+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter suffers what has been diagnosed as "chronic daily headaches". We have found a 6 week course of Sandimigran (taken nightly) breaks the cycle of headaches for a few months...
    Her dad has a history of severe migraine (bedbound for several days with extreme vomiting and pain)... I sincerely hope she doesn't develop the same thing...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My current GP diagnosed me with migraines, and prescribed Sandomigran as a preventative; but that had no effect whatsoever - although I did gain 22kg in about 6 months.

A previous GP diagnosed me with Occipital Neuralgia, and suggested improving my posture, taking anti-inflammatories, and using heat packs on the back of my neck. The heat packs did sometimes temporarily ease things off a bit, but within half an hour of removing it, the headaches came roaring back again.

Back in November 2012, I spent a night in Emergency with what at that point was a week long migraine, with a new symptom of left sided facial numbness; and there they suggested I drink a glass or two of water each morning when I got out of bed, in case dehydration was a contributing factor. That also made no difference at all, apart from making me need to run to the bathroom more often.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get terrible headaches and the occasional migraine around once a month. For me its a problem with my neck and shoulders. When I get the headaches I will also get corresponding pain behind my right eye and they always last 2-3 days.

I haven't found anything that helps long-term. For ages I saw a chiro once a month but even with PHI it's far too expensive, it did help a fair bit, but in the end the pain always came back so eventually I gave up on it. I've also seen physios, had dry needling, had massages etc. Nothing lasts, even when I do the bazillion exercises the physio gets me to do.

I can't take a lot of the painkillers (NSAIDS) anymore and I hate codeine so I usually just put up with them. I should probably go to the dr and see what my other painkiller options are. Cold packs on the back of your neck can help take the edge off when you have a headache (rather than heat packs) - they work quite well for me. DH gets roped into giving my neck and shoulders a massage too. Eventually they headache will go away on its own, until next time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get this and also migraines. Since I was three years old. The headaches always threaten to become a migraine. The visual disturbances ('aura') do not occur with all migraine sufferers so you may well be getting migraines.

I don't get the aura and my headaches are at their worst when my neck and shoulders are tense. Maybe try and find a remedial massage therapist who is really good with necks and shoulders. The headaches may get worse for a day or two afterwards but I found they decreased in frequency and intensity after that (until I needed another one).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I too have suffered with chronic headaches and migraines and about five years ago I started seeing an osteo. I'm really not an Osteo kind of person but after years of pain and trying acupuncture, chiros, remedial massage and basically living on pain killers I gave it a go and the difference has been amazing.
    If anyone is in Perth and ever wants a name, just shoot me a pm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've had pretty bad headaches since a child when I hurt my neck and back in an accident. One of the damage points was the 2nd cervical disc (I think that's right?) which is on the hair line on the neck. That's the one that gives me the headaches. But I find stress really makes it worse. That area feeds into the shoulders where I get tension which makes my neck worse and visa versa.

I find heat in the form of showers and heat bags helps a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Cold packs on the back of your neck can help take the edge off when you have a headache (rather than heat packs) - they work quite well for me.
    I once read some random FB thing about putting your feet in a bucket of warm/hot water and a cold pack on your neck. Something about redirecting circulation. Have you tried that? I forgot about it until you mentioned the cold pack.

I'd love to book in for a remedial massage. Got to wait for the $$ though. I might speak to another GP too.

Headache is much better today, but I can still feel bits of it left over, ready to flare up if I'm not careful.

Sorry to hear so many of you suffer from this. It sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suffered migraines since I was a teenager and am now on a blocker medication, I had had enough of them and not being to rest when having one when you have kids was not convenient. Now I take a tablet when I know I am getting a migraine and it stops it in it's tracks. My neuro said try not to take anything for a headache unless I absolutely have to.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I once read some random FB thing about putting your feet in a bucket of warm/hot water and a cold pack on your neck. Something about redirecting circulation. Have you tried that? I forgot about it until you mentioned the cold pack.

I'd love to book in for a remedial massage. Got to wait for the $$ though. I might speak to another GP too.

Headache is much better today, but I can still feel bits of it left over, ready to flare up if I'm not careful.

Sorry to hear so many of you suffer from this. It sucks!
    Ugh yeah one has come on today after I posted this. They totally suck.

Not sure on the feet in the bucket thing, worth a try though isn't it!? The cold pack on the back of the neck is meant to cool the blood going to your head or something, and that can help dim the pain. I find it works - was a trick the chiro taught me. Cold packs on your forehead help too. Then use heat packs on your shoulders/neck when you don't have a headache, to try and relax the tense muscles and prevent another one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)