+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Chronic headaches

Anyone else deal with this?
    Has anyone recognised a trigger/cause for their headaches? Care to share?
    What do you do for your headches? Was just reading an article that said too much meds can sometimes cause rebound headaches. Fab.

So over it. Head is hurting today plus I have that fogginess feeling that I sometimes get. I had 2 Panadeine's this morning, went back to bed, but still no good. Just took a Brufen which I rarely take. So we'll see how that goes.

I have been to the GP. He had no bright idea, though sent me for a CT which was clear.
    His next offer was to see a neurologist for an MRI but I can't afford it and wasn't sure it if was overkill or not.

I wouldn't really say it's a migraine, but I'm not sure. I don't really get any of the visual type things associated with migraines.

I think I might try a diary to see if it's dietary related or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had headaches and migraines for as long as I can remember - mum thinks about 4. Sometimes there worse for a while, sometimes better. I've even had a period of about 9 months where I had chronic daily headaches that were all day every day.

I have found mine were far worse when stressed, so year 12 and uni were awful with migraines at least once a week that I would be throwing up and not able to see. They also seem to be better since having kids, I still get headaches every couple of weeks but have only had a handful of migraines in the last 3 years.

As far as treatments, I've seen a couple of neurologists and had multiple treatments. Too much panadol definitely gave rebound headaches so used to take nurofen plus with food for bad headaches/migraines. I tend to just put up with smaller headaches but have to make sure I take something quick if I think it's turning into a migraine.

I've also been on multiple preventatives with the most useful being amitryptaline (endep) at night but stopped that when I fell pregnant with DS1.

Food triggers I found as a teenager were caffeine in all forms so no tea, coke or chocolate 😔 and I know dairy is a common trigger but never for me.

I've also seen a naturopath and acupuncturist.

Headaches are truly awful!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (13-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had chronic headaches for over 3 years now. I'm starting to suspect it's occipital neuralgia.

Like you, I also had a scan which showed no issues.

They last 3 days. I take a drug called Imigran which is the only thing that takes the pain away. I usually have to take 3 or 4 doses during the course of the headache to keep the pain from returning to full force.

I've just started to see a new GP and I had bloods done this morning. I've also asked for a referral to a neurologist.

I have found weekly trips to physio for dry needling/massage seems to keep the headaches at bay (I have very tight neck & shoulder muscles), but that's not feasible or affordable! I need to try my best to get to the bottom of the cause which is why I'm taking a medical approach now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

CMF  (13-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For those who have had them since childhood do you have good range of motion in your tongue? Have you considered a tongue tie? X

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I've had chronic headaches for over 3 years now. I'm starting to suspect it's occipital neuralgia.

Like you, I also had a scan which showed no issues.

They last 3 days. I take a drug called Imigran which is the only thing that takes the pain away. I usually have to take 3 or 4 doses during the course of the headache to keep the pain from returning to full force.

I've just started to see a new GP and I had bloods done this morning. I've also asked for a referral to a neurologist.

I have found weekly trips to physio for dry needling/massage seems to keep the headaches at bay (I have very tight neck & shoulder muscles), but that's not feasible or affordable! I need to try my best to get to the bottom of the cause which is why I'm taking a medical approach now.
    Sounds similar! I've been having this about 2-3 years. Lasts on average 2-3 days, but can last as long as a week. And I don't really have much more than a week without a headache.
    I do have very very tight neck/shoulder muscles. My right side in particular atm is very sore.
    I want to get a massage to see if that helps, but knowing how tight I am I'd probably need a series of massages! And yes, the $$$ are the issue.

Everyone straight away says to me; stress. They all say my life is so stressful, I forever get comments about how if they lived my life they'd be rocking back and forth in a corner lol. And I do recognise my life has a whoooole lot of stuff going on. But the thing is I don't feel stressed. I let everything just roll off me. I very very rarely feel stressed. So I'm not sure if my headaches can be stress related if I don't feel stressed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had headaches and migraines on and off since I was 10 - so about 30 years now. No doctor has ever been able to discover what's causing them, or an effective way of treating them. I have a headache most days, and an actual migraine maybe once a month. I've had CAT scans before and they also came back clear for me.

The only triggers I've been able to identify are strong smells (petrol, perfume, nail polish, fresh paint), etc., loud noises, and bright lights. Even simply catching a quick glimpse of the sun shining through the window of the kitchen and onto the splashback at the back of the sink can be enough to start me getting lights flashing in front of my eyes, warning that a migraine may well be imminent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I also have extremely tight neck and shoulder muscles; and likewise, it just simply isn't financially affordable for me to go for a weekly massage to loosen things up, or even a weekly chiropractic appointment to see if anything's out of alignment that could be causing issues. I'm so tight sometimes it almost seems like on the occasions I do get a massage, I feel pretty good once it's finished, but then seem to have tightened up again 5 minutes later.
    Last edited by Catzilla; 13-06-2015 at 13:47.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    I also have extremely tight neck and shoulder muscles; and likewise, it just simply isn't financially affordable for me to go for a weekly massage to loosen things up, or even a weekly chiropractic appointment to see if anything's out of alignment that could be causing issues. I'm so tight sometimes it almost seems like on the occasions I do get a massage, I feel pretty good once it's finished, but then seem to have tightened up again 5 minutes later.
    This is me too. I have daily headaches and dizzy spells and I've had every test under the sun. My GP thinks it's a combo of my normal low blood pressure and the tightness of my neck and shoulder muscles and sent me for a couple of massages. It was great at first but I was so tight again a day or so later that it wasn't worth it.

I've actually found that acupuncture works longer plus I now swim daily to keep it all moving. I still have headaches but they're mild enough for me not need any medication.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest seeing a natropath. Dh used to get a lot of migraine headaches. He saw a natropath who told him to change his diet to cut out fod containing turomine (sp?) Eg. Bananas, yogurt, certain fruits, processed meats ect. He hasn't had a migrain since.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to new mum 15809 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are your headaches focused more on one side of your head/neck than the other? (But can swap around which side it's on) I had migraines like this for years. Because of the neck pain kept getting told its stress but it was migraine. I now take Inderal every day as a preventative, works brilliantly. Went from 2-3 per week to 1 every few months.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

CMF  (14-06-2015)