it was a early miscarriage, levels would stay around the same and they would suspect ectopic or very slim chance, highly unlikely that levels would double as you would expect normal pregnancy.

Anyway, had repeat bloods and level was 120 (was 40 hours later). I was very surprised as I had already convinced myself levels would have gone down. The doctor said still very high chance pregnancy won't progress or still could be ectopic.

I've got bloods again tomorrow and an ultrasound (two days after last bloods). I really don't think they will see anything on ultrasound since it is so early, even if hcg has double it will only under 300. But I think they should be able to rule out ectopic?

So my question is, do you think there is any chance pregnancy could be viable? I'm telling myself it's a miscarriage because it will be easier to handle if I'm wrong than thinking is viable and finding our it's not.

Pain in ovary is gone, no bleeding since finished "period" 4 days ago so I don't really think it's ectopic or if it was it's gone now.

Anyone been in this situation? I feel in limbo because I can't be happy but I don't feel sad either. If it is a miscarriage I feel ok about it because I know it's so common and if I hadn't tested I may not have known. I've never had a miscarriage before and I'm only 29, no issues conceiving or with pregnancy of my son (gave birth 14 months ago)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yeah it is possible the pregnancy is viable especially as the hcg seems to be doubling normally. Bleeding in early pregnancy is actually quite common. Fx for a good outcome for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible with normal period flow for three days? I would think that spotting or maybe 1 day of bleeding might be fairly normal for pregnancy but not the amount I had for as long as I had. I'm interested to know if others have had this also. I'm a planner and I'm finding this not knowing difficult, I want to be excited but can't be in case it doesn't progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess I just have to wait don't I? No one has a crystal ball

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yes I have heard of people having quite heavy bleeding throughout pregnancy. Often due to haematomas I think? I had heaps of spotting with my ds but that was at 6-8 weeks, no where near full period flow though. I think it was from an irritated cervix.

I think all you can do is see if your hcg levels are increasing and get a scan. However if the scan is too early it won't show much. Best time is 7-8 weeks I think for a dating scan, often you can see a hb at 6 weeks but not always.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I don't think the scan will show much, I think I'm only about 5 weeks. I think they want to do it to see if they can rule out ectopic. My feeling now is that it's not, so I feel like the scan won't answer many questions. Even if they see something I'm sure it won't be heartbeat so I won't know if it's just too early or not a viable pregnancy. I would rather wait a week to be honest, I think they'll send me for a repeat one anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @drdaw there were 2 seperate occasions at my high school where girls didn't know they were pregnant as AF still arrived as normal for several months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I suppose weirder things have happened.

I've got the scan and bloods again this arvo so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what's going on after that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How did you go this afternoon? When do you get some results?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @GemimaPuddleduck - the bloods doubled again but are still low (250). Nothing on the scan at all which isn't surprising with such low levels. I started bleeding again just before the ultrasound, and needed a pad for the rest of the afternoon.

They still don't know if I'm miscarrying. If I am I wish it would happen sooner rather than later, but my bloods have doubled twice in 4 days.

I have another bloods and scan in one week, so we shall see. With my levels rising I'm staring to feel a bit sick and sore boobs. I'm also getting a cold which is not helpful